Final Cut Pro 10

I ended up with a free ticket to the super meet and Apple is right now announcing Final Cut 10.

This is the best NLE software I've ever seen, and I'm a massive Adobe fan. Loom it up, too many features to type right now. Magnetic timeline might be the best thing ever!

Upgrading as soon as it's released for sure!

That is the full edition. They decided to nix educational and upgrade prices and release it all the same price. Think it's just Funal Cut though. They didn't mention anything about the rest of the suite. Buy online through the Mac App store.

here's another... Looks like their killing off Studio and rolling soundtrack and color into the main FCP app... Some of the features sounds like motion is being rolled in as well.

One of the biggest reasons for the price drop is that there will be no more physical copies of the program, it's being released through the App Store which does away with all of the really expensive physical distribution.

Although I won't be able to get this upgrade as it requires hardware that is far past the scope of my current working environment (read: anything from the past 2-5 years), This upgrade seems to deal with all of the issues I've ever heard brought up about Final Cut by users and apple's competitors. It also seems to address everything I've found cumbersome and annoying about my current (read: old) version as well... many were addressed in previous versions, but this hits all of the workflow ones that I was annoyed with - and if it's bringing all of the separate apps into one app, then you don't have to have separate environments to move between to work on a project, and all the possible resolution/compression issues disappear in one fell swoop!

So, they are bringing in Soundtrack Pro and Color inside FCP? If so, I welcome that, providing they still support all the filters and precise editing tools.

The background rendering and 64-bit support alone makes this tempting.

Found this... The most labor intensive portion of editing for me is organizing and naming clips to make sense, easily draws out the capture of footage process (before even touching the footage with a single edit) to 4x longer than the actual length of the footage; looks like they're doing away with "tracks" as well for video and audio!

http://vimeo.com/22345296

OOH! and if you've looked at the demos of the face recognition and shot size recognition in iMovie, you'll love the fact that you'll be able to search your clips for "Fred" and "Mid Shot" and all of the mids of fred will appear.. no more searching for that one clip that you vaguely remember from the import in... now which clip was that? Take 23?

Wow, I never knew their were warring parties in the NLE world. This article does a comparison of features on NLE's and when they were introduced and what is truly new in FCPX. The comments are classic.

For what it's worth, I do a lot of multi-cam shoots, so the color matching between clips in FCPX is a major time saver if it works.

As far as I can tell, Flick, compressor is still stand alone.

I was wrong, no facial rec :( iPhoto has it, I was hoping it'd be pulled in (of course, FCPX is still beta and primarily a first gen product for them).

Last edited:
seriously thinking about getting this, was just about to buy fcp7 but a buddy of mine told me to hold off for a bit because a new fcp was coming out soon, I have a general question, Will fcp x have the all programs like fcp studio 7?? in class right now and have not had a chance to check out all details. if I were to get this would i have to buy compressor and soundtrack pro etc??

Last edited:
Back