Filming at a train station?

I live in Los Angeles, and my script requires that we shoot a scene at a train station. Anyone have any ideas of how I can go about doing this? Probably the Los Angeles Union Station would be where I would wanna film, but it would be very difficult to film while there are people there, and probably illegal too. Do train stations ever close, or are they open 24/7? Any ideas?

Union Station has an area specifically set aside for filming.

But I suspect you are asking about filming there for free, am I right?

Didn't Black Swan steal shots in a train station? I may be wrong, haven't actually seen it but I think I remember reading that.

Years ago I was directing a photoshoot near the metro station here and we were hassled a bit by security. Not for permits or anything but for "homeland security" haha. They said no pictures of the trains or wheels, I guess to prevent terrorists from scouting? We were real nice about it and in turn they were nice and let us continue as long as we angled away from the trains.

If you end up not bring able to secure a station for your scene for the price you want, could it be tweaked to be outside the station with signs clearly letting people know where they are? Or does it have to be a train, could it be at a bus stop instead?

Just thinking out loud. When doing anything for next to nothing, the rule is to be flexible.

When you find a solution, let us know how and where and how much!

I would just do guerilla shooting for the scenes, but my cast and crew is way too large for that. And the scene does require it to be on the actual platform where people load onto the trains. I was thinking about a bus stop instead, but I figured it would be too difficult to fit a cast and crew of about 10-15 people on a sidewalk and film right next to a busy street. Not to mention it would make the audio very difficult.

Back