FILM POLL – Should “Machete” Qualify For Texas Film Incentive Funds?

machete-poster.jpg

Even if you live outside of Texas, at this point I am sure you are well aware of the “controversy” surrounding Robert Rodriguez’s film “Machete” and the debate over whether or not the film will receive Texas film incentive funds for shooting in Austin, Texas. I know where I come down on the issue but was wondering where you.

Take a minute to participate in our poll at the link below:

CLICK HERE TO VOTE

Even if you live outside of Texas, at this point I am sure you are well aware of the “controversy” surrounding Robert Rodriguez’s film “Machete” and the debate over whether or not the film will receive Texas film incentive funds for shooting in Austin, Texas.

There's a lot of people who don't know, or understand it. We had a short discussion about it earlier (linked here), but even then most people seemed to miss the point that the decision for incentive-funding in Texas is based on the final cut of the film - unlike most other states where you get a yay/nay based on the script's approval.

There is nothing wrong with a state selectively approving (or denying) incentives for film projects as they see fit. However, it's pretty stupid to have the production spend all their money in your state first, before telling them whether they'd qualify. If the prodco had known that they wouldn't get incentives, they'd have (wisely) picked another state where they could get a clear yes (or no) before actually spending the bucks.

On the other hand... it's lolTexaslol. :lol:

I wouldn't recommend it for filming. I'm sold on AZ, though.

Btw, I voted "no" on your poll - not 'cos of the film's content, but 'cos the prodco went ahead and gambled that they would get reimbursed after the fact... and were wrong. No sympathy for idiots who take a risk, and then complain when it doesn't work out.

Next time, pick a state that lets you know in advance.

Seeing it on Saturday, btw. Looks awesomely ridiculous. :cool:

Next time, pick a state that lets you know in advance.

This.
This subject has been brought up a few times, not just regarding Machete specifically.

I don't like the way Wal-Mart does business. They have a right to do business in any legal manner they choose. I have a right to disagree with their policy and show said disagreement by taking my business elsewhere. Simple concept, same applies here.

If a state doesn't want to give you incentives based on content, then take your money and film elsewhere. If they won't give you a guarantee in advance of said incentives, take your money and film elsewhere.

Places/Organizations/Governments that take issue with film production because of content have a history of loosing production business. Sonoma County didn't see jack or shit for production for many years after SR School Board kicked the Scream crew out of the High School and let slip that content was the reason.

Have fun with that, Texas.

(I probably used that same example in another thread around here somewhere)

The more interesting thing to me is, the recurring character and casting of this character in Rodriguez's movies.. .. I thought it was just spy kids, played by Danny Trejo as "uncle Machete" but IMDB turned up a bunch of Rodriguez movies where Danny plays a character named Machete.. cool being loyal to your friends.. type casting to the extreme.. lol

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0006776/

Back