Film Futures Market Approved

Wow.

"word of mouth" is an aspect that can be considered in determination of buying? How can you put a number or quality on that?

No wonder studios don't like this-movies like Avatar don't come along every year. And you can have the greatest cast, script, story, ect-but if film goers don't like your film, they won't go see it-there's too many variables IMO.

I'm in shock that this passed. It's an atrocity. Look at the big financial meltdown and these morons want to literally make gambling and betting on box office potential a legal thing. Morally reprehensible and unethical to approve this.

They probably used the argument "Well, why not speculate on how movies do? No different then guessing corn prices"

No, you can judge supply, demand, crop take, weather, all sorts of things. What do you judge for movies?

I don't put "cast/crew/script" on the same level-and "word of mouth"? There are fewer fickle fans than film fans-I should know I am one!

Film going in effectively Chaos theory in action IMO.:lol:

Wouldn't something like "Gigli" or "Ishtar" (big stars, big budgets, box office gold, right?) be speculated highly? This is terrible. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

This is one hell of a bad idea!!!
That being said. This will be more fun to watch then anything that has come out of the major
studios in the last ten years.

Terry

Wow. I don't totally understand what this means (maybe I'm missing something?)

This is proof that there actually is a Les Grossman in the world:

But, guys, I already placed my bet on Avatar 2.

:lol:

Last edited:
Well, this kind of stuff is over my head. Anyways, the powers that be allowed speculators to help bring the world economy to its knees with oil. Why shouldn't it allow them to muck around with the movie industry? But as they say, showbiz is a business. It's too difficult for me to wrap my brain around this, as it is, so maybe those of you who are made of brighter stuff can explain what this might mean for independent filmmaking, if such a thing became well established. That is, what would it mean for things like gettting financed?

Well, this kind of stuff is over my head. Anyways, the powers that be allowed speculators to help bring the world economy to its knees with oil. Why shouldn't it allow them to muck around with the movie industry? But as they say, showbiz is a business. It's too difficult for me to wrap my brain around this, as it is, so maybe those of you who are made of brighter stuff can explain what this might mean for independent filmmaking, if such a thing became well established. That is, what would it mean for things like gettting financed?

Here's the best way (and others will get more detailed) I put it to myself:

In Futures, say you have corn. You can speculate how corn prices are going to go by things like Season conditions, current price, growing patterns-things you can calculate with numbers and can reasonably be predicted within a certain spectrum.

Movies are going to be based on things like script, director, and "word of mouth" (I can't believe they're allowing that). There are fewer unpredictable, finicky groups than film goers-they will go out and push critical busts like "Transformers Rise of the Fallen" to multi-hundred million earnings, but critical successes can bomb at the box office, but you can't trace these trends, because its subjective to opinion- I almost liken movie goers to chaos theory in action.

What does it mean for independents? It means unless your movie is following a certain trend at that particular moment-it means studios are far less likely to look at your work.

IE: Say Teletubbies Meets Spongebob does a MASSIVE 400 million box office haul-do you have something similar? Maybe Thomas the Tank meets Backyardigans? No? Sorry, we can't take a chance, but Teletubbies/Spongebob is the way to go.

Extreme? Absolutely, but think of all the movies you've watched that were horrible in your eyes, yet made 6 digit millions at the box office. Speculation suggests Hollywood would be more interested in putting out those.Now everyone will try and make 10 different versions of the same film (Avatar was a smash? How about Blue Aliens and Earth? The Forest People? Earth Vs ET?)-Oh wait, there's a new film it's about a dogs eating out of high tech food bowls! That just made 500 million! Get our those dogs and bowl films!

These are extreme examples, but you can see why a lot of people would be in an uproar int he film community....money, money, money(to the extreme in this case)

Now having said THAT: I'm thinking (someone comes and modifies my idea), but that the basic, basic gist.

Last edited:
I personally LOVE the idea. I've been predicting box office for YEARS without making any money on it at all so this will allow me to do some actual speculating.

I don't understand why it's such a big deal... We do it with other commodities... Why not box office?

filmy

Back