Have you ever tried to film a short without a script?

No script? We've done that. No ideas? That seems pretty hard to pull off.

Most of our projects are done for 48 hour competitions and the like, so it's actually rare that we have a true script. We always have a premise, and some sort of story though, although even then sometimes it's pretty incomplete when we start shooting. I tend to just build the story and edit in my head, then guide the shoot based on that, adapt it as we come up with new ideas, and then find the final flow of the story in editing. It's not easy, and it doesn't always turn out great, but it seems to work out ok most of the time - it just takes practice and you really need to have someone in charge who can essentially see the finished project in their head and wrangle everything well.

Many of my shorts are improvised. I tend to view scripts as a blueprint anyway, and we come up with better stuff when we finish the shots we needed and just riff lines.

I'm in comedy though, so if I ever did drama, it'd be much easier to go without a script. However, action, horror, etc. would need to be at least planned a little bit.

It's mostly dialogue that we improvise, but sometimes we also figure out the shots in the moment.

I recommend it because it keeps your art fresh and all acting is better when it's "in the moment." Just remember, you can always cut around any useless moments in the footage. Shooting cutaways is also key.

There's a certain energy that comes from making it up on the spot that puts you at the top of your game, even if you're having a bad day and don't really wanna sit there and act, direct, or even be awake.

The group I'm in, The Skitchbook, does all their films without a script. However, the director usually has somewhat of an outline in his head. Here's a couple of the shorts we've done sans script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxydt3mi_ag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGzIFazGD7s&feature

I am 180 degrees opposite. I film everything exactly as scripted with no improvisation, every line delivered exactly as written, every bit of blocking worked out before hand, every shot on the shotlist (for the most part).

Supposedly, Iron Man didnt have a script. Only an outline. It's the exact same as having every small little detail planned beforehand, only you feel better at the end of the day, and usually it ends up better because of the energy it creates

Yeah, I know what you mean. With this web-series I have my shot list in my head and the other actors think I'm making it all up on the spot. I'm not letting them improvise much since we're pressed for time in most of the locations, though when my character's on screen, it's mostly all I do.

I would if I could.

Grab my camera, shoot random stuff and turn it into something that actual means something.

I think it's definitely possible but you need to have some rare talent. And even with that you might have to keep it very short.

I think one can make a short or a long movie without a script.
When I drive around and see a location I can 'see' in my mind what kind of movie you can shoot there. To give you an example:

I was down at the dock where all these fishing boats tied up. It was dark, early evening. I asked a DP and others when they look down there, what kind of story you see?
I suppose many in this business doing their job well, it's planned and they know their craft. However no one could come up with any story or even an idea what to shoot.

I 'saw' a dark story of a smuggling ring as they unloaded the boat. The lighting was perfect and I'd not add more lights and use the dock lights only. It makes it more mysterious and dramatic. Then someone on the shore are watching them. A few close-up shots but not giving away the entire face.

On the spot I could have shot a story without any script, or even a discussion of the story. Position actors and instruct them of the action to take place. In my library there are tons of footage could have been added to the story. I don't like much dialog, it's the best way to shoot and action flick and tell the story.

Yes, anyone can do on the spot story and shoot it. You just need a good imagination and a motivated crew who trust you to make things happen :)
I know several people who are superb editors and they can take junk shots and make it into a great story. They are not shooters, editors and they know how to do it. There are so many talented people out there who don't have a chance to break in this business... it's a shame.

Have you ever been lazy and filmed something without scripts/storyboards/ideas?

How did it turn out?
My first ten or so films were made that way. That's how I learned to
make movies. In general my friends and I would get together, pool
what little money we had and buy as much film as we could - I started
in the days before cameras with built in hard drives. Then we would
shoot until we a) ran out of film or b) ran out of light.

I never though of that as lazy - I thought of myself as a filmmaker so
I made films.

The first few did not turn out well. But each one got a little better.

Back