• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

getting the 'film look'

I have yet to really find use for this, but I am thinking that this spring I will need to know how to make standard 24p footage look more 'film like'. I did an IT search, and got too many hits to go through (500) so I was wondering if anyone had an answer or remembers the post to find out how to do this.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. I am looking for a plug-in or FCP effect orsomething that might make things look a little better.

Any ideas?

-- spinner :cool:

Yes, I'm still using the DVX. For the most part, the projects I've been doing lately just want me to not cut people's heads off.:rolleyes:

But there have been a couple of projects where I think it would add to the end result. The production quality has been pretty good, it just looks more...uh, video-ey than I'd like.

As for the DSLRs, well, show me a feature made with one and maybe I'll consider it. Right now, I don't think I'm ready to get on this band wagon just yet.

-- spinner :cool:

^ 28 Days Later was shot on DV

3m73o53pc5Y25V25U0a7k61be5795f31d1119.jpg

I've responded with the same info in what seems to be most of those 500 posts that came up in your search. It's not a camera thing (all you can do there is expose frame and focus)... it's all of the stuff that happens before and after the light hits the CCD/CMOS/Film that makes it look like film.

Lighting, costume, makeup, set design, script, blocking, acting, post production audio treatments, shot stabilization, grading, etc... all without considering the camera at all.

manage your exposure well will get you the closest in camera, light your subjects to match the brightness of the background... light your subjects well and expose the camera to them. then click the exposure down one click (or beep or whatever your camera does) to protect your highlights... now add light to the shadows so they can just barely be seen - this will give you the most options in camera and protect your highlights from blowing out and your blacks from clipping.

Ive just finished shooting a feature on a Canon 5d, takes a little longer to set shots up because of the focus, but the depth of field is amazing, even more critical than the RED.

If you want movie images on a small budget this is the camera to go for.

Check out the trailer for some of the results. www.attackoftheherbals.com

In terms of post production, if you havn't really had much experience with colour correction, you could purchase Magic Bullet Looks. Go to their website and browse over their stuff, there should be a look to suit your needs.

I agree, but with one caveat. 24p and shallow depth of feel are important.

I think the risk of overdoing shallow depth of field is going to be one of the telltale signs of a newbie with the DSLR craze in full swing. I have already noticed this in some very claustrophopbic shorts. Like most things, if overdone, it deadens your ability to manipulate the audience's eye.

I think the risk of overdoing shallow depth of field is going to be one of the telltale signs of a newbie with the DSLR craze in full swing. I have already noticed this in some very claustrophopbic shorts. Like most things, if overdone, it deadens your ability to manipulate the audience's eye.

I agree. Nevertheless, I do think it's an important tool to have at your disposal. I actually shot my feature using wide depth of field the vast majority of time. If anyone asks, you can tell them this was an artistic choice.

But on the down-low, it was purely a logistical choice. I didn't have the man-power or expertise to constantly be pulling focus.

Back