Help Assembling a Full Kit

I'm pursuing an MFA in Digital Cinema, and am required to buy my own equipment. I need help putting together a kit. Since this is a professional degree program, I'm going to assume that I need to buy professional level equipmentl. Financial aid will cover the cost of my equipment since it's required for the degree program, but I don't want to go crazy. I'd like to get a good balance between utility and price.

I need to get a digital camera, a video camera, audio equipment, lights, stands, mics, tripods, cases, accessories, and anything else usually needed that I'm too green to think about. FULL DISCLOSURE: Only the two cameras, the software, and a computer that could handle the software and crunching the video were specifically required, but all the other stuff is needed to complete assignments (and also will be used for my thesis film) AND since financial aid is available, I figured I may as well get it all out of the way now.

I also have to get editing software, and get a new computer but those are easier choices to make (Final Draft, Adobe CS6 Production Suite & a 27" i7 iMac). I do know that I want separate digital still and video cameras, though. For the digital camera, I'm thinking the Canon 5D Mark II and 2-3 lenses. Since the Mark III has come out, the prices for the Mark II should have come down, I hope.

I just don't know about the rest! All I guess I can say is that I don't want to spend more than $10,000 on everything (is that realistic?), and that I don't mind buying refurbished or gently used for everything BUT the cameras (I need FULL manufacturer and extended warranties for such expensive items).

So, what say you all who know much more than me? And, thanks in advance for your help! :)

A "professional" sound kit could easily eat up your entire budget. A usable kit of prosumer gear can be done for about $2k. But having solid gear does not guarantee solid results; you need the skills. You'll be directing, I assume, so who will be taking care of the sound for you? Swinging a boom is a really hard job, and it takes quite a while to learn how to do it right. And most film schools gloss over sound. Production sound is only one of the puzzle pieces that make up the sound track.

Once in audio post you'll need to edit the production sound, possibly do ADR, do Foley & sound effects, spot the score & source music, and then mix. Each of these disciplines require time just to become familiar with the process, much less proficient, even if the school has the facilities to handle a full audio post. And if they don't you'll need an audio interface, an audio playback system, software, etc.

Last edited:
Cameras for recording... I'd say check out the Blackmagic Cinema Camera ($2995.00) it can shoot in 2.5k uncompressed data or Apple ProRes HQ and the Sony NEX FS100 ($6000.00) has a 35 mm chip and shoots in 1080p. Both cameras shoot in 24 fps which is considered the proper frame rate for films. If you have a larger budget you can always shoot for a Red camera that shoots in 4k but I think the cheapest they start at is $9000.00

Last edited:
A "professional" sound kit could easily eat up your entire budget. A usable kit of prosumer gear can be done for about $2k. But having solid gear does not guarantee solid results; you need the skills. You'll be directing, I assume, so who will be taking care of the sound for you? Swinging a boom is a really hard job, and it takes quite a while to learn how to do it right. And most film schools gloss over sound. Production sound is only one of the puzzle pieces that make up the sound track.

Once in audio post you'll need to edit the production sound, possibly do ADR, do Foley & sound effects, spot the score & source music, and then mix. Each of these disciplines require time just to become familiar with the process, much less proficient, even if the school has the facilities to handle a full audio post. And if they don't you'll need an audio interface, an audio playback system, software, etc.

You know a lot about sound and I appreciate you sharing, but you didn't answer my question (and it was fairly straightforward). What equipment do you suggest for a full kit on a $5,000 - $10,000 budget? I'm not a hobbyist. I want more than the bare bones, so $2,000 isn't going to cut it. Thanks.

You know a lot about sound and I appreciate you sharing, but you didn't answer my question (and it was fairly straightforward). What equipment do you suggest for a full kit on a $5,000 - $10,000 budget?

So it's okay if I spend your entire $10,000 on sound gear? Okay, here we go....

