greetings

I am a newbie as well, and after googling for this type of forum I am so glad I was able to find this page!!
(talk about small things in life that excite me), anyway I am a musician who live in California (O.C), and have always held movie making close to my heart. I understand and truly feel that all the best equipment in the world wont matter unless your script is primo!

I have seen allot of the works posted here, in the form of links and I must say i am quite impressed with the amount of talent out there. I have a question about cameras, more specifically the canon xl-2e which I know is PAL but I was wondering since they seem cheaper in price in the states, (due to PAL) is there a converter to be able to use this type of PAL camera, in the states to use as NTSC? just a question.

also I like this camera and the Panasonic DVX100b do any of you recommend or know of other cameras of this stature and price range? (plus I would love if you have any links to see the differences). I see that the panasonic has a "film" mode? does anyone know what this mode does?

I am honored to be surrounded by all you out there with enormous talent.:lol:

Hello from from another Newbie :) It's enjoyable to watch the amount of people coming on the boards, and I've been a very short while! Very helpful here on just about any subject. It's a forum where there really are no dumb questions(and I'm best at those *L*)

thanks Tinalera

Interesting and you are right it is nice to see new peeps coming in here, there is alot of good info on these boards. Nice to meet you Tinalera!

'sup, new guy :cool:

I'm not quite sure I fully understand your question, the way it was asked. Converters, and such.

I shot film on a PAL camera, once. My editing software (Adobe) allows you to create a project in either NTSC or PAL, so it was basically setting up a new project. The camera plugged in just like any other, footage was imported as PAL, it was edited as such, and that was that. No problems at all.

When it came time to burn a DVD, that's when it was time to play with a few export options - so the DVD ended up as NTSC. That part wasn't so tricky, either.

I just read that you get more "definition" out of a pal unit? what i meant was living in the US, i noticed the PAL cameras are cheaper. Since I am in the market, are you saying I could buy a PAL type camera, and still use it like normal NTSC? or do you need a converter of sorts? I understand what you mean converting in Adobe, and if that's the case why not just buy a camera set for PAL? (since price is cheaper) unless there is something that would come back to bite me, later on?

Back