• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Finding Johnny- Short Film

Hey guys! I just wanted to share my latest short film, FINDING JOHNNY. It was made for a short film competition in which I took first place.

So without further ado, I present to you, FINDING JOHNNY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNekiKj6Hcw

Thanks and I'd really appreciate some feedback. :)

Find out more info about the contest here (they're holding more of these contests with great filmmaking prizes): https://www.facebook.com/TheResearchPage

Last edited:
It was good! Not sure why no one else has commented.

I liked the framing and the audio, and definitely thought it was a touching short. Good job!

I liked the subject, story was good, visually I thought it could be better as not much goes on, they'd young guy didn't act too well, his emotions were not connected with his character which was disappointing as the old man did really good, it was almost believable from him had it not been let down by the young actor.

But overall it was a good short, had it been any longer I wouldn't have liked it too much but it's timing was good.

Nice work!

The cinematography and grading is great. The film is paced and edited very nicely as well. The younger guy's acting was pretty bad though, and it seemed even worse when the older man entered the film. The old man did a fantastic job. Very emotional and sad.

What was the reasoning behind choosing a handheld opening shot ?

I was just complimenting the mood of the scene. Dylan doesn't know where Mr. Fisher is and is very much worried about him. I just wanted to convey the suspenseful/tense nature of the scene and the nervous feeling Dylan was experiencing at the moment.

Last edited:
It's good, but I always find criticism more useful.

Audio wasn't great - bit hissy, and it was obvious where one audio track ended and another started.
Grading/Color Correction was mostly good, though there a few places it looked a bit off (such as at around 2.18, where the shadows under Dylan's chin are too dark).
The music made me cringe. Too heavy handed saying 'THIS IS HOW YOU SHOULD FEEL'. The shot of Johnny on the bike is a similar deal (color grading + slowmo there as well) and too cliched.

The dialogue was obvious and painful in places - liked the final line, though.

It's good, but I always find criticism more useful.

Audio wasn't great - bit hissy, and it was obvious where one audio track ended and another started.
Grading/Color Correction was mostly good, though there a few places it looked a bit off (such as at around 2.18, where the shadows under Dylan's chin are too dark).
The music made me cringe. Too heavy handed saying 'THIS IS HOW YOU SHOULD FEEL'. The shot of Johnny on the bike is a similar deal (color grading + slowmo there as well) and too cliched.

The dialogue was obvious and painful in places - liked the final line, though.

Thank you for the honest criticism man!

so this crazy old man doesn't know his son died two years ago.. but somehow he knows dylan and reaches out to him with a cell phone. does that seem strange to anyone else?

Hey guys! I just wanted to share my latest short film, FINDING JOHNNY. It was made for a short film competition in which I took first place.

So without further ado, I present to you, FINDING JOHNNY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNekiKj6Hcw

Thanks and I'd really appreciate some feedback. :)

Find out more info about the contest here (they're holding more of these contests with great filmmaking prizes): https://www.facebook.com/TheResearchPage

Over all a really good short film, the concept is a good character story. There were two things that stood out to me as far as needing improvement, of course this is just my opinion.

1: When the old man is going off about needing to find Johnny and up to the point where Dylan walks away, that was all done in one shot. If it had been broken down into smaller shots, going in tight on the old man as he got more worked up...it would have added to the drama of the moment.

2: The second was the old man's reaction when he realized Johnny was dead. He just said "Oh" like he had just realized he left the tv on in the other room lol! That would have been a good moment for him to get really sad and maybe even cry a little...again adding to the drama and weight of the moment.

Other than that...great job! Can't wait to see the next one.

so this crazy old man doesn't know his son died two years ago.. but somehow he knows dylan and reaches out to him with a cell phone. does that seem strange to anyone else?

Well even though he has memory problems, it doesn't necessarily mean that he has forgotten about EVERYTHING. At least that was the case with most the people I know who's in the same boat as Mr. Fisher.

Back