movies GI Jane

It's okay to criticize me, I already called @Unknown Screenwriter crazy (but not really). On that point I was trying to say how crazy it will be if comedians now have to scan the audience for spouses to be able to tell a joke, when the room is full of power couples. Can you joke about Hillary if Bill is there? But now I know what he meant, and it was about this joke, and sensitive jokes, and prudence with family present (or not also). So no, not crazy. 😂
It's getting to be a pretty complicated world out there for entertainers. We have to navigate a maze of logistics like this, created by people that don't consider logistics at all. I sort of fear for the future of comedy and entertainment in general, as we all get boxed in by the kneejerk reactions of a million groups. Perhaps tolerance should be more universal, and we should all take a step back and learn to laugh together again.

It's getting to be a pretty complicated world out there for entertainers. We have to navigate a maze of logistics like this, created by people that don't consider logistics at all. I sort of fear for the future of comedy and entertainment in general, as we all get boxed in by the kneejerk reactions of a million groups. Perhaps tolerance should be more universal, and we should all take a step back and learn to laugh together again.

Agreed... Which is why I'm writing books now. I just can't stand how ENTERTAINMENT changed after the financial meltdown. I didn't even realize the evolvement until just a few years ago. I can no longer write the kinds of movies I WANT TO SEE if I want to sell a spec. Those days are GONE forever and to be honest? I don't want to evolve along with it. LOL.

I'm good.

Last edited:
But I can imagine it's gotta be tough to always be ON when you're not at home... LOL. I wouldn't wish that kind of life on anyone yet at the same time? It is what it is and for some in the business... That's the price they have to pay.

Once I was reconciled to the fact that I would not be a rock star, and concentrated on my "supporting" role of musical director, it actually made my life a little easier. One band with which I performed was rather notorious; every time I went out to shop or eat or whatever I would be accosted by fans. Okay, it was only a regional act, but it gave me an inkling of what big name celebrities deal with on a daily basis.

I've seen the "slap" probably 50 times since it occurred on various news and commentary programs. You know what? I DON'T CARE! I gave up on the Academy Awards years ago; nothing but a love fest to inflate egos, promote careers and make money. 90% of them have egos inversely proportional to their talent, and ZERO respect for the social graces.

Now, as to the incident itself...

Comedy is all about pain or sex. That's what the politically correct and SJWs seem to forget. Someone is ALWAYS hurt by a joke. I always go back to Mel Brooks in History Of The World Part One; "I'm a stand-up philosopher!" Comedy is supposed to be a way to laugh at ourselves, pointing out the absurdities of life. I can remember when Richard Pryor would riff on being black and then his drug problems. BUT AT LEAST THE ISSUES WERE BEING DISCUSSED, even if it was in a comedy routine. Comedy is supposed to challenge your perspectives, all while laughing at it. Does anyone remember Ronald Reagan's trickle-down economics? I can't remember which comedian said, "Yeah; the rich get richer and the rest of us get trickled on!" Correct or not, that was funny. George Carlin had us laughing at all sorts of social issues. Carlin was a master at pointing out the absurdities of life.

And I don't even understand Will Smith's response at all. A G.I Jane joke? Demi Moore looked good with a shaved head, and JPS doesn't look too bad at all, even if her hairstyle is the result of alopecia. So why would Will get ticked off?

Just another example of connected oversized egos getting away with things that would incur legal actions against the rest of us.

In my opinion:

Most comedians aren't very funny.
Many are unbearably pretentious when talking about their "craft."

Will Smith should have been dragged out of the place by security.
Chris Rock should press charges and, in addition, sue for a few million.

And Dave Chapelle is an ass.

Last edited:
Once I was reconciled to the fact that I would not be a rock star, and concentrated on my "supporting" role of musical director, it actually made my life a little easier. One band with which I performed was rather notorious; every time I went out to shop or eat or whatever I would be accosted by fans. Okay, it was only a regional act, but it gave me an inkling of what big name celebrities deal with on a daily basis.

I've seen the "slap" probably 50 times since it occurred on various news and commentary programs. You know what? I DON'T CARE! I gave up on the Academy Awards years ago; nothing but a love fest to inflate egos, promote careers and make money. 90% of them have egos inversely proportional to their talent, and ZERO respect for the social graces.

Now, as to the incident itself...

Comedy is all about pain or sex. That's what the politically correct and SJWs seem to forget. Someone is ALWAYS hurt by a joke. I always go back to Mel Brooks in History Of The World Part One; "I'm a stand-up philosopher!" Comedy is supposed to be a way to laugh at ourselves, pointing out the absurdities of life. I can remember when Richard Pryor would riff on being black and then his drug problems. BUT AT LEAST THE ISSUES WERE BEING DISCUSSED, even if it was in a comedy routine. Comedy is supposed to challenge your perspectives, all while laughing at it. Does anyone remember Ronald Reagan's trickle-down economics? I can't remember which comedian said, "Yeah; the rich get richer and the rest of us get trickled on!" Correct or not, that was funny. George Carlin had us laughing at all sorts of social issues. Carlin was a master at pointing out the absurdities of life.

And I don't even understand Will Smith's response at all. A G.I Jane joke? Demi Moore looked good with a shaved head, and JPS doesn't look too bad at all, even if her hairstyle is the result of alopecia. So why would Will get ticked off?

Just another example of connected oversized egos getting away with things that would incur legal actions against the rest of us.
Yeah... Ultimately? I could care less myself... LOL. I'm certainly not losing any sleep over any of it. Just thought it could make for an interesting discussion.

Back