Hello from CA.

Hi there,

Looks like an interesting forum - I have made a few mid-range movies, but am shifting format to a budget level that I believe I can have more creative control over - read that as going way lower budget, lol.
I am entering a realm that I am unfamiliar with, and eating up all the information available that I can, from the technology to the latest indie production methods and techniques.

If I can, I will also attempt to contribute helpful information from my perspective.

Jesse v. Johnson.
CA 2012

Ha - yes - probably not a very revealing use of grammar on my part.

I made some films that I would deem low budget - non-union, that went to Sci-fi, Spike, etc.,

Then I made some films with a union crew, but very short schedules. Those one's were still low budget compared to a studio theatrical movie, but in my little world they are mid-range because as long as I observe OT and turnaround I get to work alongside absolute professionals with regard to their craft - who are all being paid the same as they would on a $100 million production.

However, trying to make anything which reflects your creative personality, or has artistic expression at that level is extremely difficult; the cast is often chosen for you, usually the script too - and the style of movie that is required is also dictated, deviate and you will be replaced - what artistry you implant on the end result must be affected surreptitiously - in my experience anyway.

I finished a picture at the beginning of this year with Dolph Lundgren and Steve Austin called The Package, I had a blast I enjoyed everyone involved, and the film is selling like gangbusters.

But the final result is not really what I travelled 5000 miles from my homeland to create, to do that, I believe I have to go back to basics, writing, shooting and editing my own movie.
*I am sure there are directors with sheer force of will enough to make personal films within the D2DVD system, I haven't met one, or seen evidence of it.
I have realized my fantasies about using the B movie genre like Don Siegel or Sam Fuller, to leverage artistic works or studio pictures, are unrealistic, romantic and outdated.

Hence my joining this site, to hear other peoples experiences in the world of self financed or indie world.

Sorry to bore you with a long answer, but I felt simply listing my movies, something you could see by going on the Imdb - hence my using my actual name in the Op - would not answer sufficiently. lol.

Hope this answers your question.

JJ
Oscar Wilde - sorry to write such a long letter, I didn't have time to write a short one.

Jesse-

I accept your Oscar Wilde, and up you another Oscar Wilde...

I would think you are in a much better position than many of us to push your own projects - disheartening for many of us to learn otherwise ; )

Just accepted an offer for distribution for a feature project that I produced solely on my own - writer, director, camera, sound, actor, etc.. you get the idea ; )

That was the only way for me to have control of my project, even though I was not able to tell a story that had great meaning to me, as I needed a script that would fit within the parameters I had set for myself by working solo without a budget.

Presently trying to raise $100K to make a personal film - something that I really want to see get made, that has meaning to me. But I am in no better position than before to raise even the meager amount of money I need.

Have had to consider going with producers that want to add to the budget by attaching known actors - being the only way to sell a film in their opinion - but that increases the all around budget in many ways, and my control starts disappearing...

Chris

You would think - but I have been back to my original backers and asked for them to back personal projects and they get excited about the low figure - but I lose interest when it becomes obvious, they want to pay $250K for what they would usually have to pay $3 mill for.

Black and white goes, quirky casting goes, action has to be bigger, suddenly I'm making their film (for free).
Nope -

However, having cast contacts and actual money making track record help, for sure.
It's always a street fight, but anything worth doing is difficult, in this game.

The thing is my personal project is not really like the films I have been making, lol.
http://kodapictures.com/TBO_Trailer.html

JJ

"The thing is my personal project is not really like the films I have been making, lol."

How is it different? Genre, tone, style?

and eating up all the information available that I can, from the technology to the latest indie production methods and techniques.
Indie production methods and techniques aren't any different than the
production methods and techniques you are using in your current
productions. You pay people less, you have much shorter shoot schedules,
almost no paid preproduction and impossibly short post periods - or unpaid
post periods. You have less equipment and smaller crews and only a few
locations.

When you say "way lower budget" what range are you talking about?