Sound Devices 302 mixer - $1,300

Sound Devices 744T audio recorder - $4,100

Schoeps CMIT5UAG Shotgun Mic - $2,300

Neumann KM 185 MT hypercardioid mic - $900

K-Tek Graphite Fiber Boom Pole w/internal cable (up to 20') - $900

Rycote complete blimp kit (includes extension, dead cat, shock mount) - $700

Lectrosonics UCR411 Series Wireless - $3,100 x 2 = $6,200

Countryman B6 Lavalier - $350 x 2 = $700

Accessories (headphones, cables, cases, lavs accessories, etc.) - $2,500

Total - $19,600

Oops. Take out the wireless gear and we're back around $12,000. And we haven't even touched audio post gear and treating a room. So you see why I gave you the $2,000 price tag. Using prosumer gear is harder than using pro gear because you have to compensate for its deficiencies. And you didn't answer my question - who will be running sound for you? That will have a bearing on what gear I suggest.

Notwithstanding, here's a basic semi-pro kit:

Rode NTG-3 Shotgun Kit (includes boom-pole, shock-mount, windscreen) - $1,300

Audio-Technica AT4053b Hypercardioid mic - $600

Tascam HD-P2 w/Oade Brothers upgrade - $850

Accessories - (headphones, cables, cases, battery packs, etc.) - $600

Total - $3,350

Last edited:
Very Doable

You can definitely get decent gear for under $10,000. By "decent," I mean that you could create broadcast quality material. The question is "Are YOU going to be skilled enough to create films that are above the level of hobbyist." Even if you spent $50,000 on equipment, if you lack the skills needed, your films will be stuck at the hobbyist level for years. I just wanna make the clear before I piece together a skeletal shopping list.

First, budget for everything except the camera. Then when you add up that sub-total, you take the leftover money and buy the most expensive camera possible.

Here is what is vital:
camera
computer with editing software
mic

Here is what is NOT vital:
lights
stands
extra lenses
audio field mixer

CAUTION: I'm not suggesting you skip the second grouping. I'm just identifying the fact that, worst case scenario, you can shoot in a quiet location with ample sunlight and either use cheap bounce cards or use ingenuity, and still make professional-grade content. Furthermore, if you choose a camera that has XLR inputs, you can let the camera serve as your audio recorder. I don't recommend a set up like this for film school, but it's something to consider if your Great Aunt Matilda suddenly tells you she's cutting your $10,000 in half. The biggest factor is whether you are resourceful enough to buy USED gear. If you can travel out of South Carolina, even to North Carolina, you'll find a nice array of possibilities. If you can get to LA, you can for sure get great used gear. New York should work, too, most months of the year.

computer and software
If you can live with a PC desktop computer, you can save about $1000, but for film school demands, let's just say that you spend about $2600 for your Mac plus software and USB back up drives.

Microphones
Get a Sennheiser ME66 shotgun mic. Brand new $500. Used $300. This is assuming your camera can input a good audio signal. Cables and a basic softie are vital. Headphones start at $40. A used fish pole is around $100. You can make a usable one for $50 if you're strapped. Search YouTube for how to do this. Otherwise, this means you're at about $1000 for audio.

Audio Mixing
The dire need for a production mixer depends on your camera, but if you determine a mixer is necessary, you can add $600 to your costs, assuming you can find used gear. More if you can only get "new" gear.

Lighting
You'll need several C-stands and a couple decent lights. Find some DP whose wife is tired of him having a quarter-ton of crap in her garage. See if you can get the basics for a three point lighting arrangement. Key, fill, backlight. I've seen GREAT used kits being sold in LA for under $600. Stuff you could easily make a low-budget feature with. Get a used light meter, too. Beyond that, if you budget a full $1000 to include the chance of needing NEW items, too, I think you'll be fine.

Lenses
If you want your actors and your frames to look pretty, it's wise to have an 85mm or 100mm lens. On the flip side, if you want the freedom to shoot in tight locations, you'll need a wide angle. Your camera might have a built in zoom lens ranging, from like, I don't know, roughly 30mm to 80mm. But filmschools will usually want you to practice the art of choosing and swapping prime lenses. So be prepared to buy some extra glass. Estimates, depending if you can get used items, would be $600 and up.

