• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help with Title! Indiana Jones Parody

Hey Everyone,
I recently finished my first short film, Forsaken Road, which we are releasing on our website this Friday. Anyway I've been sitting on a quite hilarious slapstick Mel Brooks-esk script parodying Indiana Jones for awhile, and I'm going to make it. One problem, I can't think of a good name for the Indiana Jones character. It has to basically rhyme with Indiana Jones in some way, so it's extremely obvious. Montana something maybe? Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Haha, I intend to use this cell phone idea. We're playing around with a few parodies of the Raiders at the moment. (He falls into the tomb, starts calling on his phone for help when he sees the snakes), and instead of the iconic boulder, we're filming him running from a bike messenger through a tunnel, and the messenger is getting very annoyed ringing his bell at him, trying to pass him.

Anyway, thanks SO SO SO much for all the ideas everyone! I'll keep you all updated on our production!

I'm liking Nate's idea with a series of shorts in which he dies in most if not all of them (similar to the early Aeon Flux shorts). Lots of room to play with that. Have the person he calls actually help him through the trap...only they get distracted talking about other things and Indiana stumbles into a more obvious and simple trap. Have him drop his phone, and go through a series of VERY convoluted and complex traps to get it back, to call someone who fails to get him through the next trap. Have him call his rival archeologist/treasure hunter who, of course, is no help because he's after the same prize. Indiana gets the girl and the prize, but looses both while distracted by a phone call. And, of course, an incident and/or running gag with a really annoying ring tone...

Awesome idea. Get to work on more scripts, Nate! ;)

All this is fantastic, we're not going to have him die all the time, while that would be funny, we plan to make it more of an hour or so feature. We do have some fantastic ideas though, and with these it will be fantastic. I'll share more as we continue working on it!

We're about 20 pages into the script now, but we've hit writers block. We have plenty of Indiana Jones references, stupid cellphone calls, lots of good stuff, but we're having trouble deciding the direction the story takes after the first 15 minutes or so.

One idea we had was him trying to find "The Lost Cellphone Tower", determined to get service within even the most desolate areas of south africa.

Hi Beatlesfan, got your message, feel free to use the excerpt I wrote.

I really like the idea of the remote cell tower as a final destination.

I can really picture the last scene. Indiana has climbed nearly to the top of the tower in the middle of a huge lightning storm. (greenscreens kids, don't tell your parents I told you to climb a cell tower in a lightning storm)

He is accosted by the final enemy, a guy in a Skype t shirt, that shouts phrases like "Skype will replace all phones one day, There's nothing you can do about it."

They fight on the side of the tower as lightning flashes, They clock each other a couple times, and Indy ends up hanging by one hand from the side of the tower. As the Skype guy is about to finish him off (maybe peeling off the fingers one by one "this little piggy went to verizon, this little piggy signed with t-mobile, etc.") he receives a text message. Trying to answer it with the two thumb micro keyboard method, he releases his grip on the tower and plummets to his death in slow motion.

As he falls, Indy, covered with dirt and beleaguered by roaming charges, yells "can you hear me now, can you hear me now"

He makes it to the top of the tower, throw a switch to reactivate it, and immediately his phone rings. It's an automated voice message from Verizon wireless telling him about their new satellite direct service, that eliminates the need to be near a cell tower.

Theme music plays as camera pulls out from tower and credits roll.

Nate, that is a fantastic way to end it! I love it! We also have a sidequest type thing where we he needs to find the Amulet of Truth and somehow gets sidetracked into going to go try better reception. We're actually doing the temple set now. It's going to be a stone temple deep in the jungle, and then once he enters it, it's actually a vacation resort.

Dammit I deleted my post.

Here it goes again:

They fight on the side of the tower as lightning flashes, They clock each other a couple times, and Indy ends up hanging by one hand from the side of the tower. As the Skype guy is about to finish him off (maybe peeling off the fingers one by one "this little piggy went to verizon, this little piggy signed with t-mobile, etc.") he receives a text message. Trying to answer it with the two thumb micro keyboard method, he releases his grip on the tower and plummets to his death in slow motion.

TO:

They fight on the side of the tower as lightning flashes, They clock each other a couple times, and Indy ends up hanging by one hand from the side of the tower, his other hand digs into his pocket. As the Skype guy is about to finish him off (maybe peeling off the fingers one by one "this little piggy went to verizon, this little piggy signed with t-mobile, etc.") he receives a text message. Trying to answer it with the two thumb micro keyboard method, he releases his grip on the tower and plummets to his death in slow motion. As he hits the ground his cell phone bounces away. The screen says: "Indy: don't let go!". Indy yells down "Told you not let go!

Back