• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Foley

Totally unneeded now. I have a CD from sony that will give me ALL the sound FX I'll ever need for $69.95

I can do ANYTHING

OK... but seriously. that is an art form totally unto itself that gives sooo much to a film. Completely left out by so many Indie folks, YES I bow to the gifted foley people.. truly masters along with several under-appreciated / understood crafts in filmmaking, ....storyboarding, makeup. sound design is not given it's due in most indie productions.... after all "Sound Is Half The Picture !!!!"

Last edited:
It's actually pretty awesome.

And I don't think it can simply be replaced by sound effects on a CD. The point of Foley is to give each sound effect a unique pattern and bring total realism to the effect. If you use a CD to do a movie which has several different characters, there is no better way than Foley to distinguish between nuances like footsteps.

Foley can be really fun!

...and would be even more enjoyable with a huge area like that with various floors and props. :)

In the past I would simply set my computer to loop the clip while I record from a nearby area w/ heavy quilts hanging about.

Thanks for sharing the link!

Also stumbled across this clip while looking through that site. Quite intriguing!
http://www.wimp.com/mcgurkeffect/

A great Foley walker/artist is much faster than weeding through a sound FX CD and manually cutting individual footsteps. Oh, just for fun - from a purely technical standpoint Foley is the live performance of human-created sounds while watching the visuals; if you manually cut the sounds in they become sound effects.

I'm nowhere near as good as the real pros, but on day two or three, when I really get into the groove, I start catching a large percentage on the second or third pass.

I'm starting work on another feature soon, and, if I remember, I'm going to wear a pedometer to see how far I walk when I do the Foley work.

I discovered that in my recent commercial effort.. the truth of this....

A great Foley walker/artist is much faster than weeding through a sound FX CD and manually cutting individual footsteps.

Id add even I, on my first try at Foley (but not my first take!) got better results much faster than hunting my HD and freesound.org. In many videos I want I see that big production still use libraries, but the libraries are MADE for this production.. so its much cooler..

Thanks

That is so funny. I was thumbing through Vimeo and came across the same video as AlcoveAudio. When I first clicked his link it said "video unavailable," so I posted my link not knowing it was the same one.

In any case, a fascinating guy.

That's about right, anywhere from one to six hours per linear minute for Foley.

My most recent feature project was 100 minutes. I put just a little shy of 600 hours into audio post, about 200 went into Foley.

Totally unneeded now. I have a CD from sony that will give me ALL the sound FX I'll ever need for $69.95

I can do ANYTHING

OK... but seriously. that is an art form totally unto itself that gives sooo much to a film. Completely left out by so many Indie folks, YES I bow to the gifted foley people.. truly masters along with several under-appreciated / understood crafts in filmmaking, ....storyboarding, makeup. sound design is not given it's due in most indie productions.... after all "Sound Is Half The Picture !!!!"

no offence bro..I just remember a Rowan Atkinson show where he joked about conservatives... "many of them are indian and pakistan for instance. and I like curry. But now we got their recipe. is there really any need them to stay?" :lol:

sorry for the off topic..

youtub link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBVlwK0ZD-A

Back