• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Free/Inexpensive Last Minute DVD Authoring Tips

Hey All!

Okay, so I am out of the country, with very limited resources - just a basic pc laptop. Most importantly, I am without my computer with my proper dvd studio pro and final cut pro.

So, I need to make a dvd with just my film's trailer, and the only file I have is a .mov video. Can anyone help me figure out a free or inexpensive way/program to make a simple dvd with a .mov file, even though the regular windows media player and programs like it don't recognize .mov files?

I'm concerned that converting the video might degrade the quality, when it's of minimal quality to begin with.

Thanks in advance!

For .mov you need quicktime. Free download.
You can buy quicktime pro ($20) and have the ability to convert your file to what ever you want..

However, what are you using to BURN the DVD? That software will trun what ever file you give it to the appropriate MPEG2-DVD standard.. in an operation known as trans-coding.

Thanks

Your basic Windows laptop should have Windows DVD Maker installed on it.

If it's Windows 7 you might have to manually download it again, but it's free anyway.

Back