Filming scenes with Voice Overs

HI Guys

I am currently getting ready to shoot a short with quite a lot of voice overs.

They occur during quite fast paced action and need to keep in time with the main characters actions.

As far as filming it is concerned, should I get someone to read out the Voice Over off camera and re dub it in post so the actor can get his timings right?
OR
Should I get the actor too wait for 'so and so' about how long I think the voice over will be then he can sorta hear it in in his head and move on to the next action and I can voice the voice over in post.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Matt

One of the great things about making a movie is trying out
different options. Video tape or media is cheap, you can do
multiple takes and it doesn’t cost you much.

You could shoot it a few times with someone reading the VO off
camera and then you can try a few with just rehearsal and timing.

A contrary opinion...

No matter where/how the VO is used you must account for the timings in advance, especially if the VO is completely integral to the scene and is as fast-paced as you've indicated.

You may want to check out the DVD extras and commentaries from "Forrest Gump", in which Forrest both comments upon the action and answers himself. Almost all of the VO was recorded on the park bench (which was the first scene shot) and played back when shooting subsequent scenes. A lot of the original park bench performance was used in the film, some re-done and some new VO was added.

VO works differently in every film; some films can have the VO over B-roll and establishing shots, but the material has to be there to make the VO work correctly. My objection to VO is when it is crammed in after shooting has wraped in an attempt to patch up plot holes.

Back