funeral scene

I want to shoot a gloomy funeral scene with black umbrellas.It will be overcast on shoot day,but no rain.
Can I make the scene(in post and color grading) appear more somber so it looks more realistic?How would you shoot it?

Desaturate the image a tad. You can try tinting the image just a tad too. Play around until you get the look you like.

I'll also beat the resident audio guy here by pointing out that the type of music you select will set the tone for the scene as well.

sun

Desaturate the image a tad. You can try tinting the image just a tad too. Play around until you get the look you like.

I'll also beat the resident audio guy here by pointing out that the type of music you select will set the tone for the scene as well.

I am shooting flat sat all out.8:30-10am in shade .Stiil ok if sun peeps out slightly?

I am shooting flat sat all out.8:30-10am in shade .Stiil ok if sun peeps out slightly?

It may make for a mismatch in editing.

When the sun is in the clouds, shoot the entire scene with a WS (wide shot) before tackling anything else -- that way you'll have a safety fall back. If the sun does come out, shoot your cutaways and extreme closeups, avoiding direct sunlight, including in the background. Use those umbrellas to block direct sunlight when you're going for these close ups in the sun.

Good luck.

You may be able to add some digital rain in wide shots, but for closeups if you don't see rain interacting with the stuff it hits and bouncing/dripping off umbrellas and people then it won't look real.

Plus, all of your actors will be dry.

We just did a rain scene that was so far away from a water source we couldn't use a cheap rain machine. We filled 10 5gallon buckets with water, carted them to the set and stuck a guy with a watering can above the actors. Drenched everyone on screen and you see enough water bouncing off everyone that the extra we add in digital is going to blend nicely.

You could wait for a rainy day.

Or, just don't have it raining in the scene?

Or, just don't have it raining in the scene?

This is what I think. Rain drenched funeral scenes are terribly cliched anyway.

Avoid direct sun when you shoot, then crush the reds and bring up the blues in post. It can still look really good without having to deal with an element that's difficult to predict and expensive to make look good when faking it.

Many indie directors make the mistake of attempting to shoot it the way they wrote it and the scene comes off as unreal and distractive. Shoot it safely so that if a gloomy day doesn't work in post, have the scene set up for a sunny day. Better it looks real than fake.

Back