Film Experience

Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I'll be moving to LA soon to be studying film. I am hopeful that I can get a lot out of this experience. I am also a bit nervous. I need something to work on before I go, but I am just not coming up with ideas....I really think that having a project to work on before school might help get me in the frame of mind. I have some books, 'the Filmmaker's Handbook', 'Shot by Shot'...I don't know why all the sudden my inspiration has gone dry and I can't come up with any ideas. I am getting nervous, but I know this is what I want to do and I don't think that I will ruin the industry...I just need more experience with film. I would be a novice. I mean, I have recorded protests and made home movies with my HD digital camera. I made a neat remix of Marilyn Manson and Jem, but of course that was just for personal entertainment.

I think one big thing about making good movies is to have a story-teller mind. I think that people who often visualize a lot come up with the most interesting ideas. That's why I am sort of freaking out because even though I know that just going to school won't make all these dreams happen, I am sure it IS possible. Like, what do you have to know? I know that you have to be familiar with all the technical aspects of filming, but that can't be everything to it? I imagine you need to be able to do a lot of things to be able to be successful. What is something that I should be working on? I was told that I really didn't need to do much other than watch lots of movies before I went to the school, but I think I need to prepare more. So I am hoping that some more experienced film makers will share their advice and experiences with film.

Thanks a bunch,

Gabrielle

Welcome! It's great to dive right in before film school. Take a classic public domain story, modernize it (Shakespeare, poetry, whatever), and shoot it. Learning is doing, so just do it (to quote Nike).

I don't think that I will ruin the industry...

Michael Bay beat you to it by several years. Don't sweat it.
smiley_haw.gif

what do you have to know?

That's the point of going to film-school, I 'spose. If you knew it all already...

Keep yourself surrounded with like-minded film-peeps, and you'll have a great time. :cool:

Just as a footnote, there's nothing you'll learn in film school that you can't pick up from books off amazon, or a library. So, make sure your reasons for wanting film school are the right ones -- to make contacts in the industry.

Just as a footnote, there's nothing you'll learn in film school that you can't pick up from books off amazon, or a library. So, make sure your reasons for wanting film school are the right ones -- to make contacts in the industry.
You won't make many contacts, just teachers and students. Did you go? You made lots of contacts? There are plenty of good reasons to go, but that was not one for me.

You won't make many contacts, just teachers and students. Did you go? You made lots of contacts? There are plenty of good reasons to go, but that was not one for me.

I am really hopeful that I am making the right decision. I am also sort of contemplating if it would be better to go to a University, such as George Mason which has a film and television major and a campus.

The hard thing about making movies when you're at home is the lack of actors and input.

The only real way to have a constant flow of ideas is to start carrying around a notepad and pen. It's kind of annoying/embarassing at first, but you'll get used to it. Write a few things down during your day--anything that sitcks out i.e characters, dialogue, ideas. Then after a week or so you can sit down and connect the dots, so to speak.

The only real way to have a constant flow of ideas is to start carrying around a notepad and pen. It's kind of annoying/embarassing at first, but you'll get used to it. Write a few things down during your day--anything that sitcks out i.e characters, dialogue, ideas. Then after a week or so you can sit down and connect the dots, so to speak.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to start doing this. I also have a small camera that I can take around with me. :)

depends what film school. My buddy is attending USC's grad program for directing. Im going to go visit him in a couple weeks to meet the faculty. He tells me that the contacts there are amazing, and it is guarenteed that you will find secure work when you graduate.

Going to school will give you the tools you need to craft a film. Being a constant observer and student of the art form will allow you to express a broader range of strokes.

Love the art form. Watch movies...a lot. What works, what doesn't? Why? What do you like, and what do you dislike? Watch the greats, watch the flops...break them down.

Then, surround yourself with friendly, talented people. Get a staple of cast and crew together you can trust, and who you admire. Make films. Then make more. Always finish your projects, and never let them collect dust when they are done.

Cheers.

Back