First

Hi,

I studied acting and film making to give myself something to do when I retired from the computer industry. Only my corporate career fell apart in my early fifties, and I didn't have the resources to make a film. When I had the money to make a film, I didn't have the time, and when I had the time, I didn't have the money. But by hook or crook, I finally got a first feature made and am looking to educate myself on festivals and distribution and perhaps collaborate with people on other interesting projects. I am good with spreadsheets, business models, and camera stuff. The audience will decide if I have any talent as a filmmaker.

Welcome. did you make any short films? or dive straight into a feature
did you write it?

Thanks for the greetings. I made my first short film in 2005 and kept making 4 or 5 a year until I thought I was ready, but nothing really prepares you for that first feature. We got 80% in the can when a Hurricane threw a wrench in the production schedule and we needed to raise more money to continue. Might tell that story here, but it took two years to get the rest into the can and then Covid hits, so like, what to do now? This seemed like a place to share and get advice.

We are still in post production, because I keep seeing things to improve. We also decided to make it Covid aware and BLM aware, and that necessitated adding some footage. The movie had a TWO YEARS LATER portion of the script, and as it turns out, we actually took two years to wrap the picture and to make the film more topical we changed a bit. We submitted a rough cut to some festivals but got no love there and want to make sure it is picture lock and audio clean before submitting to more. Plus, the festivals we submitted to got cancelled, so we might have to get smarter about things. It is a romantic, supernatural crime dramedy. Hubcap.

We are still in post production, because I keep seeing things to improve.

this is a great attitude.
submitting the rough cut as you've no doubt discovered was a huge mistake

scripts and movie ideas get one shot with people, if you send it out while its still doughy and in the oven they will never look again or appreciate it even when its perfectly crispy

Last edited:
We are still in post production, because I keep seeing things to improve. We also decided to make it Covid aware and BLM aware, and that necessitated adding some footage. The movie had a TWO YEARS LATER portion of the script, and as it turns out, we actually took two years to wrap the picture and to make the film more topical we changed a bit. We submitted a rough cut to some festivals but got no love there and want to make sure it is picture lock and audio clean before submitting to more. Plus, the festivals we submitted to got cancelled, so we might have to get smarter about things. It is a romantic, supernatural crime dramedy. Hubcap.
Do you have a trailer or select scene reel? Love to see what it looks like.

this is a great attitude.
submitting the rough cut as you've no doubt discovered was a huge mistake

scripts and movie ideas get one shot with people, if you send it out while its still doughy and in the oven they will never look again or appreciate it even when its perfectly crispy

If the scenes don't fit, then don't submit.

Horror comedy, nice!
This summer I'm short filming a pool that is haunted by a shark 😄

I dig it. Production value is awesome! looks professional to me so congratulations on your achievement!

Hi

The production value is pretty good, but the trailer doesn't do you any favors. I don't understand what the genre is nor the story or anything about any of the characters. These are all essential in a trailer. Comedies are a very hard sell outside of the US, so a really good trailer is essential in convincing any sales agent to take a look. Do you have another trailer?

Last edited:
Hi

The production value is pretty good, but the trailer doesn't do you any favors. I don't understand what the genre is nor the story or anything about any of the characters. These are all essential in a trailer. Comedies are a very hard sell outside of the US, so a really good trailer is essential in convincing any sales agent to take a look. Do you have another trailer?

woah you dont get the genre? it's obviously a horror comedy.
I liked the first 38 seconds of the trailer.

It's actually not horror at all, but the trailer masquerades as a horror film. It is a dark comedy, with a bit of romance. We got the first trailer out quickly, and will have one or two others. The little snippet of a scene at the top is more indicative of the movie than the montage.

It's actually not horror at all, but the trailer masquerades as a horror film. It is a dark comedy, with a bit of romance. We got the first trailer out quickly, and will have one or two others. The little snippet of a scene at the top is more indicative of the movie than the montage.
Thought as much. It plays like a thriller at the start, them the montage is unfocused. Needs to be really focused on how you want to sell it. If this is a dark comedy, show it. I'm sure you've got some great scenes. Love to see what the other 2 trailers are like when they're ready. Check out these trailers for RUBBER. This is a more gore-filled RUBBER trailer.

woah you dont get the genre? it's obviously a horror comedy.
I liked the first 38 seconds of the trailer.
From a distribution POV I'm just being very critical of the trailer to help them get the most out of it. It should immediately tell us the genre, which this doesn't. Looks like a thriller with comedy and maybe horror elements, maybe, but definitely not a horror. You'd have to recut this with different music to sell it as a horror in the marketplace. So looking forward to seeing what the other trailers will look like. Many people don't listen to (or don't listen clearly to) the audio on their cellphones when watching trailers. So for it to sell its genre it should also work without audio.

Last edited:
Well, I've seen trailers that tell the whole movie. We get pretty good feedback from the trailer, but we certainly don't tell you what you are going to see in the story.

Back