Have you guys ever gotten your camera stolen?

hi everyone,

Just a silly question I picked. Ever got your camera stolen on set? I mean, I, personally havent but I think there is a little risk when your crew is not that large yet and when youre shooting outside in public.

What are your experiences? :)

Cameras are stolen all the time. I worked as a news cameraman for over 30 years, and
we had one camera stolen right off the tripod when the cameraman turned his back.
Another was stolen out of the open door of a live truck while the cameraman was editing
on his laptop in the front seat. News cameras are big and bulky and not easy to hide,
but people steal them anyway...they cost anywhere from $30,000 to $100,000 each too.

Keep an eye on it? Don't leave it out and walk away?

I think set insurance covers theft.

The only gear we had stolen was stuff left overnight at an event. They had security watching the room. All they took were a few pairs of RTS headsets haha. Not the beltpacks though?

That same event another year someone walked off with laptops and a lot more overnight, but security caught them before they got away.

Just be smart with your gear. Remember that a camera is a tool more-so than a treasure. Even if it's expensive, it's useless and therefore worthless if you're so worried about it that it never sees the light of day.

I always have my equipment under my careful watch or someone I trust. I haven't had anyone steal my camera or equipment but I've had enough idiots play around and break mics/cameras that they might as well have stolen them. Nothing worse than an actor or crew messing around on a dolly or jib and finding the lens to your camera cracked. One of the downsides to small budget Indie's.

Back