Directorik, et al,

I understand that, of course, but there are things that can be done with no money you couldn't do on a mid-range budget, it is those aspects I want to utilize.
I am not looking to make a miniature version of a big movie - that doesn't work for me.
*read that as; the traditional format for film production reduced to fit a budget.

I will steal locations, with three people and a camera - I can't do that on a bigger budget for a myriad of reasons.
I will stop production take two weeks to plan a particular sequence and then start up again, it's my money, my gear, I'm going to do it the way it can be done best, even if I have to go back to work to earn some cash, in between shooting my own sequences.
There are a few other things that I see working to my advantage.
Of course, i'll be calling in every favor imaginable, lol - but that's OK.

But, most assuredly what I do not want to do is a miniature version of what I've done before, without a paycheck. 18 days didn't cut it for me - 12 days isn't working either, lol.

I have long held that the way to do something low budget is to spread the shoot out over six months or so, basing footage on assemblies, always working, but stopping and starting physical photography, in between shoots, a form of siege warfare, where the pressure is always on (editorial/planning, etc.,), but the actual shooting period maybe 24 - 25 days is broken according to location, cast, or other avails, over a far longer period than usual.

So, I guess I want to put my money where my mouth is.

There is technology that students and avid followers of trends are familiar with that aren't around in the mid-range world, that is my interest - that and cool quirky ideas people have to get things done, love it all, and am prepared of course to share where I feel my experiences might be helpful in return.

Hope this helps,

JJ

CTBehrens,

My films have been genre specific, action mainly because of my work in stunts.
They have had to conform to a pretty strict general format.
Cast (names that are desirable to international or specific buyers), Script/content, shooting location, delivery standards.

My passion project is a black and white art action movie, about a character who talks to the camera.
It is basically very non-specific genre wise and will confuse the hell out of any sales guy, until the film is completed, and then, quite honestly, they will likely not know what to do with it.
It will take a seller with some imagination, so I don't see it happening anytime soon -
hence my plan to do it for micro budget.

*Congrats on your offer of distribution - if I can do anything to help in this area, please let me know, when it comes to the action genre particularly I have dealt with a tremendous number of distributors, of many different levels of integrity and honesty.
I would be pleased to share my experiences - a PM might be wisest.

JJ

Last edited:
So it seems your question here was a rhetorical one. You already know the
technology and the latest indie production methods and techniques to apply
to a no budget film. You know exactly what aspects you want to utilize. What
you are planning is quite typical of very low budget productions. Aspects like
breaking up the shooting schedule so as not to overly tax people doing favors,
stealing locations with three people and a camera, calling in favors, shooting
for a while, stopping to raise more money and then continuing are all things
those of us making ULB projects have done. Some of the cool and quirky things
we ULB filmmakers do is build our own equipment - something you don't need
to do.

What budget range are you planning?

Somewhat Rhetorical, Rik,

But a genuine interest in learning, too.

I hope I am not coming across arrogantly, certainly not wanting to.
I am on a learning curve here, and not the slightest bit ashamed of my ignorance - I am doing everything possible to consume info.
I just made a teaser which was an eye opener for me, and really convinced me the feature was doable.
We shot on the Sony FS700 - which was awesome, really felt for the first time, there was a system that served my interests.

Budget must not exceed $125K.

JJ
The last time I self financed a shoot we shot with super 16mm.

I hope I am not coming across arrogantly, certainly not wanting to.

Not at all. You have experience and plenty of knowledge - nothing arrogant
about that. You have a plan and a budget that is quite high by most student
and “indie” standards. I kind thought you meant under 50 large. Not THAT
is a low budget. The $125 neighborhood is way lower to you but for most
of us that’s one hell of a nice budget. I’ve done several in that range and
you do need to be frugal, but not as cool and quirky as most of the filmmakers
posting here in indietalk.
Budget must not exceed $125K.
I know from experience that you can do a nice four week shoot on that.
Especially since it’s your gear and you have people to ask favors of. No need
to stop and start because you can pay an acceptable rate to cast and crew.

Welcome Grasshopper!
I'm one of the audio guys here.
Always remember:

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCyJRXvPNRo​

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"
"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

Back