Firefly?

IMO he released Firefly too soon after Buffy. I think too many people were expecting something buffy-ish, this type of Sci-fi was COMPLETELY a different demographic from the Buffy fans, and that IMO is why it tanked-had nothing to do with the quality of the show (which I thought was excellent)-it basically required a different fanbase.

I honestly if had gone to do other things, waited a good 7-10 years AFTER Buffy finished, then released it to a more general audience it would have done better.

Kind of reminds of Harsh Realm (does ANYONE remember that blink and it was gone show)-about a soldier who was sent into a "virtual reality" as part of a military mission? I loved the concept of it, but it was so "out there" compared to what was on TV, it just floundered and disappeared.

AND TOTALLY OT-Farscape deserved a LOT more than 4.5 seasons! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIf24Yvrzuo&feature=related
You really think this one is better? Check out the prescored boulder ready to split.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIf24Yvrzuo

It does have 3-4 times as many cuts in it, and even then this one is incredibly dates in terms of fight choreography, stuntwork, and most especially editorially.

My point is that Star Trek the Original Series is incredibly dates in terms of the filmmaking style. It had it's place and that is firmly in the past. Look at J.J. Abrams reboot in 2009. That was modern editing and choreography. In a lot of ways, STAR TREK (2009) borrowed from FIREFLY.

Pop Culture is cyclical.

Yay Joss Whedon :)

I've only seen bits and pieces of Buffy, Firefly and Dollhouse. I watched Serenity with a huge Firefly fan who spent the whole movie explaining the back story.

I actually own Dr Horrible's Sing A Long Blog, strangely enough. I love it.

I'm gonna make my boyfriend sit down and watch through Firefly very soon (right now we're on a Big Bang Theory kick). I can't wait. I've been wanting to see his work properly for so long and just haven't gotten around to it.

Yay :D

Kind of reminds of Harsh Realm (does ANYONE remember that blink and it was gone show)-about a soldier who was sent into a "virtual reality" as part of a military mission? I loved the concept of it, but it was so "out there" compared to what was on TV, it just floundered and disappeared.

I totally remember Harsh Realm. I almost bought the DVD set just the other day when I ran across it in a store. Decided on music instead, since I think I can netflix HR if I really wanted to watch it.

Terry O'Quinn is one of my favorite "under-rated" actors. He's the only reason I bothered to give Lost a try in the first place. :lol:

Chris Carter had the same problem with Millennium though. (referencing your point about Firefly) Too many people expected it to be another x-Files, but it was much darker and more personal. It also lacked "monster of the week" episodes that didn't drive the series plotline forward, which meant people had to watch it more avidly in order to not miss where it was going.

I loved Firefly - but didn't realize that until years later after I watched it with some friends who were really into it. I did like Serenity; Chiwetel Ejiofor is nothing short of phenomenal in his role. My only real complaint with the film is the direction they decided to go with River. Needed more this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA

And less this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ykH3EA_Zgk

I hope that doesn't count as a spoiler. ;) I had some other minor complaints, but whatever. I almost always do, lol.

Edit: I just remembered my actual number one complaint with Serenity ... :D

What ever happened to "Two by Two ... Hands of Blue." Those guys were downright scary, and hinted at the type of power I expected River to wield later.

Last edited:
I keep getting a "new post" message in this thread. ??? Thought I would post to see if it helps.

Also, I like TOS and the movies of TOS cast because it was always about improving humanity. What are our inherent flaws and what can we do to guard against them, and ultimately improve them. As posted earlier, the episodes were based on phylisophical(ms) principles not glamor and "wow" factor. The show itself was a vessel for the ideas the creators wished to portray, and make a buck, of course. But the longevity of the phenomena that is Star Trek, is a testament to the yearning of the "everyman" for a, more or less, utopian society.

Okay I'll shut up.:)

I keep getting a "new post" message in this thread. ??? Thought I would post to see if it helps.

Also, I like TOS and the movies of TOS cast because it was always about improving humanity. What are our inherent flaws and what can we do to guard against them, and ultimately improve them. As posted earlier, the episodes were based on phylisophical(ms) principles not glamor and "wow" factor. The show itself was a vessel for the ideas the creators wished to portray, and make a buck, of course. But the longevity of the phenomena that is Star Trek, is a testament to the yearning of the "everyman" for a, more or less, utopian society.

Okay I'll shut up.:)

Well said.

My familiarity with TOS is really only through the movies. I've caught a couple episodes on TV over the past year or so and was really surprised that all the things I love about Next Gen were already there in the original series. The interesting plots and moral dilemmas or great Holmesian mysteries. But I still couldn't find myself wanting to watch a bunch more, because it was filmed so poorly and some of the acting was really over-the-top.

For me, Next Gen will always be where it's at. It's got the best of both worlds (pardon the pun, for those uber treksters out there). It's got that great signature star trek writing with the promise of a better, even utopian future for humanity, but it's got the more modern filming style, like sonny was saying. Well, after the first two seasons at least. :P

Edit: I just remembered my actual number one complaint with Serenity ... :D

What ever happened to "Two by Two ... Hands of Blue." Those guys were downright scary, and hinted at the type of power I expected River to wield later.

That was covered in "Those Left Behind", a comic book mini-series that was released before the movie. Not everyone, of course, reads comics, so the story was lost, but I do appreciate Joss Whedon's attitude that comics should count for the canonical story, rather than just being fan fiction. Also it was written by him and Brett Matthews, who wrote an episode for Firefly if I recall.

My problem with Serenity is that they were squeezing several seasons' worth of plotlines into a single movie. The
hands of blue had to be dropped, because they needed the Operative as shorthand for Book's backstory (which also was eventually told in comic book form).

Oh, and Harsh Realm is my absolute favorite Chris Carter series! Some of the best cyberpunk tv ever made! Farscape is fantastic (and the Peacekeeper Wars does suffer a bit from Serenity's problem of hey, we've got too much plot for a mini-series!), but I think it had a good run and was treated pretty well by the network. Four seasons PLUS a mini-series to wrap up the plot is certainly better than half a season! As an aside, I finally started picking up some of the Farscape comics that continue the story after the series. They're very well done; the writing is just as good and you can do things that you'd never have the budget for on TV (planet full of Hynerians!) It uses the medium really well. Need to catch up on the rest of them!

That was covered in "Those Left Behind", a comic book mini-series that was released before the movie. Not everyone, of course, reads comics, so the story was lost, but I do appreciate Joss Whedon's attitude that comics should count for the canonical story, rather than just being fan fiction. Also it was written by him and Brett Matthews, who wrote an episode for Firefly if I recall.

Interesting, never knew there was a comic that occurs in between the two. I definitely recognized the difficulty in trying to tell the rest of the story in just the one film, but I wonder if I had read the comic prior to seeing the movie if I would have read the movie differently.

Back