Digital Camera
Use your iPhone until the second week of school when a fellow student will be unloading what you want for super cheap.

Camera rigs
I'm assuming you should not be worrying about rigging on your own. If you really need to dolly, you can use a wheelchair. But short of that, you won't be buying a jib or track or whatever. Look up "poor man's steadicam" online. Make one. You don't need a true fluid-head tripod. It's nice but not crucial. You can get a functioning tripod new for $150. Or you can get decent used one for $300 or more. Depends on the city you're in and how hard you search.

sub-total (minus camera)
$6000

That leaves you $4000 to buy a camera plus its data storage items and extra batteries. Plus tax. That means $2500 raw cost.

total
$10,000

* Note for any one department, you can obviously spend MORE. There is no limit to how much more any one group will cost. But since there exist thrifty people who've gotten gear for under $5000 (used), I know it's possible to do $10,000. If you don't get an audio mixer and you go with a desktop computer and sacrifice lighting a bit, you can elevate your camera quality to $6000. But then you'd have a great camera and bare bones gear. Be careful. There is no one single correct balance for a budget. There's only the question of how fanatical are you willing to be on set to maintain quality of production.

Shanked

Eshe - the great thing about today's cinema scene is the wide array of choices we have for camera, sound, lighting, dollies, booms, etc.

If I were starting film school today (instead of when I did, back in the dark ages of the 1970s), I would get a camera that would give me the highest quality image and the most creative flexibility in post. And something you can use to make movies (and maybe money) when you're out of film school. As of this writing, that would be the $3000 Blackmagic Cinema Camera. If your digital still camera is a $2000 Canon 5D Mark II, you can share lenses with the BMCC.

I suggest the new relatively inexpensive declicked cine lenses from Rokinon such as the $400 8mm fisheye and the $550 35mm T1.5.

You will also need a $399 "Wooden" cage to turn the BMCC into a production ready tool.

bmcc.jpg

For sound, I would get a $45 boom pole, a $460 Sennheiser ME66 super cardioid mic with K6 power module and shock mount along with a $1875 192kHz pro quality recorder, headphones, $30 windscreen and XLR cabling.

After I was squared away on the camera and sound, I would buy inexpensive, but solid, support equipment.

2 Ravelli tripods and dollies: $320

$200 soft box studio Lighting with green, white and black backdrops.

Total cost of this setup is less than $10,000, but it will get you started. I left out jibs, sliders, stabilizers, shoulder rigs, field power and other support that you should rent or borrow as needed to save money. Buy what you need to do well at school, but I suggest you not take on any more student loan debt than you have to. In most cases, you end up paying back a lot more than you borrowed ;)

Cheers and good luck at school,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to buy professional level equipmentl.
Perhaps I misunderstood this part.

Do you want the numbers for bare bones equipment or professional
level equipment? I think I wasted my time with my numbers.
Sorry about that. Of course you can get decent, usable equipment
for $10,000. Not everything you need but usable. I think the "I'm
not a hobbyist" statement threw me.

I deleted my post.

computer and software
If you can live with a PC desktop computer, you can save about $1000, but for film school demands, let's just say that you spend about $2600 for your Mac plus software and USB back up drives.

Shanked

I would stay away from USB Harddrives it will take forever to move files and retrieve them. Use gigabit storage devices or firewire.

So it's okay if I spend your entire $10,000 on sound gear? Okay, here we go....

Sound Devices 302 mixer - $1,300

Sound Devices 744T audio recorder - $4,100

Schoeps CMIT5UAG Shotgun Mic - $2,300

Neumann KM 185 MT hypercardioid mic - $900

K-Tek Graphite Fiber Boom Pole w/internal cable (up to 20') - $900

Rycote complete blimp kit (includes extension, dead cat, shock mount) - $700

Lectrosonics UCR411 Series Wireless - $3,100 x 2 = $6,200

Countryman B6 Lavalier - $350 x 2 = $700

Accessories (headphones, cables, cases, lavs accessories, etc.) - $2,500

Total - $19,600

Oops. Take out the wireless gear and we're back around $12,000. And we haven't even touched audio post gear and treating a room. So you see why I gave you the $2,000 price tag. Using prosumer gear is harder than using pro gear because you have to compensate for its deficiencies. And you didn't answer my question - who will be running sound for you? That will have a bearing on what gear I suggest.

