Having a problem with Premiere Pro.

I finished a project and was going to make a copy of it, but now when I try to open it, it will not open. The project reads 'an unknown error occurred while trying to open this project. Any idea what it could mean or how do I get it open? It does not say anything more than that.

Thanks.

But the back up says the same thing. It must have gotten corrupted before it saved to the back up. I was using it earlier today, I saved it to the back up, then closed it. Now the back up won't open either, and says the same thing.

Can I un-corrupt it or anything?

Okay. Should I export a new copy everyday, after editing, that way, I will always have an exported copy, in case the Premiere Pro, program corrupts? Do you export new copies everyday? Cause exporting a good maximum quality copy can take hours, and wonder if it's worth doing everyday, when you add new cuts. Cause this is the second time a project has been corrupted, along with the back up, and it doesn't do any good, to make a back up copy of the Premiere Pro project only, since the back up corrupts as well, after saving.

Last edited:
Maybe you have a virus, if your files are being corrupted and SD cards failing.. There's probably something bigger going on here than bad luck and/or user error.

It's possible your computers power supply is failing, I've seen file corruption caused by that. At any rate, if your saved project files are becoming corrupt every time, there's more to this than the information you've provided could help to track down.

Could be a bad media file causing problems with the entire project, could be a whole host of issues. Your best course of action for this specific issue is probably to reach out to Adobe support. Assuming, of course, that you're using a legal copy of premiere.

I know H44 is a running joke to some people on here, but there's no need to pipe up in every thread s/he makes and be a dick.

We have an ignore option ... just saying.

Agreed. Yes he has a lot of questions, and runs into a lot of issues/problems along the way. Being a total ass is not called for, if you've nothing useful to contribute, why even open the thread to begin with?

...Yes he has a lot of questions, and runs into a lot of issues/problems along the way.

Who doesn't? I remember when I first started out I kept running into strange issues. Google was my friend then! :lol:

h44, you should have a better backup system in place - even something like dropbox. ALWAYS create two versions of your project, with a naming convention like "[project name] current edit" for the new edits your doing, and then for the backup do "[project name] backup". That's what I do, makes identifying everything a bit easier, and that way you always have two versions of your project and it's easy to tell which is which!

Okay. Should I export a new copy everyday, after editing, that way, I will always have an exported copy, in case the Premiere Pro, program corrupts? Do you export new copies everyday? Cause exporting a good maximum quality copy can take hours, and wonder if it's worth doing everyday, when you add new cuts. Cause this is the second time a project has been corrupted, along with the back up, and it doesn't do any good, to make a back up copy of the Premiere Pro project only, since the back up corrupts as well, after saving.

First of all, this seems like something you should address with Adobe's team on their technical support forums. Second, reinstall premiere and update to the latest version.

I haven't had the problem in years, but when I had a corrupted Pro Tools session I just imported all of the tracks into a new session - problem solved! I don't know if this will work with an NLE like PP.

did you already try to copy your finished project?

Copying a project file will not copy the project, just the project file. You still need copies of all the footage etc.

PPRO has a project manager function, here you can make archive and other fun things. Me I back up the entire project directory which will work too, though keep in mind the project file itself will expect the media to be int he same place etc. If your using stock footage in a common folder and you move that folder you will have to relink footage etc.. none of this helps you now though...

You can try importing the bad project into a NEW ppro project. I mean that literally. Create a new project then go to the import menu and import the original project. This probably wont work, but hey it might shows you what is wrong.

Also, check your windows application logs for errors. Might give you a clue there.

Agreed. Yes he has a lot of questions, and runs into a lot of issues/problems along the way. Being a total ass is not called for, if you've nothing useful to contribute, why even open the thread to begin with?

Because the best thing for him is STOP asking questions on here, to SHUT UP AND SHOOT

SUS_FreelanceCover.jpg

Please tell me at what point in the 3 years he has been here, has he been helped to make a short film by posting threads and questions.

Maybe he is having premiere problems.. i almost would guarantee you it's not a virus problem
If he has a software specific issue he is probably better going to a forum for premiere not indietalk

I do honestly believe that if people stopped humoring him that maybe he would finally learn his lesson.

So I ask you - who is really helping and who is being an ENABLER?

dr_phil_teen_youtube_beating.jpg

Last edited:
Autosave did not work?

The problem is is that when the project became corrupted, autosave, saved the corruption to the back up before the project closed. At least I am amusing that's what happened. My computer froze while I was saving the back up copy, for a few minutes. After freezing I tried to re-open it later, but it would not open, both copies.

I tried asking on an Adobe forum before, but no one got back to me, and I wanted an answer quick in case it was a virus and it was only a matter of time before things got worse. Doesn't look like it is one. Still no answer from Adobe, but I will keep looking.

So it's probably a good idea, to export a copy, so I have a different copy saved that is not a Premiere Pro project in case Premiere Pro corrupts. I do with my my screenplays. I will save a .pdf of them as well, in case the program fails.

But making a .pdf is a lot faster than making a movie file, which is why I don't export as often as I should, now that I have learned.

Last edited:
I would check your system for viruses or other malware. There are a lot of free and paid programs. You might want to check the free version of CCleaner or Malwarebyte's anti malware. Have you been regularly maintaining your computer by doing scans and registry cleans?

Well I save my projects to a back up external harddrive. That has been my back up so far. What must have happened was that my computer must have corrupted the project as I saved it. Then when I copied it to external hardrive, I copied and replaced it with the corruption in place.

However I think found it! My project was called How to Pick up Men 3. I titled it with a 3, because it's the 3rd edit I made, and liked the 3rd one best. However, Premiere Pro now saved it as How to Pick up Men 3-1.

Any reason why it would it would save it as a new number, and in a different place?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back