help me buy the camera i need

hello everyone, we've already had a quick discussion in the welcoming forum.
basically let's just say we have a budget of 300€ on ebay (not new!).

i'd like a camera with manual exposure and iris and an external mic option.

what are my options?

i've just been looking at the sanyo hd700 and hd1000

i'm getting mixed info that one of these doesn't have an external mic option, some sites say they both do and some don't.

do you suggest any other cameras?

hope to hear many suggestions!

Some advice I gave in a different thread, on the subject of pocket cams --

When you're out shooting, time is of the essence. You're going to be working with volunteers, and it's not cool to keep them forever and ever. They'll only stay so long. So, you're going to want to get as much done as you can, in as little time as possible.

The pocket cams are not made for this kind of thing. They're made for people who want to get good video, while carousing out on the town with their friends. They're not set up to allow you the kind of control you're going to want on a set.

Here are the big issues:

Focus ring, and exposure dial. The camera I'm suggesting has both. Pretty much all cameras these days offer manual focus and manual exposure (I think they do, anyway). But on the camera you're looking at, it's not going to be nearly as easy to adjust them as on the used camera I'm suggesting.

You don't wanna be fidgeting with awkward menus and touch screens. You're going to want the controls right at your fingertips. You're going to want a focus ring and exposure dial. With these two items, not only will your shoot run more smoothly, but you'll have more fun, as you won't constantly be messing with these little annoyances.

You're also going to wanna make sure to have manual white-balance (but that's pretty common) and an audio-in jack (also common).

You would normally have to spend somewhere around $250 to get a used camera with a focus ring. Most of them make you use a touch screen, or a stupid little incrimental button. You definitely want the ring.

Dude, for your price range, I'd recommend considering spending just a little bit more, and getting your hands on a T2i.

Or, maybe you want to get great value by buying used 3CCD HDV on ebay. There are some really good deals in the used market. But definitely get something with a focus ring, and easy-to-access control over exposure.

If you absolutely can't afford to get a T2i or a GH1, then I would try to find a used HFS100. They have a plethora of manual controls, have rather crisp images, and record directly to flash cards, which is a huge convenience over tape. You can find them refurbished for around ~$650.

If you absolutely can't afford to get a T2i or a GH1, then I would try to find a used HFS100. They have a plethora of manual controls, have rather crisp images, and record directly to flash cards, which is a huge convenience over tape. You can find them refurbished for around ~$650.

If you absolutely can't spend a little more to get a new T2i, this camera wouldn't be a terrible alternative:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-VIXIA-HFS100-HD-Flash-Digital-Camcorder-1080P-/390221073139?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item5adafd0af3

I've never used it, but based on the specs, it looks pretty sweet. 24p? Nice. Only thing, I couldn't figure out how you're focusing -- couldn't tell from the picture -- is there a focus ring? If not, what's the mechanism?

Really, though, if you're considering spending this much, I think you should get the T2i.

I've never used it, but based on the specs, it looks pretty sweet. 24p? Nice. Only thing, I couldn't figure out how you're focusing -- couldn't tell from the picture -- is there a focus ring? If not, what's the mechanism?
Actually, that's what sold me on the camera (before I decided to upgrade before I purchased it
emot-haw.gif
). It has a dial on the front that can be mapped to change focus, exposure, and a few other functions.

It's not native 24p, you have to pull frames, but it's not so bad.

Really, though, if you're considering spending this much, I think you should get the T2i.
I'd agree. You get more camera for your money.

I have the hfs100, the focus knobby sold me too.. , but really, it never gets used.. its just easier to use the joystick on the little screen for focus. The joystick is fast and does a LOT of stuff under your thumb.

Also, when you get it in some kinda rig, fig rig, or shoulder rig, or even on a tripod, you use the IR remote for focus.

You can NOT fake a focus ring on the little wheal under the lens, unlike the rocker button on the HV30-40 series. (this is what I mean http://www.irvdesign.com/product/mfr/)

Why you buy the hfs100 over the hf200 is the focus aids and the zebra stripes. I use these EVERY TIME I shoot. The cheaper hf models don't have those features.

for that same loot you can find an hv30 with a 35mm adapter and a couple lenses. But again, why would you.. Get the T2i ... or wait a few more months for the price to drop..

Or, wait a week. I'm selling mine as soon as we wrap principle photography. I don't want to. I haven't worked in a month, and those bills are looming. I've treated it like my baby. Might as well be brand-new, fresh out the box.

i'm definitely not getting the t2i because i'm not looking for a xxxD photo camera, i already have a xxD canon at home.
my question is, if i have 300€, let's say 500$ is my limit for you to understand. i'm not looking for a new camera, used gear is very acceptable. so that's why i'm asking what my choices are.

the t2i is not in my price range. how is it in my price range if i plan on spending around 300€ and the t2i is around 600-700€? it's nowhere near my budget

"€" is a weird alien symbol. None of us knows what it means. We work with "$".

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. You're in a predominantly American forum. Speak American.

Wow. Really? I seriously hope you're kidding. The internet knows no geography. In fact, as much as I hate making assumptions, I'll go ahead and assume you're kidding.

That's Euro, nothing weird or alien about it. He's in Slovenia (per location under his avatar). Slovenia never used Pound Sterling.

Exchange rate:

1 euro = 1.3055 US dollar.

300 euro ~ $400

Pen:

Not sure what you can find at that price.

I had one these briefly in college. Really regret that I had to sell it when money was tight just before graduating.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-Handycam...ctronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item2c5617d114

A tad more than your current budget as well, although perhaps closer.

Great camera, DIY lens adapter + conversion to Apple Pro ResHQ and I bet it would look pretty sweet. Think of it this way, with an older CCD based camera you don't have to worry about rolling shutter problems and that ugly line-skipped "Let's all have interlace artifacts again" compression. :D

I cannot stress this enough. Technique > Camera Choice. Anything that gets you shooting and practicing your craft is worth the price of admission.

Not joking. The vast majority of the people in this forum are American. We've got a few Brits thrown in, and some random token members from other countries (hi, Uhura). But we're almost entirely American. So, if you are interested in communicating effectively, it might behoove you to speak our language. Quite frankly, I do not care enough to do even the small amount of googling required to figure out the Euro exchange rate, nor should I have to.

That being said, I do endorse the camera you have recommended. That one would definitely be money well-spent.

Seriously, though, "When is Rome" is some darned-good advice. From my post, you probably think me to be some jingoistic Fox-News-watching middle-American. On the contrary, I'm pretty damned worldly. I'm not going to go into personal details, beyond stating that half of my childhood (and much of my adulthood) was overseas. When I'm in a foreign country, even if I'm there for only a couple days, I do my absolute best to learn the local language. But I'm not doing it for the benefit of the locals. I'm doing it for my own benefit. If you want to communicate effectively, speak the local language.

Back