Notwithstanding, here's a basic semi-pro kit:

Rode NTG-3 Shotgun Kit (includes boom-pole, shock-mount, windscreen) - $1,300

Audio-Technica AT4053b Hypercardioid mic - $600

Tascam HD-P2 w/Oade Brothers upgrade - $850

Accessories - (headphones, cables, cases, battery packs, etc.) - $600

Total - $3,350

Thanks, but nevermind. Sorry to waste your time.

You can definitely get decent gear for under $10,000. By "decent," I mean that you could create broadcast quality material. The question is "Are YOU going to be skilled enough to create films that are above the level of hobbyist." Even if you spent $50,000 on equipment, if you lack the skills needed, your films will be stuck at the hobbyist level for years. I just wanna make the clear before I piece together a skeletal shopping list.

First, budget for everything except the camera. Then when you add up that sub-total, you take the leftover money and buy the most expensive camera possible.

Here is what is vital:
camera
computer with editing software
mic

Here is what is NOT vital:
lights
stands
extra lenses
audio field mixer

CAUTION: I'm not suggesting you skip the second grouping. I'm just identifying the fact that, worst case scenario, you can shoot in a quiet location with ample sunlight and either use cheap bounce cards or use ingenuity, and still make professional-grade content. Furthermore, if you choose a camera that has XLR inputs, you can let the camera serve as your audio recorder. I don't recommend a set up like this for film school, but it's something to consider if your Great Aunt Matilda suddenly tells you she's cutting your $10,000 in half. The biggest factor is whether you are resourceful enough to buy USED gear. If you can travel out of South Carolina, even to North Carolina, you'll find a nice array of possibilities. If you can get to LA, you can for sure get great used gear. New York should work, too, most months of the year.

computer and software

Microphones
Get a Sennheiser ME66 shotgun mic. Brand new $500. Used $300. This is assuming your camera can input a good audio signal. Cables and a basic softie are vital. Headphones start at $40. A used fish pole is around $100. You can make a usable one for $50 if you're strapped. Search YouTube for how to do this. Otherwise, this means you're at about $1000 for audio.

Audio Mixing
The dire need for a production mixer depends on your camera, but if you determine a mixer is necessary, you can add $600 to your costs, assuming you can find used gear. More if you can only get "new" gear.

Lighting
You'll need several C-stands and a couple decent lights. Find some DP whose wife is tired of him having a quarter-ton of crap in her garage. See if you can get the basics for a three point lighting arrangement. Key, fill, backlight. I've seen GREAT used kits being sold in LA for under $600. Stuff you could easily make a low-budget feature with. Get a used light meter, too. Beyond that, if you budget a full $1000 to include the chance of needing NEW items, too, I think you'll be fine.

Lenses
If you want your actors and your frames to look pretty, it's wise to have an 85mm or 100mm lens. On the flip side, if you want the freedom to shoot in tight locations, you'll need a wide angle. Your camera might have a built in zoom lens ranging, from like, I don't know, roughly 30mm to 80mm. But filmschools will usually want you to practice the art of choosing and swapping prime lenses. So be prepared to buy some extra glass. Estimates, depending if you can get used items, would be $600 and up.

Digital Camera
Use your iPhone until the second week of school when a fellow student will be unloading what you want for super cheap.

