Film Criticism on IndieTalk

Yes it does make sense. It still opens the door for someone to claim they were pioneering a new style, though. "It's not bad! It's my style!"

:lol:
How DARE you question me!!! I'm an artiste!!! My style is art!! I suppose everyone feels that way to some extent. Your film is your baby...:yes:

I haven't seen Pi yet, so I can't comment there. I'll go rent it and see what that's all about.

Its a strange film by Darren Aronofsky, same guy who did Requiem For A Dream. Very disorienting, but still cool in weird kind of way

-- spinner :cool:

Pi was sweet. Requiem is classic, must-see. And the Fountain is the most brilliant abstract commercial art film ever to be made. Aronofsky is a king. He's got an uber-European feel in his flicks, with the complexities of North American storytelling turned into complex visual palettes for the eyes to behold. That's a lot of sexy adjectives to accompany one's nouns, if you know what I'm saying.

Jacob's Ladder is great too. Great imagery, and of course, Tim Robbins.

sonnyboo said:
If someone says, "I wish the story would have been more about X..." then I agree, that's more of a preference situation. It's all very difficult. Maybe it's up to the person submitting, but sooner or later all of our movies are going to get reviewed and we won't like what is said about them.

I have no idea if IndieTalk should or shouldn't allow it.

Boo's done it again.

But the point is, we're talking about "criticisms" being laced with opinions, but both of them are still the person's "thoughts". And isn't that why we make films?
We have a thought and then act on that thought; and the reaction to that action is for the audience who sees the realization of that thought and it causes them to now have thoughts. But imagine now, if those thoughts that conjure in the audience's heads could be fed back to you (the mind that conceived the original thought)... well, it's going to set off other thoughts up in your own brain. And those thoughts will manifest too. It's something that's more prevalent in live theatre, methinks. An audience reaction is one of the tastiest rewards in this business.

But all I'm really trying to say is that when it comes down to critiques, I'd rather get a person's honest thoughts than a cookie cutter technical, emotionless, unbiased, judicial-style critique. Because the honest reaction, WHATEVER it is, would be more beneficial to me than a toned down, or watered down reaction.

Even if they think I suck balls, and should be banned from picking up a camera. Even that would conjure up thoughts in my brain. Thoughts about murder, revenge, suicide, murder-suicide, revenge-murder-suicide, killing, stabbing, frowning, frolicking, and possibly writing an ill-tempered email to my local political representative.

Pi was sweet. Requiem is classic, must-see. And the Fountain is the most brilliant abstract commercial art film ever to be made. Aronofsky is a king. He's got an uber-European feel in his flicks, with the complexities of North American storytelling turned into complex visual palettes for the eyes to behold. That's a lot of sexy adjectives to accompany one's nouns, if you know what I'm saying.

Jacob's Ladder is great too. Great imagery, and of course, Tim Robbins.

This just cinched it. I really enjoyed The Fountain. I haven't seen Requiem, either. Now I will be sure to watch both.

Yes, Jacob's Ladder was a good film. I enjoyed that one, too.

If you haven't watched Pan's Labyrinth do so immediately. You would enjoy it, too. Very well done, IMO.

I bought this DVD the day it was released... but haven't watched it yet. :D

So did I, but I was sure to watch it soon afterwards. I don't speak Spanish so I will have to watch it enough where I don't have to read the subtitles as much where I can better appreciate the cinematography and visuals.

I rented Pi last night, and you were right. This is an excellent example of pioneering style (first use of a body mounted camera, I believe) and carefully considered artistic choices. I probably connected with it and enjoyed it more than many because I've spent my life and 16 years of my career in technology, specifically computers. And it's clear Aronofsky inspired others because the movie Phenomenon with John Travolta had echoes of this film embedded. Despite what critics may say, Pi is 100% defensible as "art".

Requiem was only available on VHS so I didn't pick it up. I retired my VCR a long time ago. I am one component away from HD DVD or BluRay (I'm waiting for the format war and prices to settle), so I'll have a tough time going back to a mere 260 lines of resolution on a 73" screen. :lol:

....I don't think he was the first to use an 'actor mounted camera', I seem to remember Spike Lee doing this sort of thing for a long time. But I get your point, Aronofsky used the technique brilliantly...

73", holy crap! Movie night at Veep's house!

I think it would cheaper for you to just drive to your local theater, but you're welcome anytime. :)

....I don't think he was the first to use an 'actor mounted camera', I seem to remember Spike Lee doing this sort of thing for a long time. But I get your point, Aronofsky used the technique brilliantly...

I don't recall seeing an actor mounted camera technique like that until the early 2000's. I haven't seen too many Spike Lee movies, not since Malcom X. I did watch his series on New Orleans, though.

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing an actor mounted camera technique like that until the early 2000's. I haven't seen too many Spike Lee movies, not since Malcom X. I did watch his series on New Orleans, though.

...I think I remember seeing it in Do The Right Thing....

Back