First Look: Panasonic AJ-HPX3000G

When (if) the Red is released, it will surely help the Indie's wallet. Bigger/better technology almost always drops the price of what we consider 'higher end' to 'medium end' in a matter of months.

The only reason I say 'if' is because I've been reading the hype about Red for going on 4 years now. I've always considered it vaporware. I know there's a few people on IndeiTalk who has already played with the prototypes and if I remember correctly, someone already has a preorder for one.

But it's been 4 years... Besides, it'll be out of the hands of the indies for many years when (if) it's finally released.

-----

This reminds me of the small kid on the bicycle in Better Off Dead always asking for "Two dollars!"

When (if) the Red is released, it will surely help the Indie's wallet. Bigger/better technology almost always drops the price of what we consider 'higher end' to 'medium end' in a matter of months.

The only reason I say 'if' is because I've been reading the hype about Red for going on 4 years now. I've always considered it vaporware. I know there's a few people on IndeiTalk who has already played with the prototypes and if I remember correctly, someone already has a preorder for one.

But it's been 4 years... Besides, it'll be out of the hands of the indies for many years when (if) it's finally released.

-----

This reminds me of the small kid on the bicycle in Better Off Dead always asking for "Two dollars!"

I don't plan to buy one. When I go pro, I'll rent my equipment (all but the editing and storage equipment and maybe lighting). Of course, I'm easily 3+ years from even thinking about a professional short or feature length motion picture. My entire world right now is digital, so I'm most comfortable with the digital realm. I love the look of film, but if I can get the film look without the film then that's the route I will most likely take.

I already own a mac with final cut...so I priced out a minimum rig for me...the RED came in at about 35k for all the software and hardware upgrades plus the camera, nikkor lens adaptor, hard drive, battery, lcd and mounting. At the point when I'm looking to upgrade to HD, this may be the camera I look at seriously. The price is comparatively low for the quality boost you get. DoF control, I'd shoot in 2K, so my hardware requirements wouldn't be as steep as the RED could utilize. I'm excited about the prospects of this camera. I don't think the release is an "if"...the setbacks they've suffered are industry standard setbacks. Parts supplier problems, software issues...how long ago was vista "supposed" to come out? The difference is that they've been out in the public eye for the whole process, including the blemishes. Which I appreciate...if only government officials would be as open and honest :P

Any camera over $12,000 and I'm a renter - let the client pay for it. No way could I justify owning and maintaining a $35,000, $50,000 plus camera.

Interesting that the Panasonic site doesn't even mention the lens. I wonder what kind the stock lens is and what mount is....

Back