Has anyone used GoFundMe ?

Has anyone ever used GoFundMe to raise money for a production? I'm trying to raise about $500 to $750 to buy iStock video clips for just a 15 minute YouTube video, although it's a comedy that makes fun of Democrats. In times like these, people are VERY passionate about politics. It's also a parody of TV show. The concept would sell itself. As an editor/musician/ audio guy I would already have a short demo of the project for people to see.

But my impression is that in order to raise money on GoFundMe you have to do all of the leg work to draw attention to your fundraiser, otherwise forget it. You can't just post a fundraiser and expect to get GoFundMe page views from Internet strangers visiting the site. Correct?

Last edited:
But my impression is that in order to raise money on GoFundMe you have to do all of the leg work to draw attention to your fundraiser, otherwise forget it. You can't just post a fundraiser and expect to get GoFundMe page views from Internet strangers visiting the site. Correct?
Correct.

You have never just stumbled upon a stranger funding something
and donated. No one else will. If you want people to fund your
iStock purchases you'll need to let people know you need the money.

Let us know when you start the fundraising.

iStock Photo is $52 per video (@ web resolution 640 X 320) if you buy 36 credits (enough for 6 videos). These prices are out of line with the revenue people are generating on YouTube.

There's gotta be cheaper alternatives out there. I guess you just have to search far and wide for people who might have the footage. Of course you run the risk that an independent seller doesn't actually own the rights.

If you promote the campaign the right way, there's a chance people will donate. You said it leans one way politically, so tap into that... and promote it to the left leaning side on twitter and fb... if they feel it needs to be made, they might donate. Your promo video needs to be compelling. Shit. People are donating to a campaign for ladders to scale the wall to counter the campaign for the wall...

People are donating to a campaign for ladders to scale the wall to counter the campaign for the wall...
Stuff like this probably gets traction by getting media coverage. And it gets initially started by political action groups that already have LOADS of politically charged twitter followers, facebook followers, etc.

Okay so give up because you have to promote, and you can't just sit back and collect money.

You might also consider asking a group of video makers if any of them have the footage your seeking and are willing to donate it or license it cheaply. I gave a bunch of clips to a guy who was making a relaxation video, back in the day. I had a bunch of stock footage of waterfalls, creeks, ocean surf, camp fires, etc.

Can you tell us what you're looking for?

You might also consider asking a group of video makers if any of them have the footage your seeking
I just starting searching for independent licensers. Lots on YouTube. iStock is just out of my budget.
I'm a long ways off from gathering clips but some of the things I'll need...
People celebrating in the streets.
ANTIFA vandalizing businesses.
US / Mexico border footage
Prison footage (exterior OK)
Shots of Capital Hill, the Lincoln Memorial, Mount Rushmore
Shots of closed businesses
Aerial and ground level shots of snowed in cities
People entering NFL football stadiums, shots of the field but with no logos.
Happy family videos (ex - having dinner, playing outside, hanging in living room).
Home invasion robbery (perhaps from someone's low budget movie)
Politician making speech

Back