Greeting from New Hampshire

About me:
Well, let's see... I'm in my early thirties and have long had a love for low budget independent films. I was watching one of the Pendulum Pictures 50 movie DVD packs not all that long ago, and came to the conclusion: "Hey, I can do this!" I'm sure I'm probably one of the few aspiring filmmakers that can actually list Todd Sheets as an inspiration.

Anyhow, I live in northern New Hampshire... not exactly the film-making mecca. In fact, sometimes I wonder if the people around here are even aware of this nifty invention called "Moving Pictures". On the bright side, there is almost no regulation of the industry here, which is always a good thing for the guy who wants to create features with no budget.

I also have no misconceptions about making money or making it big in the industry. I realize it's probably going to cost me thousands out of my own pocket to make movies and I'll probably never get any monetary return on that investment. I'm interested in film making because I'd love to make movies, and that's worth it to me, even if I lose money in the process (of course not losing money would be nice... and making money even better, but I prefer to be realistic about my chances).

Welcome Grasshopper!

I'm one of the audio guys here.

Keep in mind that the search function is your friend. Everyone here is always very glad to help you out, but a lot of the "basics" questions have been asked and answered many times.

And always remember:

"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

Thanks for the welcome :)

Indeed, I've already found the search function to be fantastic! I've been able to dig up the answers to just about every question I can think of.

Lebanon is not a bad area. I've been through there a few times.

I came across a trailer for a movie called "The Id Proxy" which appears to have been shot by guys in the Manchester-Derry area and there's a couple films listed in the "gigs" section of craigslist. I think you're right about the southern part of the state having the highest concentration of film makers.

Have you made any films yourself, yet?

I did a short documentary last fall for my class called "Smoke Out!". Shot it pretty much in the Claremont area.

And I did help as a PA on an independent feature, called "the CLEAR" shot down in Milford, and I'm waiting to hear back from a guy who's shooting a movie in Franklin and looking for crew. Maybe land a DP job out of it.

Craigslist is real hit and miss for this area (or any area for that matter) but sometimes you get lucky, if you want to travel far.

I did a short documentary last fall for my class called "Smoke Out!". Shot it pretty much in the Claremont area.

And I did help as a PA on an independent feature, called "the CLEAR" shot down in Milford, and I'm waiting to hear back from a guy who's shooting a movie in Franklin and looking for crew. Maybe land a DP job out of it.

Craigslist is real hit and miss for this area (or any area for that matter) but sometimes you get lucky, if you want to travel far.

Nice.

It's pretty much a given that I'd have to travel to work on other projects. I've also been toying with the idea of placing an ad on craigslist looking for other people in northern New Hampshire interested in the idea of making movies, with no experience required. I'm not sure what kind of response I'd get, but it would be nice to get one or two people who were motivated, enthusiastic and who would bring creative ideas of their own to the table. I figure technical skills can always be learned.

Nice.

It's pretty much a given that I'd have to travel to work on other projects. I've also been toying with the idea of placing an ad on craigslist looking for other people in northern New Hampshire interested in the idea of making movies, with no experience required. I'm not sure what kind of response I'd get, but it would be nice to get one or two people who were motivated, enthusiastic and who would bring creative ideas of their own to the table. I figure technical skills can always be learned.

Well if you got any ideas on what you want to do just pm me. I got a few short scripts that would cost next to nothing to make, and some low level equipment: a consumer level camera and a microphone.

You don't need that many people. I shot "Smoke Out!" with pretty much a two man crew and an actor or two.

Back