german expressionism

hi all i'm back... do you even still remember me :huh: !?!?! well i used to be a very regular memeber on this forum up until a month ago when i went on holiday and then school kinda took over my life.
but have no fear i am back HI :hi:
well the reason i am posting is (if you couldn't already guess) because of german expressionism films. we've just taken a quick look at them in my film & tv class & i've come to realise that i really like them. we saw "the cabinet of Dr. caligari" & "Nosferatu" and i just love the way these films were made. so i was wondering if you could tell me of any other german expressionism films as i would really really like to see more.
thanx :bag:

Hi BH!

Didn't recognise you with that :bag: on your head!

Those films are great indeed, yes.

I'm not really sure how to define "expressionism" films... but if it means old, groovy, b&w German silents... I would ask if you have seen "Metropolis"?

bad haircut said:
hi all i'm back... do you even still remember me :huh: !?!?! well i used to be a very regular memeber on this forum up until a month ago when i went on holiday and then school kinda took over my life.
but have no fear i am back HI :hi:
well the reason i am posting is (if you couldn't already guess) because of german expressionism films. we've just taken a quick look at them in my film & tv class & i've come to realise that i really like them. we saw "the cabinet of Dr. caligari" & "Nosferatu" and i just love the way these films were made. so i was wondering if you could tell me of any other german expressionism films as i would really really like to see more.

You should also check out Phantom of the Opera (with Lon Chaney), not German Expressionism, but heavily influenced by the genre, as many horror and noir films were.

hi zensteve good to see you again.
yeah well i was kind of going for that incognito look, but i guess you got me lol.
as for "Metropolis" i've been meaning to see that one.
actually i just turned 18 on the 19th & to celebrate i went to the video store & got my own card!!! oh yeah no more relying on my mom's card :D

Phantom of the Opera is awesome.

Not the one with Claude Raines, but the silent one with Lon Chaney Sr.

(Oh and the Broadway show is pretty :cool: as well... and the movie version of the musical comes out this Christmas too.)

You should also check out Phantom of the Opera (with Lon Chaney), not German Expressionism, but heavily influenced by the genre, as many horror and noir films were.
thanx indietalk good to see you again too!
and next class we're actually gonna view some noir films. can't wait

>>Phantom of the Opera is awesome.<<

Heck yeah! Go see it performed live if you can. The music is absolutely astounding and when combined with decent stage effects it is one hell of a show!

Indeed, Mr Shaw.

I saw it in NYC a few years ago. It's getting a permanent spot built in Las Vegas, too, which is set to open in 2006.

bad haircut said:
so i was wondering if you could tell me of any other german expressionism films as i would really really like to see more.

Der Golem (The Golem)
The Last Laugh

I don't know if this right here in that post but, did anyone saw "Das Boot" one of the best German films by Wolfgang Petersen (Did also "The Storm") a great German Director like Roland Emmerich...

But the other question i ask me many times as a german,

Are German Films only Hollywood copies ?

In the time Emmerichs "The Day After Tomorrow" had Premiere RTL (German TV Channel) made a movies "Ice - When World Freeze" such a copy of Emmerichs Movie---

And there are many more films where the TV Channels try to make "Hollywood" Films for TV with the same Theme like Gladiator they made one year later (again RTL) Hero of the Gladiators and also played Ralf Moeller in the film who actually played in gladitor on the site of Russel Crowe...

I miss the really good German films, but i think we live from the Hollywood Films... but that isn't really a good thing all peoples want to go to Hollywood cause there you can earn the big money but why the german Filmmakers don't make any good movies anymore like in the 60's till the early 90's...