Camera rigs
I'm assuming you should not be worrying about rigging on your own. If you really need to dolly, you can use a wheelchair. But short of that, you won't be buying a jib or track or whatever. Look up "poor man's steadicam" online. Make one. You don't need a true fluid-head tripod. It's nice but not crucial. You can get a functioning tripod new for $150. Or you can get decent used one for $300 or more. Depends on the city you're in and how hard you search.

sub-total (minus camera)
$6000

That leaves you $4000 to buy a camera plus its data storage items and extra batteries. Plus tax. That means $2500 raw cost.

total
$10,000

* Note for any one department, you can obviously spend MORE. There is no limit to how much more any one group will cost. But since there exist thrifty people who've gotten gear for under $5000 (used), I know it's possible to do $10,000. If you don't get an audio mixer and you go with a desktop computer and sacrifice lighting a bit, you can elevate your camera quality to $6000. But then you'd have a great camera and bare bones gear. Be careful. There is no one single correct balance for a budget. There's only the question of how fanatical are you willing to be on set to maintain quality of production.

Shanked

By the time I finish my MFA in filmmaking, I will be skilled enough to create films above the level of hobbyist, because if I'm not, I won't graduate. To get my (terminal) MFA degree, I will have to do a thesis film that will have to go before a thesis committee. If it's not up to par, I don't graduate - point blank. I'll face the equivalent level of scrutiny that someone defending their PhD dissertation will face. The only difference is that my dissertation will be a movie.

If I wasn't serious about this, I'd never have embarked on this journey - especially given the fact that I didn't have any student loan debt, and I'm taking some on for this MFA. This is REAL for me - I'm over 40 years old and I'm changing directions, and for once following my heart instead of my head. This is the real deal, as real as it gets, and I'm taking a big chance doing this - I have a lot to lose. That's what I meant by the "I'm not a hobbyist" comment. I wasn't trying to sound snobbish or anything like that.

I do NOT mind buying used equipment, especially from reputable sources like KEH. I know I'm going to buy a 27" iMac and I'll probably buy a refurbished one directly from Apple, if the price is lower than a new one after my student discount is applied.

I'll research cameras that have XLR inputs. Oh, and I can't use my cell phone for my digital camera. Our digital cameras and digital video cameras have to have full manual controls. I already own a Pentax K10D, but I wanted to upgrade to full frame goodness, and the Canon 5D Mark II was my "dream" camera. I figured with the Mark III coming out, prices would drop on the Mark II and I could scoop one up at a savings.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm definitely going to research the recommendations you made. :)

By the time I finish my MFA in filmmaking, I will be skilled enough to create films above the level of hobbyist, because if I'm not, I won't graduate. To get my (terminal) MFA degree, I will have to do a thesis film that will have to go before a thesis committee. If it's not up to par, I don't graduate - point blank. I'll face the equivalent level of scrutiny that someone defending their PhD dissertation will face. The only difference is that my dissertation will be a movie.

If I wasn't serious about this, I'd never have embarked on this journey - especially given the fact that I didn't have any student loan debt, and I'm taking some on for this MFA. This is REAL for me - I'm over 40 years old and I'm changing directions, and for once following my heart instead of my head. This is the real deal, as real as it gets, and I'm taking a big chance doing this - I have a lot to lose. That's what I meant by the "I'm not a hobbyist" comment. I wasn't trying to sound snobbish or anything like that.

I do NOT mind buying used equipment, especially from reputable sources like KEH. I know I'm going to buy a 27" iMac and I'll probably buy a refurbished one directly from Apple, if the price is lower than a new one after my student discount is applied.

I'll research cameras that have XLR inputs. Oh, and I can't use my cell phone for my digital camera. Our digital cameras and digital video cameras have to have full manual controls. I already own a Pentax K10D, but I wanted to upgrade to full frame goodness, and the Canon 5D Mark II was my "dream" camera. I figured with the Mark III coming out, prices would drop on the Mark II and I could scoop one up at a savings.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm definitely going to research the recommendations you made. :)

The Sony FS 100 is used by Full Sail in their Digital Cinematography degree program and I know it has two XLR ports on it. It is 6k and under.

I would not suggest buying the BMD. Solely on the fact that you will eat up the SSD's. If you buy that camera, you would want to shoot raw.

