Greetings from South Africa

Howdy,

I am a Director/writer/producer frpm Johannesburg South Africa - been doing this for 15 odd years now and in the process of setting up a Film School in an effort to generate content.

Check out www.reeledge.co.za if you are interested.

This is a great site, really don't know why i haven't visited before...

Anyways - Hi.....

hey There,

the School is actually set up like a studio - there is all the camera, lighting and grips equipment needed to make a film. There are production offices for meetings etc..

Students will obviously not be producing content good enough in their first year and, perhaps, even their second year - although i do believe that second year graduation films will be of a quality to distrubute. I suppose you need to understand the South African market and the challenges that face an industry in a constant state of flux. Investers are few and far between because of failed films and although Totsi and district 9 do help there are another 100 films that fail dismally. We have 40 million south Africans who are still, in a way, disenfranchised by the industry. the township medium is not TV and definately not the local broadcaster - who has just misappropriated R380 million rand and caused 80% of the countries production houses to close - the township medium is the DVD. People living in townships are purchaseing huge quantities of Nollywood films because they are starved for content. Our school has a big idea at it's core, "To change the face of the South african Film Industry - One Movie at a Time!". There are fewer and fewer jobs avaidable and we want to foster an independant film amking spirit - The digital revolution has made it possible to do more for less...

We have been accused of explotation or living vicariously through our students - this is not the case with myslf and my partner. We are both extremely succesful South African film makersand we are both sinking huge amounts of our own money into this venture because we believe that the model works - we have trialed the model at another film school and out of the 70 students taught, over a 9 month period, 50 have gotten steady industry jobs and 10 have gone on to implement ourt ditrubution models to great success. these 10 kids were literally eating out of dustbins to survive and they are now earning up to R50 000 a month (About $6-7k a month).

We know that there will be skeptics but believe that ultimately the work will speak for itselves.

We have alsio secure finance from focus Features to shoot a film next year where all the students will work on in various roles - earning money to learn from the Pros...

i hope that that gives you a little more insight into The Reel Edge Film Academy... thanks for the response and i look forward to chatting with you more...

Dave

Hi compulsive1... My partner and i are in a unique position in SA. We both attended film school and recieved batchelor degrees in film, directing/writing for me and ediing for my wife... We son realized that nobody cared what degree we had and that, in fact, in ws your showreel that was more important. Film has and must operate as a meritocracy. We have then been working in the industry for around 15 years, generating a body of work, contacts, networks and capital. I've always thought that our training was suffiecient but neglected many key areas like film business, client relations, pitching and proposals, creative budgeting, marketing your reel and many other things and i've, over the last 8 years, harboured the desire to set things straight, from a training point of view, in SA... But life, as it so often does, happens... Around two years ago my wife, who is the Chairman of SAGE - The South African Guild of Editors and regarded as one of the best, if not the best, editor in the country as well as an emmy awrad winning editor - was invited to do mentor a class of underpriveleged kids at an NGO film school in Johannesburg, the school actually pays the students to attend and there are no tuition fees. She suggested to them that i might be interesed in tutoring some students and they invited me to tutor a class. I accepted and went in for a morning - I Loved it! it was incredbly satisfying but i figured that was that, i wouldn't be asked back. I recieved a phone call from the founder the following day saying that the students learnt more from me in one morning than they had for the entire 6 months they had been there and asked me to finish up as their head mentor - i accepted. Since then i, in between making short films and commercials - gotta feed my family, have been the head mentor for 4 classes. I not only teach the technical and narrative but also the businss side. many of these students, almost 85%, have gone on to great jobs in the industry and all their employers are stunned at their understanding of the industry and their knowledge of film making.
However, the NGO jas issues - their mandate is to right the wrongs of SA's aparthied past and i don't have a problem with that but they only want the students to make socially concious documentaries. The students have a deep desire to do drama but are not allowed, in the last 2 months we have the school has produced 28 documentaries.
i just decided, enough is enough, at the beginning of this year and have branched out on my own... We have the backing of many advertising agencies in SA including the biggest in SA, DraftFCB and we have industry leading professionals as our mentors and they include Oscar nominated, Emmy award winning, Cannes Lion winning, Clio Winning and loerie winning individuals. We also have the top Grips and Gaffers on hand to teach the students.

I have just purchased a ton of equipment from panasonic SD HD cameras, for 1st year students, Red cameras, for Second and Third years plus dollies, jibs, a full lighting package and full post production sweets in n effortto change the face of the South African Film Industry - One damned movie at a time....

that was a really long answer to a relatively simple question - hope i didn't bore you!!

I LOVE IT! Looks like you have a great system on your hands! It's nice to see industry experts taking the initiative to make movies happen rather than teaching basic theory. Congrats!

We should definitely connect.

I'm basically an indie filmmaker in the states. Just learning more about the industry everyday. Really wanting to get work on major studios. Thanks for asking. How's the indie scene there?
The indie scene is virtually non exsistant but is growing - too slowly. People are getting features made but they are technically and narritavely below par.
Guys are trying to make films to win oscars and fail dismally - i Believe that are primary purpose, as filmmakers, is to entertain and the guys making these films are forgetting That. look at Bollywood and nollywood - these markets started to flourish when their filmmakers started to tell local stories in generic genre ways, thriller, horror, comedy, musical etc - i know this sounds crazy but it worked and the proof is there for all the world to see.
it's the thing that keeps hollywood alive as well... yes, i have a desire to change minds or shape thought through substantive storytelling but IN South Africa we have to learn how to entertain first.

It's a struggle man! But i'm up for the challenge - believe i was born to do this!!

It's a struggle man! But i'm up for the challenge - believe i was born to do this!!

I definitely commend you and honor your courage. I think the industry needs some fresh air. It's all cookie-cutter stuff at this point. I understand there's a formula... but this formula needs a breath of fresh air. A new standard should be set and again I think you have a great idea on your hands. If there's anything I could do let me know. I'd love to help out.

I definitely commend you and honor your courage. I think the industry needs some fresh air. It's all cookie-cutter stuff at this point. I understand there's a formula... but this formula needs a breath of fresh air. A new standard should be set and again I think you have a great idea on your hands. If there's anything I could do let me know. I'd love to help out.
Absolutely.... We are gonna need all the help we can get... not sure how you could help though considering we are 9000 miles, give or take, apart... But i would love to hear what, perhaps, you would have in mind...

Back