Good ways to fake desert location.

For my short film I need desert for the plot, but there is none around where I live. Is there a good way to fake it or green screen it convincingly?

I wouldn't suggest a greenscreen. I tried faking desert with one last year, doing a set in front of it with a tarp completely covered in Sand. (the tarp was simply to get the sand out once we were doing easier). It was a complete mess, unless you can light it perfectly and find the perfect backdrop, it's just not doable. (But it IS doable with the right backdrop)

Trickery with some stock footage or hire someone on the site here to get some desert shots for you, and then shoot on a beach near you with high angles so you don't see the horizon, just the sand, which works for desert shots, like a POV of the sun. Be creative, get it done.

Some strip mines, landfills or construction sites may have large piles of dirt and sand. When we made TERRARIUM in my backyard, I paid about $200 to have 20 tons of sand trucked in. I have a dirt backyard, but the sand made it look like a set from LOST IN SPACE. :lol:

Somethingmoving.jpg

On the other side of the yard, I dug up dirt and made these two dirt mounds that served as just a dirt backdrop, otherwise, you would see our fence!

259860_10150641632115494_603930493_19096548_6319493_n.jpg

Ok I hitchhiked this great country of ours. From one side of canada to the other. I have seen purple sky's over Alberta. I have seen snow in july in the Rockies. I have seen a beautiful sunset durring a extreemly bad thunder storm in ontario. Hell I even have seen a mermaid of the Grand Banks of Newfoundland. What I never sawis an unsutibale location to shoot a deseart scean in Saskatchewan. 90% of that provence is desert like. Honestly just look around a little bit go talk to a farmer use on of his fields he is not using that season. If you were looking for a hilly background in Saskatchewan i could understand but not a desert. Just look!

You relize that every desert has some sort of shrubery and you can use farers fields that they are not growing on you know they are ltting it go falow use that and if you say you can not find a farm in Saskatchewan your blind.

For my film "On the Fringe" I found a local sand pit (gravel company) and was able to cheat, crop and frame it so that the main character looked like he was definitely in the middle of nowhere. Maybe do a local Yellow Page search for sand pits, gravel delivery?

Back