A single 480GB SSD will cost you about 500 dollars. You can fit 1 hour of RAW footage on that. To be efficient on a shooting day you want AT LEAST 2-3. Make that 1500 dollars.

Battery solution: Add another 500-1000 for batteries alone. This baby has a fixed battery and needs external power options.

The image from the BMDCC is absolutely incredible. Using it however is a bit of a PITA

I would not suggest buying the BMD. Solely on the fact that you will eat up the SSD's. If you buy that camera, you would want to shoot raw.

A single 480GB SSD will cost you about 500 dollars. You can fit 1 hour of RAW footage on that. To be efficient on a shooting day you want AT LEAST 2-3. Make that 1500 dollars.

Battery solution: Add another 500-1000 for batteries alone. This baby has a fixed battery and needs external power options.

The image from the BMDCC is absolutely incredible. Using it however is a bit of a PITA

Phil - I wouldn't say no to the BMCC solely on the basis of SSD prices - especially when they're coming down so fast. As of this writing, Sandisk 480s are $363.50 and 240s are $170 at Amazon. By this time next year, they will be down another 50%, if current price trends continue.

I am very grateful to Black Magic for engineering the BMCC to accept standard SSDs - especially when compared to the insane prices of proprietary Panasonic and Sony cards like the 32GB Panasonic P2 ($429!) or 32GB Sony SxS ($449!).

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to assume that I need to buy professional level equipmentl...

What equipment do you suggest for a full kit on a $5,000 - $10,000 budget? I'm not a hobbyist. I want more than the bare bones, so $2,000 isn't going to cut it. Thanks...

Thanks, but nevermind. Sorry to waste your time.

You asked for advice and then when Alcove gave it you brushed him off?! You want a professional production sound kit, most professional production sound mixers have about $30k - $40k of equipment. Even a minimal professional setup as Alcove suggested is about $20k, so like it or not your budget puts you well into the prosumer range of equipment.

Add to this that no one (apart from Alcove) has even mentioned the equipment you need for "professional" audio post. For "professional" audio post you are going to need a budget of anywhere from roughly the same amount as the average production sound professional to 100 times more! So again, you are looking at the prosumer range for audio post equipment and probably right at the very cheapest end of the prosumer range!

You should listen to the advice Alcove is giving you, otherwise I guarantee you will regret it.

G

I don't want to spend more than $10,000 on everything (is that realistic?),

The reason you are having issues getting answers is $10k is not realistic for a pro setup. The sound guys would spend $20k on sound, the post guys of all different flavours would spend sums which would make your eyes water and don't even get me started on the camera guys.

Brunerww has given a good suggestion but bear in mind this only leaves $3k USD for computer and editing software.

Then there is a very valid element in the cost which is 'who' is wielding the kit and the sound guys are trying to communicate to you is this has a great bearing on the cost of the sound kit. A sound specialist wielding a Tascam DR-100, half-decent mics, lavs, boom etc... will get better quality than if I was personally wielding $10k of kit.

To put your $10k USD into context I had OK kit for my first short which is a Tascam DR100 and decent mics (quiet down at the back audio people about my mics...) all of which cost maybe $2k USD. Vision was around $7k USD (5D, VG10, lenses, tripods, slider, steadicam, mounting systems etc...) mostly wielded by a pro and my post gear is around $5k USD all at US prices (add 33% for the UK).

This was for a teensy little 'try it' short to see if I had any talent, vision and wit. And apparently it was an OK start! My second was a failure and my third will rock so we'll see. However, in terms of kit, $10k USD will get you decent kit and not 'pro' kit.

If it were my money, I would spend $7k USD on post, $3k USD on sound and find someone with a camera who likes to shoot.

You asked for advice and then when Alcove gave it you brushed him off?! You want a professional production sound kit, most professional production sound mixers have about $30k - $40k of equipment. Even a minimal professional setup as Alcove suggested is about $20k, so like it or not your budget puts you well into the prosumer range of equipment.

