Finding a Clapboard?

Hi,
I really need to find a clapboard for a film shoot coming up, (Nothing fancy, dry erase is fine), just so I can hear the clap when I sinc up audio. Does anyone know where I could maybe find one locally, so I don't have to order it online? If I order it online I'll probably have to rush ship it, so that's my back up plan. Anyone know any places that sell them?

Thanks!

I thought I'd respond letting everyone know what I ended up doing with this.

I decided I was a sucker for cool looks, I bought an ikan dry erase clapboard for about 35 bucks on Amazon. While pricey, it's VERY nice, nice wood finish and a magnetic inside to hold the clap together while traveling. Pretty happy with the purchase

I thought I'd respond letting everyone know what I ended up doing with this.

I decided I was a sucker for cool looks, I bought an ikan dry erase clapboard for about 35 bucks on Amazon. While pricey, it's VERY nice, nice wood finish and a magnetic inside to hold the clap together while traveling. Pretty happy with the purchase

It's a stretch to call ANYTHING that is a useful filmmaking tool expensive at $35. (As I try to decide if I can "get by" for a while with a $200 set of rails, a $300 follow focus, and a $400 monitor or if I should go ahead and get better gear now).

It's a stretch to call ANYTHING that is a useful filmmaking tool expensive at $35. (As I try to decide if I can "get by" for a while with a $200 set of rails, a $300 follow focus, and a $400 monitor or if I should go ahead and get better gear now).

I believe that film gear is cheaper if-
1. You can DIY
or
2. Buy it at the right place. I got my camera mounted onto a large handle for shooting that mounts the shotgun mic above it, and I got my uv filter, step up rings, and lens hood all for about 50 bucks.

(the grip is the opteka x-grip), got it for 30 bucks and it's amazing. It's extremely stable and comfortable to hold, and it looks professional.

anyway happy with all my filming purchases this week.. spent about 700 dollars this month on assorted film stuff, excited to put it to use next weekend.

I've come to learn that DIY usually isn't that much cheaper, if at all, in the long run.

DIY takes time to research, build, test and re-build in some cases. What do you make per hour? Add your time + materials and it usually costs more.

It still usually doesn't work as good as something machined.

Usually doesn't last as long.

This isn't always true of course, and I understand you can't sell all your time, and that DIY is fun sometimes haha. I've definitely become more of a save then purchase instead of spending half the $$ but four times the time guy.

I've come to learn that DIY usually isn't that much cheaper, if at all, in the long run.

DIY takes time to research, build, test and re-build in some cases. What do you make per hour? Add your time + materials and it usually costs more.

This isn't always true of course, and I understand you can't sell all your time, and that DIY is fun sometimes haha. I've definitely become more of a save then purchase instead of spending half the $$ but four times the time guy.

Yep, on a certain level my time is more valuable to me than my money.

If I can build something for $20 in 6 hours, or buy it for $100 in 15 minutes,. most of the time I'll buy it. If I do a DIY it's usually for the fun of it.

I made a camera dolly for about 40 bucks. I took some PVC and 2 by 4's constructed a track, sliced it into 3 parts and made little hinges so I could fold it into my car, then I took the wheels off an old desk chair, replaced it with different wheels that run on the track, and a PVC pole going up from the bottom of the chair, with an old tripod piece on the top for the camera.
You sit in the chair and just push yourself along.... considering most professional rigs will cost about 700 dollars for a 10 foot track like that, I got the same effect and saved 660 dollars.

But yeah it took me a weekend to really get it down, and to find the right wheels for the chair where it rolled on the track nicely.

Back