The big Problem what "good" german films have is that they are actually in German-Language and you may know English is a world language but not german and we translate the films into german and make synchron-audiolines but i think (i lovely watch films in original language, keep the real of the film) and i never heard about that USA or any other Country translate the full film cause they make subtitles on it, i saw "Das Boot" in UK and it was in full German language with english subtitles and there i can see that other Countries have more respect for the original film as germany, France, italy or other countries, they synchronisate the films.... did you ever heard the voice of Schwarzenegger in Terminator in german ? :lol: :lol: (i mean he is an austrian but the english sounds really cool not the like the german...)

i hope anyone understand what i mean...

did anyone saw "Das Boot"

Why, yes sir!

That was back in early 80's, if memory serves correctly. The New Zealand cinemas originally showed that in German (with English subtitles), and when it became a hit they switched to an English dub.

When it was released on VHS for rental (no DVD and no buying, either, back then) the big debate was whether to rent the German or English version.

_______

did you ever heard the voice of Schwarzenegger in Terminator in german ?

No... but when I was living in Laufen (SouthEast Bayern) I watched a lot of "Magnum P.I." re-runs on TV, and I found it rather astonishing at how different a character seems when dubbed into another language... with a totally different voice. :lol:

_______

German Expressionism was incredible and probably the best film from that period was "Faust" by Murnau, who also directed Nosferatu

If you are looking for strictly Expressionist films "Der mude Tod/Between worlds/destiny" and "Waxworks" are both considered classics.

if you are just looking for a fantastic German film pre-war, the "M" staring Peter Lorre as a serial child murderer is as good as it gets.

clive said:
German Expressionism was incredible .
So true. I really love the films from this period. I think it's interesting when you see modern filmmakers that appear to be heavily influenced by them like Tim Burton. Take all the color and dialog out of "Edward Scissorhands" and you pretty much have an expressionist-film.

I remember reading recently that they're remaking "Cabinet of Dr. Caligari", I think I saw something about it on AICN. Has anyone else heard any news about this? Not sure how I feel about that. It's not really the stories in these movies that I like so much, but the style and the way they were made. I hope if they do remake "Cabinet", that they stay true to the original form as much as possible.

I've got "Nosferatu" and "Cabinet" on DVD. If anyone knows where I could pick up some of the others, it would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if you like German cinema, there's a fantastic book called "The Great German Films". Not sure if it is still in print, but I picked up a used copy a couple of years ago. I think the author's last name is Ott.

clive said:
German Expressionism was incredible and probably the best film from that period was "Faust" by Murnau, who also directed Nosferatu

If you are looking for strictly Expressionist films "Der mude Tod/Between worlds/destiny" and "Waxworks" are both considered classics.

if you are just looking for a fantastic German film pre-war, the "M" staring Peter Lorre as a serial child murderer is as good as it gets.

Yeah "M" was one of the first Thriller-movies and also a really good one it is a realy classic-film and that shows how good germany was in filmmaking and what it becomes...

Happy belated B'day, Bad Haircut!

I've two suggestions which may be hanging on the edge of German Expressionism-Carl Dreyer's 'The Passion of Joan of Arc' (Falconetti and Antonin Artuad) and Pabst' 'Pandora's Box' (with the brilliant Louise Brooks).

thanx bird! nice to see you again or rather nice to see you for the 1st time!
wow so many films so little resources lol.
the designs and sets are unreal in "the cabinet or dr. caligari" are the other films like that too? and if they do, do a remake i hope they can do the film justice. cause i would like to see it :pop:

A little off-topic: Had a dream and, of course, only remember fragments of it.
Bad Haircut, you were in it, you had blonde shoulder-length, blunt cut hair with
a right side part.
Clive had a yacht.
Zensteve saved the day...I think it was Tuesday.
BH, if you really have this classic do....for god's sake,'DON'T GET IN THE SPEEDBOAT!!!!!' :scared: ... :D

Last edited:
:eek: bird why did you have to tell me this aaaaaargh :scared:
lol nah i don't have hair like that my hair is half way down my bcak and is dark browm, but i do sometimes have a side part. thanx for the warning though (you've kinda added to my irrational fear of water, but hey no biggie lol just jokes)
and Zensteve my thanx for your bravery :bow:

Back