Add to this that no one (apart from Alcove) has even mentioned the equipment you need for "professional" audio post. For "professional" audio post you are going to need a budget of anywhere from roughly the same amount as the average production sound professional to 100 times more! So again, you are looking at the prosumer range for audio post equipment and probably right at the very cheapest end of the prosumer range!

You should listen to the advice Alcove is giving you, otherwise I guarantee you will regret it.

G

I wasn't trying to brush him off. I was looking for an answer like Shanked gave, and when Alcove didn't answer the question I actually asked (not making an accusation, just making a statement of fact from my POV) - even after I tried to clarify what I was looking for - I couldn't find a "smoother" way to end our exchange AT THE TIME... just like I know a bunch of different words to use besides "smoother" but I can't call any of them up right now... because I have been having a migraine for weeks, and I'm not 100% (it's not the worst I've had, and I don't get the usual "classic" kind - it just won't "break" and go totally away, grrr, LOL). And, if you read further down, I THINK I did acknowledge that after more reading that I knew true pro-level equipment was way out of my budget. I totally wasn't trying to be rude. :)

The reason you are having issues getting answers is $10k is not realistic for a pro setup. The sound guys would spend $20k on sound, the post guys of all different flavours would spend sums which would make your eyes water and don't even get me started on the camera guys.

Brunerww has given a good suggestion but bear in mind this only leaves $3k USD for computer and editing software.

Then there is a very valid element in the cost which is 'who' is wielding the kit and the sound guys are trying to communicate to you is this has a great bearing on the cost of the sound kit. A sound specialist wielding a Tascam DR-100, half-decent mics, lavs, boom etc... will get better quality than if I was personally wielding $10k of kit.

To put your $10k USD into context I had OK kit for my first short which is a Tascam DR100 and decent mics (quiet down at the back audio people about my mics...) all of which cost maybe $2k USD. Vision was around $7k USD (5D, VG10, lenses, tripods, slider, steadicam, mounting systems etc...) mostly wielded by a pro and my post gear is around $5k USD all at US prices (add 33% for the UK).

This was for a teensy little 'try it' short to see if I had any talent, vision and wit. And apparently it was an OK start! My second was a failure and my third will rock so we'll see. However, in terms of kit, $10k USD will get you decent kit and not 'pro' kit.

If it were my money, I would spend $7k USD on post, $3k USD on sound and find someone with a camera who likes to shoot.

My program requires all of us "fellows" (it's a graduate school program) to OWN our own equipment, and while they were specific about the type of stuff we had to have (full manual control capable digital and video cameras, software & a computer beefy enough to do everything), they were not specific about brands, specs, etc. And, absolutely nothing was said about sound equipment besides software, but if sound sucks then what's the point? :hmm:

I saw a tutorial on YouTube about doing sound recording on a budget with a Zoom H4n Handy Mobile 4-Track Recorder (and a Rode mic). I know it works with HDDSLR's. Would I need something like this if I got a Canon XF100 or something similar, or are their mics good enough alone?

I feel like buying a Canon 5D Mark III, the H4N mobile 4-track, and support gear/accessories and calling it a day. Bad idea?

Be careful of the 4-track claims with the H4n; when recording four tracks you can only record at 16bit/44.1kHz, and the logistics are very difficult - you will definitely have to add at least one mixer.

Units like the H4n and the Tascam DR-100 (which I prefer; at least it has manual controls and the pre-amps are marginally cleaner) are really aimed at musicians to be used as sketch pads. As much as you should really use a separate audio recorder you could do just as well sound-wise recording directly to the XF100 (if that is what you get) using a mixer.

If you use a DSLR you should consider it a film camera and use a separate audio recording system; the audio implementation is DSLRs is extremely substandard.

My recommendation, as always, is to retain someone who knows what they are doing. You can have the best gear in the world, but since you are directing who will be swinging the boom for you? Who will be gain-staging, setting levels and monitoring the audio while you are otherwise occupied? This is the problem with owning you own equipment, you still need someone with knowledge and experience to run sound for you.

Back