• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

camera Film Cameras

Who here owns a film camera and shoots on film? 16mm, 35mm, or 8mm? What is to gain from these formats that is lost on digital?

I own a few 16mm and Super8 cameras. Have shot shorts and features with both.

Today, there isn't much to gain using film that digital can't achieve. With no film distribution
the finished product will only be seen digitally no mater how you capture. Regardless, I'm
prepping an '80's style horror film and the plan is to shoot both 16mm and Super8. My DP
and I just feel the look with be better.

There's obviously a 'look' about film that you gain from shooting on it. Outside of that look, I think what you gain from it is a certain discipline that will transfer over to all of your work. That said, it's extremely uncommon these days to shoot film, so all that discipline is mostly lost in the industry now.

Film has a great look, but I haven't shot with it in 20 years. I have shot 6 features, most on different formats. Though Youtube compression on older videos is harsh, you can compare some looks. Just click on one of the titles:

THE BLACK CRYSTAL Shot on Super 8mm (Canon 1014, Sankyo XL620)
TERRARIUM Shot on 16mm (Canon Scoopic). Released by Lionsgate as WAR OF THE PLANETS.
THE AWAKENING shot on Mini DV (Panasonic DVX100)
EXILE shot on HD (Panasonic HVX200}
EVIL DWELLS WITHIN (Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K)
DRONE DOWN (Blackmagic 6K pro, but in 4K format)

I'm happy enough with the high res look of the Blackmagics, even though they are video. If you want to mix in any sort of digital effect, Go Pro or Drone footage, then film is going to look different than those sources. I had a 7K budget for DRONE DOWN, in 2021. Everyone was paid $70 per day, for 9 days. Comparatively,, I shot THE BLACK CRYSTAL in 1989, and paid everyone $50 per day, for 15 days. That film cost 19K. So, I'm able to make a 4K feature for 1/3rd the cost of a Super 8mm feature. Big differences were Rank Cintel transfer and editing costs, back then. Transfer is still expensive though.

I'm prepping an '80's style horror film and the plan is to shoot both 16mm and Super8. My DP
That should look great! Can't wait for the trailer!

There's obviously a 'look' about film that you gain from shooting on it. Outside of that look, I think what you gain from it is a certain discipline that will transfer over to all of your work.

Nice to see you, jax_rox! The discipline of actually lighting something, and not shooting take after take, because of the cost. I agree, everything about film requires more care, and is so much more "crafted."

Last edited:
I own a few 16mm and Super8 cameras. Have shot shorts and features with both.

Today, there isn't much to gain using film that digital can't achieve. With no film distribution
the finished product will only be seen digitally no mater how you capture. Regardless, I'm
prepping an '80's style horror film and the plan is to shoot both 16mm and Super8. My DP

How did you manage to persuade the producers to raise money against that! The guys I know would run a mile if I used the words 'super 8!'

We shot some Ektachrome reversal and some Kodak Vision 3 negative had it transferred to 4K and then showed them both the raw transfer and the graded footage. Projected on a 60ft screen. That sold them.

DP and I really like the look of the reversal stock and it wasn't too hard to get that Kodachrome look.

Back