• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

ad Free and Open Source Software for Screenwriters

Fedora user here. After a long hiatus from the industry, I returned to find that Celtx was online. Started using KIT earlier this week and I really like it. It's now what I use for screenwriting. Спасибо!

Hello!

We have a small update KIT Scenarist 0.7.2 release candidate 5, which included a couple of fixes:
- fixed a problem with the fall of the program when adding links in the research module;
- slightly improved copying of the script text to the clipboard (text written in capital letters in the program will now be copied and pasted into other editors also in the form of capital letters).

That's it.

Hello guys!

Yesterday we launched a fundraising campaign for the release of the KIT Scenarist version 0.8.0! And I invite everyone to take part in it!

https://boomstarter.ru/projects/dimkanovikov/kit_stsenarist_-_programma_dlya_sozdaniya_istoriy

You definitely cannot miss it, because version 0.8.0 will only be available to crowdfunding participants at first 100 days after release!

By participating, you will receive not just another update, it will be a completely new product in which you will find:

- a new, super-fast, intuitive, usable and modern interface;
- the ability to work with series projects;
- improved editors of characters, locations, text documents, and mindmaps;
- intuitive work with outline, script, and corkboard;
- and many many other not so noticeable, but not less useful improvements;
- and of course, itself it will be all the same good old KIT Scenarist, reborn and ready to help on your creative journey!

Crowdfunding participants will be able to be the first to experience the new version, but also they will get cool stickers with Alexander the cat! ;)

Let's go!

P.S. Friends, please help spread the word about the campaign! I will be very grateful to you for reposting, for telling friends. If you have the opportunity to place information about it in the media - this will be just invaluable support for our common cause!

And may the force be with us.

Good day guys,

KIT Scenarist version 0.7.2 rc6 published. It includes:

- added the ability to cancel automatic text corrections, for example, if you do not want a capital letter after the point, then you can undo the last action and get the option without correction;
- added the ability to set the header and footer for the script (Research - Script - Header & Footer);
- fixed the problem with a template used for exporting, when the template in which the script is exported did not similar to what is shown in the export dialog;
- improved work with file names in Windows;
- added checking for the ability to write into opening files. Now, if a user tries to open a read-only file, the program will warn about this and block all editing abilities so as not to mislead the user;
- the size of some dialogs of the program has been adjusted so now it can work fine on old netbooks;
- added undo and redo buttons to the research module documents editors;
- the "Versions" section has been improved, now it is possible to create new versions and view the text of the script of the saved versions right from it;
- improved export in the DOCX format in such a way that now the numbers of the scenes will also be located on the side of the text itself, which will allow better orientation in them;
- fixed the problem with the export, when formatting was simultaneously applied to the text of the script and its color was changed;
- fixed a problem with the import of documents, when some text was imported as a review mark with black background;
- fixed problem with calculating the percentage of rarely used blocks (for example, title);
- added spelling dictionary for the Catalan language.

And of course, we have added an indicator of the progress of our campaign, so you can follow our movement to the goal and participate in it, right from the app!

crowdfunding_progress_en.jpg

Download update

Interesting experiences now evoke the development of the current version - it is very pleasant to return to work on the program itself, but in addition, there is such a mixed feeling of sadness and joy. You know, this is how, when the next series of the Game of Thrones comes to an end, you are sad that it is over, because you have already walked the whole path with it and are between you so much, but you are happy that it was only the first series of the eighth season and ahead so much more will happen that it is simply impossible to sit still and you want to see the next part as soon as possible!

I really hope that the second season of our saga will be no less epic than the first. But to give him an explosive start, we really need your help! Join our campaign! Together we are able to create the best program for authors!

Hi dimkanovikov. Looking at the product description on your crowdfunding page, I see this:
For comic makers, a separate template will be provided for creating a comic book script, as well as the ability to add page layouts to cards, and you'll be able to create layouts yourself since the new version will be integrated graphics editor.
What I don't see anywhere is any indication that the software can create a storyboard from the script. Is that already included? If not, could this "comic book" template be used for this purpose?

Hello CelticRambler. If you mean one pic per one scene, then yes. It will be available for every kind of template in the new version.

