Filming at Bank?

Now i dont plan on doing this any time soon ( just got my cam an all)
but how exactly would one arrange to film at a bank?

calling this ambitious is probably an understatement but i was just wondering how possible is it. ( Has anybody here done this?)

I mean you'd call the bank or whatever and ask permission right? Or would you need a permit? would there be like cops checking you out the whole time or whatever?

This topic has thrown even the mighty google ( yes thats a challenge info seekers) and without any record of small productions ( to my knowledge) pulling it off im a little doubtful such a production could ... so can it?

A good place to start would be to go to the banks that are potential locations and just ask what they would require. You should probably speak with the bank manager or the head of bank security.

I had a friend that just wanted a photo of a bank several years back. By the time he got out of the car and set up to take some still photos, the police were on thier way and he didn't get back to the car before they arrived. The photo was for a business presentation and he was not allowed to keep it. He had to surrender his film (yea, it was that long ago).

So, first, definitely contact the bank ahead of time.

Second, given how notoriously open minded the banks are, I'd plan on rigging a set if I were you. Not what you wanted to hear, I know. Sorry.

calling this ambitious is probably an understatement but i was just wondering how possible is it. ( Has anybody here done this?)
I have. Shot for six hours late at night. We had one of the
bank managers present and their security. We were limited
in where who could shoot and what we could shoot.
I mean you'd call the bank or whatever and ask permission right?
Right.
Or would you need a permit?
Maybe.
would there be like cops checking you out the whole time or whatever?
Maybe.
im a little doubtful such a production could ... so can it?
It can be done.

Id say go for a small local Indie bank. Mebbe offer to shoot them a commercial in exchange, even if only for Youtube or place it on their site...might make it seem more attractive

I guess you've got to ask 'what do I need from the bank?'

For me (cinematically speaking) a bank is a few tellers behind some plexiglass, a rope cordon and a line of people. Maybe some pot plants, leaflets and those unstealable pens.

Is it worth going through all the hassle and aggro of trying to allow a bank to let you film on their premises? I'm not sure. You could put together a mock bank in a warehouse or empty room for next to nothing. Fill that with extras and film it carefully and people will believe it's a bank.

Add to that the fact that you can now do whatever you like with the bank and I think it's the best option. Even if you get them to agree to let you shoot at their bank, then you won't be able to bring fake guns or knives or whatever people have in mind for bank scenes in movies...

Sorry if that was unhelpful.

Steal the exteriors by shooting from the bed of a truck parked on the road. (I have no comment on the legality of this)

Find something that looks like a bank.. depending on the kinda bank your talking about and what you need it for, many locations might work.. A college admissions\information window comes to mind, colleges are likely more open to "student film" projects, you might need an "associate producer" who is a student.. any large open lobby space.. etc..

Last edited:
Back