First feature, a little worried about money

Hey guys,

I am making my first feature film. All things are ok but the money. I have the perfect volunteer crew, good screenplay, even a teaser.

I have done press releases, facebook and twitter promotion, have a website, but 2 months since I started the journey and the only financial supporter is me with far from good money to make the $16,000 "ideal" budget movie (The worst scenario is a $7,000 for food and equip rental, very far from ideal, but the movie get made).

I have offered levels of donations with different rewards that I think are good, but doesn't seem to be attractive.

Any advice for this filmmaker?

My film is "Dores Comuns" ("Joint Pains"), http://www.dorescomuns.com.br

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Yep - a 12 day shoot is certainly doable - the key (as always) is in the planning. We're doing something similar on our feature but it's broken up over 18 days:

3 days on
2 off
3 on
2 off
4 on
2 off
2 on

Plus 3 days for recording V/O

The off days will be used for set modifications/redressing and rehearsals - it's gonna be one helluva ride.

If I recall correctly, Danny Draven's 'Ghost Month' was shot in 10 days (not a great film but proof that it can be done if properly planned...)

I can see how that type of schedule could work. But you're doing more than planning. Obviously, I can't speak for everyone, but I was under the impression that the bulk of rehearsing typically happens right before shooting. That's just an impression I got -- I have no idea if that's actually typical for most productions. That's how I did it, anyway, and I liked that process.

I was thinking more along the lines of a continuous 12-day shoot. If your actors don't come off-book, I just don't see how that's possible, unless you're pulling 18-hour days, which I wouldn't really expect of an all-volunteer cast and crew.

mnestevao, I'd like to echo at least directorik's sentiment. Yeah, I've got my ideas for how I think you'll have better success if you do it differently, but I'm not gonna say you shouldn't do it your way, and of course I wish you the best (as does everyone else here). And, as directorik mentioned, yes, it is incredibly frustrating when a whole ton of people are telling you you're making mistakes -- I know this feeling too well, as it happened to me, in a different thread not too long ago. And you know what? I did it my way (cue Sinatra). Only way to know if your method works is to do it.

Cheers!

We're shooting four 20-30 minute films, each with a different cast - hence the split in the rehearsals - when it's all assembled it'll make a 110 minute feature :)

When I can I always rehearse without the crew. A
couple of days of rehearsal with just me, the first,
the DP and the cast is really helpful. Actors feel free
to explore without the time factor over their heads
and the crew setting up equipment. Most of the time
I have access to my locations so we rehearse there,
getting a feel of the space and what these people would
really do there.

Even people working for free are usually willing to to
a few rehearsal days. At least that's true in my experience.
When I'm paying but can't afford to pay for rehearsal days
actors are usually willing to donate their time for a couple
of days.

My experience on indie features is that we usually end up with about 2 to 3 minutes of screen time per 14 hr day of shooting. That's the average. On one shoot we spent 2 days doing a 30 second fight sequence. So, yea, 12 days for a feature is very optimistic especially given a volunteer crew. I have seen one done in 20 days days but that was with a highly experienced DP and crew.

I gotta get back to my first question -- you're going to shoot a feature in 12 days? I think this goal is way over-ambitious, and you should budget considerably more time (unless, by "feature", you mean 45 minutes). Will somebody please back me up on this?

P.S. On a sidenote, I love a good churrascaria! :)

Another option is to hire a DP that has a camera. It could give you a higher quality film. He may even know some people you could use for crew and lighting. Then get you lights and other equipment cheaper than your rental rates. Just an idea. I know networking is a great idea for making these low budget films. With a more experienced crew I am sure the quality film would be better.

Otherwise I think buying some of the equipment may be a better idea than renting if it is close to the same price to buy versus rent. The shoot may take longer than you think too. Then it would be even more beneficial to buy versus rent.

Try to get as much as you can for free. Like get some local film people you know to lend you some equipment for the shoot. That is where the networking pays off. They may even donate time helping you make the movie in what ever skill they have. Just remember to return the favors later.

Last edited:
My experience on indie features is that we usually end up with about 2 to 3 minutes of screen time per 14 hr day of shooting. That's the average. On one shoot we spent 2 days doing a 30 second fight sequence. So, yea, 12 days for a feature is very optimistic especially given a volunteer crew. I have seen one done in 20 days days but that was with a highly experienced DP and crew.

I shot mine in 19 days (10 hour days, 105pg script), but it was total run-and-gun, we shot the entire thing 48HFP style, and I pretty much tossed any real cinematography out the window (and caught a lot of criticism for that). I was paying my actors (and single crew member) a dirt-poor salary, as was, and besides, I needed to get back to my normal day-job.

I could see a 12-day shoot work, if a lot of rehearsing has been done in advance, and each actor is pretty much off-book, and everything takes place in just one or two locations. As Dov Simen's would say, make your first feature a stage-play.

Okay, I know you're getting dumped on, and more criticism is the last thing that you want to hear. However, as I and many others here on IndieTalk are fond of pointing out, the entertainment industry can be brutal. There are tens of thousands who want to direct, maybe one in a thousand has real talent and maybe one of that thousand will ever be successful to any degree whatsoever. Here you will get honest, and, admittedly, sometimes contrary advice; but it is meant with the best of intentions - to help you improve your skills and your product.

The teaser did nothing for me. I found nothing to interest me to either participate, invest or even see the film.

The story premise is interesting, but there are thousands of interesting ideas for films. It is the execution that will attract audiences. Your current mission, however, is to attract financial support. That means selling yourself and your project; in other words - MARKETING. No matter how talented you are, how passionate you are or how much you consider yourself an artist, those who invest in a project are ultimately interested on ROI (Return On Investment). In order to attract financial backers you need to impress them with your experience and have a business plan. (BTW, you haven't budgeted anything for post - editing, CGI, color correction, scoring, audio post; not even a budget for the terrabytes of disk space you will certainly need. Nor have you included an "after the film is made" marketing strategy.)

You admittedly have little experience. You may very well be the next Ford, Hitchcock, Speilberg or Tarrantino, but the investors need something concrete. It's in the nature of investing in a start-up business; they need at least some assurances that their money will not be flushed down the toilet. So the teaser will have to look like something with which they are familiar. Let's face it, they don't give a damn about art, they want to make a profit. And another thought, how many points are you willing to give to the investors? Because to the investors it's all about business and making money. And that is what you have to instill in them, the hope that they will make money on the project.

So to sum up... This is a marketing campaign to attract investors. Touting your friends, the volunteer crew, etc. is not a way to inspire confidence. You need a great log line, you need to infect them with your enthusiasm, you need to infect them with your professionalism and the professionalism of your cast and crew, and, by means of your business plan, they need some assurances that there is at least a possibility of at least making back their investment if not a profit.
this right here. getting potential investors to commit to your project is HARD. Give them a reason to want to invest in your project. Tell them what they will get back. Also, listen to Dov S-S simens and ask some dentists for money. Along with that, rent "American Movie". If they man make a movie in a short time, so can you.

Back