OK, that sounds like it might be interesting - as long as the script can be exported both with and without pictures, i.e. in traditional form also. It seems a little bit strange to me that software perfectly designed for formatting a screenplay could be adapted to generating a "graphic novel" (as comic-books are often called these days) without becoming a much bigger, resource-hungry application. Hopefully we can see some examples soon.

Hi everybody!

I want to tell you a little about what is happening here and why there is such a lull.

After the crowdfunding campaign ended, I decided not to rush headlong into the new version, but to test my hypotheses about some of the things I planned to implement in it (for the most part, they related to the interface). I made a small demo application in which I implemented all my ideas, but it didn’t take off...

Everything was fine, except one thing - the speed of rendering on weak computers and mobile platforms. Because speed and smoothness of the new version work are extremely important for me, I had to look towards other technologies that can give the best result. And new technologies, as you understand, are new challenges :) but it's okay, now, I have already picked up a great framework that does a great job with building flexible and fast user interface. So I will step by step master it and start working on a new version.

script.png

What will happen to the old version - during this week I plan to publish a small update. Further updates of version 0.7.X will include only corrections of the most critical errors, improvements in the cloud service, as well as the addition of new translations of the app.

To be honest, it’s scary to leave a project in which a lot of time and experience was invested, but I’m not able to move forward both projects, so it’s best to honestly point out what future the current version is waiting for.

As for crowdfunding, the Boomstarter paid all the money (minus taxes and payment system commissions). I decided to print and send stickers by the first of September, so expect gifts in the fall.

Also, in the process of thinking about how to separate paid and free options and how to keep free and open-source part open, a new understanding emerged, how best to organize it in such a way as to motivate users to use advanced version, on the one hand, and on the other, to give users the opportunity to work on common projects from both versions. I will tell about it in the next post.

See you, friends.

P.S. And here is some screens of the rethought new version. What do you think about it?

cards.png

Hi.

I have just begun using "KIT scenarist" version 0.7.2.rc9 portable and i think is great, however i have an issue with the "Cards" feature. I think i just discover one situation when that feature fail:

If i have, let´s say 10 Cards" and i go to the "Script" section and i add a new scene there with "Scene Heading" between scenes 3 and 5 for example and then i come back to the "Cards" section, the Card 5 will disappear..

I hope this got solved in the future.

Thanks

Last edited:
I've started my screenplay with KIT Scenarist. I love it, it's an amazing program! But I just have a quick question. My cat stepped on my keyboard and somehow added another display panel to the screen. How can I toggle that off? I can't figure it out. I like to just have my script and scene listings again. Thank you for the help!

Last edited:
Salute, friends!

And here comes the next update KIT Scenarist 0.7.2 rc9d! And it has a decent amount of bug fixes in the cards module!

Thanks to everyone who helped to search for problems and described the ways to reproduce them!

Last edited:
Hi Dimka. Well done my friend. You are doing well. I hope you & your country (like all countries) keeps safe from this horrible coronavirus.
I listen with earnest about your next big release and I am looking forward to seeing and using it as soon as you can issue it - Great work!!
If I can have a vote on your logo please - DITCH THE CAT. Sorry. I love cats (and all animals) but there are so many cat things on the web today so my vote would be a quill or a keyboard or a stage spotlight or a cartoon of somebody typing.
Kindest Regards
Love ya!, Red Carpet

Hello Dimka. I started using KIT Scenarist and I must say it exceeds my expectations. One question though: is there a way to change the color of the watermark in the pdf export? In the current setting it is too dark gray, making the underlying text less legible. I would like to change this to a lighter color.

Hello Dimka. I started using KIT Scenarist and I must say it exceeds my expectations. One question though: is there a way to change the color of the watermark in the pdf export? In the current setting it is too dark gray, making the underlying text less legible. I would like to change this to a lighter color.
Hello, my friend. In KIT Scenarist no plans to add such a feature, but in the Story Architect we plan to add an option for customizing the watermark color.

I checked out Story Architect, it looks very promising. Will it replace KIT Scenarist? (since there is some overlap in feature set) Or will KIT Scenarist continue to be developed?

Back