GoPro Hero3 White

Loud Orange Cat

Pro Member
indiePRO
I got one of these cameras as a freebie, but not an athlete, I have no freakin' idea what the hell to do with it. I know if cat shoot 720p at 60fps in case I need some slow motion footage (and that's cool) but I know nothing about these except what I've read on their website. So, of course, I still don't know if I could use it.

Throw some ideas what I can do with this thing.

gopro.jpg

Well I've always been slightly against these cameras for film makers however I have recently bought one for something I'm doing that needs an extremely light camera. It's currently top secret but involves the air.... ;)

Shoot a car chase. Buy the $30 suction cup and go nuts. Put it low to the ground and at a Dutch angle on the car and it'll feel faster than you're driving.

Time lapses are a lot of fun with GoPros too.

Pro Tip: buy the $6 tripod adapter and some various lighting clamps. There are several like these for cheap that have a 1/4"-20 thread screw on them so you can get set up for less than other GoPro mounts AND use the clamps for lighting on a set. There are spring clams and c clamps and everything in between. Here's one:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=140732713703

The gopro is great for getting creative shots on a budget. You can put it in the oddest of places which provide unique perspectives. Getting shots like the car one which Paul mentioned can also add some production value to your film.

I tried to use it in a few unique situations, but I couldn't get it to a darn thing I wanted. So, I called the company and started asking questions. The rep laughed when I said I tried to do "X," he said it wasn't meant for that and wouldn't do that. I also asked why put WiFi on the camera if it won't stream the video. "We're looking into that for a future release in a few years." he said.

I can't use it for anything. Luckily, I have someone who's willing go give his left nut for it (asked only for $100). It's pretty much sold now. For him, it's perfect. He does pro stock car racing and already has one, the second would be a bonus.

I need to look for another company who makes cameras that can do what I want them to do (wifi based streaming surveillance). I was thinking Axis. They make hella good stuff.

Back