Hello From New Zealand

Firstly I want to thank all the people involved with the site for making it what it is. For me, browsing through the forums over the last few weeks has provided insight, some great food for thought, and some good laughs too.

Now I will introduce myself. I/we are Fantasy Film Productions NZ. We are an umbrella company set up to help people within the Otago, New Zealand film industry to have a place to meet, network and help each-other. The reason we do it this way is that Dunedin, being one of New Zealands larger cities ( not a typo, one of our larger cities ) has a population of just over 100,000 so as you can imagine, we have lots of enthusiastic people who have to date, attempted to get their movies made under their own steam but working without support they have found it hard to get going. By banding together, we hope to begin putting out some footage this year by finding these enthusiasts, and working together.

As you can imagine, working within such a small community by global standards, and having for the most part to raise funds ourselves for movie making, we have to think outside the box when it comes to putting movies together. We have to consider possible budget before we even start writing a script. We also have to use what we can get as far as volunteers go. For that reason, the articles and posts, and the debates on here where I get to read opposing arguments for and against different points or techniques is absolutely crucial. It helps me see the good and the bad of decisions before I go ahead and attempt them. For that reason I am hugely grateful that this site exists.

Well, I think I've rambled enough. Thanks for the great site. I look forward to reading more as you lot debate the vitals of all things film related.

tumblr_lsv55taSXN1qii6tmo1_500.gif

'sup & hello :)

Got to make the most of your resources, sure. Budget & personnel issues are something we all keep in mind, I reckon.

So are you trying to woo support for your own projects, or are you trying to start a production company for other peoples' projects? :cool:

Welcome!

I spent some time in New Zealand, beautiful country you have there. Stunning views and great people - great country for filming. :)

p.s. There are a few Kiwis here.

Yes that is one of our advantages. New Zealand has a huge variety of scenery all within a few hours flight. I was hoping there would be other kiwis here. If they are interested in seeing what I/we are up to down here in Dunedin they can find us on facebook under Fantasy Film Productions.

Hey man, fellow Kiwi here! Indietalk is a pretty cool community, lots of helpful people.

I'm from Nelson myself (kind of, spent the last year between Auckland, Wellington and Nelson), moving to Wellington more permanently in a couple of weeks though. I'm a student, but I'd always been keen to help in whatever way I can.

Hey cool. Nelson, never been but I've heard it has nice weather ( well. maybe not this week lol ) we are in Dunedin. What is your main skill? ie editing, writing, camera work, sound?

Hey cool. Nelson, never been but I've heard it has nice weather ( well. maybe not this week lol ) we are in Dunedin. What is your main skill? ie editing, writing, camera work, sound?

Ha, actually pretty ok this weekend. And I pride myself on my editing and camera work I guess. But I write and direct all my own stuff too. I'd like to make it as a writer-director-editor (or just one of those, given that's unlikely) or a DP I think - so basically just like everyone else!

Well, join the Fantasy film facebook page mate. Keep a track of what we are up to, and if you want to come down at some point and take a look for yourself, you are welcome to. I will be to busy to commute up your ways but please don't take that as not being interested in what you have to say dude.

Welcome Grasshopper!
I'm one of the audio guys here.
Always remember:

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCyJRXvPNRo​

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"
"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

I agree wholeheartedly about the audio my friend. If the sound is rubbish, the movie is rubbish. As a perfectionist, nothing grates me more then bad acting, bad lines, bad footage, bad story-line, bad editing, bad directing or bad sound. No one thing is more important then another, and without all of them working together as one...good cinema will never be attained.

Back