• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Fixing overexposed clips

I'm going through some surf footage I have and some of my shots I had the iris open too much and the clips look a little dull? hazy? Not that big of a deal but I was wondering what I could do in FCP to fix this?

Could we see a frame grab, often words can be misinterpreted leading us to not envision the problem in the same way you intend us to? That said, hazy implies that your blacks aren't at 0. Check your scopes - your lowest points should hit 0 on the histogram and the highest should hit 100 (assuming you have true black and true white somewhere in your image).

Here's what I came up with.. screen shots show adjustments I made.

I increased the contrast of the hazy clip with a curves adjustment, then pushed a little blue into the highlights and shadows, and a bit of yellow into the mids, also adjusted the exposure a bit, and crushed the shadows a hair..

hazyimgcckf4.jpg

Also tweaked the non hazy footage to better match the adjusted hazy footage..

nonhazyccrf4.jpg

And here's a side by side comparison:

matchedccua7.jpg

Not perfect, but should be usable, or with a bit more adjustment you can probably get them even a bit closer, this was just a quick proof of concept tweak.

I would load the video effect 3-way color corrector to the clip. Then adjust the 3 sliders Shadows, Mids, and highlights until you get the desired effect.

You want to lower your shadows and maybe your mids.

Well, you'll have to talk to knightly about that. FCP & I don't get along well.. ;)

I still contend that it's a mental block on your part :P I've found that all of the NLE applications on every platform are similar enough that it takes almost no effort to go from one to the other (except the linux stuff - the FOSS community really needs some good dedicated user interface designers).

That levels interface doesn't exist in FCP, although you can do levels adjustments using numbers, it's under the Effects > Image Control > Levels. It's strictly a numbers game in FCP though, sliders to tweak the settings rather than the visual curve.

The Color Corrector 3-way is generally the tool used in FCP for this sort of correction though.

I've been lowering the gamma and it's helping a lot. I'm not too worried, as this is just a small surf video for my friends and me. It has definitely been good practice though. I want to upload it somewhere to get feedback from you guys. I probably won't make any more changes after I've completed it but I would definitely like criticism so I could improve on my following projects...

I guess the best way to upload videos is to webspace? I have a domain name, however no hosting yet. Knightly, can I use Compressor to make this video internet-ready? I've never uploaded a video to the internet...

Last edited:
I'm finished editing my project however when I try to export > using quicktime conversion it will not finish because I have limited space on my hard drive. What a bummer. Got a TB external HD coming though.

That's quite odd... sad too, since youtube butchers the quality, something vimeo doesn't do.

Which is probably why Vimeo doesn't play well. I've said for a long time that Flash based players suck under quicktime. Youtube has a low enough quality that it doesn't kill my processor trying to play it.

I can play raw RED stuff on my desktop just fine at full FPS, but I can't play HD Vimeo at full FPS on it... that's a player problem. Generally when I see Vimeo links, I skip them. I can't use them to analyze anything of the content.

Got a hard drive today. I've also been working on hosting for my domain name. If anyone knows of any good tutorials for uploading video to the web please let me know. I have a feeling I'll be running into more problems when I venture into those waters...

I just use FTP on the command line of my computer to upload video to my website, then provide a link to it. The files are dumped out of FCP at full quality, then transcoded down to digestible sizes in compressor (start application, drop in source file, select type of output file and destination from the drop down menus next to the file in the list, hit go).

Then I just have a link to them that I can use ( http://www.yourdomainhere.com/Foldername/filename.mov ) wherever I want. On youtube, vimeo, myspace and facebook, they will have a FAQ (frequently asked questions) that should contain a how to section on uploading video... that's how I learned it, where better than the source.

Back