Hello Filmmakers!

Hello everyone, my name is Luke Sullivan and I am a recent indie filmmaker located in Blacksburg Virginia. My dream with film is not to have a massive audience or a large income, but to instead create what I love. I am graduating from college after this semester and I want to do everything I can to make it into the industry. So if anyone has any tips let me know. Thanks guys!

I want to do everything I can to make it into the industry. So if anyone has any tips let me know. Thanks guys!

My advice is to save up a few thousand dollars. Enough to support yourself for a few months. I would suggest moving to a film epicenter, like Los Angeles, New York, Albuquerque, Atlanta, New Orleans, Austin, or even Richmond. If you have family or friends in some of these areas, that will help a lot, both with finding a cheap place, and with contacts.

Before you go move anywhere, try to get the contacts you need through the internet and social media. Find some leads, then be ready to jump. If you are trying to get into production circles, offer your services. If no one is paying, you may need to volunteer you time. Find someone who is working on a set, and ask if you can watch, apprentice, or help.

Just being on a set or production is a huge step, because something always happens, where people don't show, or help is needed somewhere. Being that guy who can jump in will often lead to the production using you. Heck, the production might need something from the store; it could be food color, some sort of prop, or food and drink. Be that guy who is ready to make that happen, then they might need you for bigger tasks.

If you can't get to a major production or set, right away, you might try helping on an indie or low budget project. The key is to get into production circles and establish yourself as valuable and likable. Once you hook up with people, make them aware of your goals. See if you can get references to other productions and people.

For this to work, you need to be available and able to support yourself for a while. This is why you need some savings.

My advice is to save up a few thousand dollars. Enough to support yourself for a few months. I would suggest moving to a film epicenter, like Los Angeles, New York, Albuquerque, Atlanta, New Orleans, Austin, or even Richmond. If you have family or friends in some of these areas, that will help a lot, both with finding a cheap place, and with contacts.

Before you go move anywhere, try to get the contacts you need through the internet and social media. Find some leads, then be ready to jump. If you are trying to get into production circles, offer your services. If no one is paying, you may need to volunteer you time. Find someone who is working on a set, and ask if you can watch, apprentice, or help.

Just being on a set or production is a huge step, because something always happens, where people don't show, or help is needed somewhere. Being that guy who can jump in will often lead to the production using you. Heck, the production might need something from the store; it could be food color, some sort of prop, or food and drink. Be that guy who is ready to make that happen, then they might need you for bigger tasks.

If you can't get to a major production or set, right away, you might try helping on an indie or low budget project. The key is to get into production circles and establish yourself as valuable and likable. Once you hook up with people, make them aware of your goals. See if you can get references to other productions and people.

For this to work, you need to be available and able to support yourself for a while. This is why you need some savings.
Wow, honestly some of the best advice I’ve gotten on this topic. Thanks again!

Hello everyone, my name is Luke Sullivan and I am a recent indie filmmaker located in Blacksburg Virginia. My dream with film is not to have a massive audience or a large income, but to instead create what I love. I am graduating from college after this semester and I want to do everything I can to make it into the industry. So if anyone has any tips let me know. Thanks guys!
Hi

Back