• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Green screen in a car ideas?

I'm working on a music video in which people need to be inside of a car with a green screen, but I've never really used a green screen before. From the research I've done, I'm assuming all I really need to do for an optimal set up is to put an efficient Chroma key fabric around the windows of the vehicle and keep the car lights on for efficient lighting. Although, I'd like to get everything right, as this is a paying gig.

Also, I have no idea what kind of fabric I should get. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful.

What i would do is only put the fabric on the windows that are going to be in each shot. That way you can roll down the other windows and shine lights through it for efficiant lighting. Because remember you need the green lit seperatly from the actor. so that way theirs no shadows.

As for fabric you can really use any distinct color i think this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-X-20-Ft-Chro...raphy_Background_Material&hash=item4aad4b9c56

Would be good Seeing that its only 40 Usd and 10 feet by 20 feet thats pretty big. Also since its cheap you probably wouldnt mind cutting it so you can make it fit more than one window if you need.

First of all, we're filming this at whatever time would be more convenient, which I assume would be daytime.

Also, the only windows we're not using are the back windows, as the video is entirely POV shots. This creates lighting issues, though, as the car is full of people. A light through the back and all the car lights on would help, I assume, but I'm not sure if it would be enough lighting.

I use a simple greenscreen and stands, like this:

185539_10150740757610494_603930493_20136430_6978303_n.jpg

We greenscreened a Truck scene in my garage, but get that screen several feet back and light separately (as stated). On the opposite angle it was too close and lit too bright, so we had a problem with spill - which is light that reflects off the greenscreen and onto the actor, giving him an outline that had to be fixed. Also note the tinted rear window, which can screw with you. Anyway, you just move the stands around the car, depending on your angles.

Truck2.jpg

starstruck.jpg

Also, a really nice trick is to shoot moving backgrounds, then reverse them "onto the outside of the windows/windshield." Adjust your opacity or transparency setting so that they are just visible enough. This really sells the shot to make it seem like the car is moving.

Last edited:
I doubt the car lights will give you sufficient lighting. You also want to keep the fabric back from the windows a couple feet at least, and you'll need to be careful that it's not reflecting off any chrome, etc inside the car or you'll get holes when you key it. Even shiny black plastic or upholstery in the interior will tend to reflect green, and you often won't be able to see it until you get to the keying stage. Scoopicman's shot with the screen outdoors is probably the best combination of ease of setup and quality - even sunlight will give you a great key, but depending on how long your shoot is you'll possibly run into issues as the lighting changes throughout the day.

I tried using green screen for drivers side.. was shooting outside in bright day light.. needless to say majority of my interior had green tin everywhere haha

My lesson was don't shoot with green screen been too close to the car, and ouside in bright day..

Keep your green screen several feet back from the car and make sure it's evenly lit, with no wrinkles in the fabric. Don't just cover the windows with green fabric. Check all interior reflections for green screen spill. Then light your subjects separately.

Back