• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Feedback on script

I don't normally ask for advice on scripts, but this is definitely not the sort of story I normally write, so feedback would be helpful. Also, I'm definitely not a writer (it's been about 6 months since I've written due to being really busy with work and study), I write out of necessity. Anywho;

I'm trying to get into a film course, and the co-ordinator recommended that I enter their schools "1 minute massive" (as the name suggests, a one minute film) - which focuses a lot more on the storytelling side of filmmaking, as opposed to good shot composition, editing, etc. This years theme is "too far, too fast". Based on previous years winners, the standard doesn't seem too high, but I obviously want to do the best I can..

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1cA66qv8T4WMUlWUWZoQ25mcnM/edit?usp=sharing

It's a fairly rough first draft - but as a general idea, do people think it's decent?
Also, the final idea - the dialogue (which admittedly is kind of weak - it is meant to be ridiculous, though) - I'm not sure that it works. It was the initial idea, but after writing it out, it felt a little forced... thoughts?
Finally, as someone who has always struggled with gauging how long a script will become on screen, do you think this can work in one minute without feeling rushed? I think I'll do a 'directors cut' for myself, as I know I will be cutting stuff out that I'd like to keep, but for the competition, I'll obviously need to trim it down...

Thanks for any help - be as harsh as you like (I'm not a huge fan of the script, but my other ideas around the theme haven't worked as of yet)

I was going to be delicate, but then I read "be as harsh as you like." I'll be harsh but constructive.

- Don't forget to name your script. What am I reading? Who's it written by? How can I get in contact with you if I fucking LOVE this script and want to shoot it? I can't. I don't know who you are. I don't even know what the effing thing is called.

- INT. GARAGE ----- When? Day? Night? Dusk? Dawn?

- When you introduce a character it's all caps with his/her age. "man puts on gloves" should be "a MAN, 50's, puts on gloves."

- Starting with a montage is lazy. Put some effort in. Garages can be wonderful places, full of all kinds of stuff. Sell it to us. Paint us a picture.

- "etc" is even lazier. In my book etc stands for End of Thinking Capacity. It just means that you couldn't think of anything else but felt that *something* should have gone there.

Man enters and goes to sit down at TV. He see’s his DVD of

"Speed Zone" and has a cliched moment of realization.

Come on, man. Really? It's as if you're rolling your eyes and going "ugh." at your own script.

- Get rid of the montages already. They aren't montages. They're just things that happen. "Man stirs the paint, takes the paint over the car and paints it" - there's a lot you can do with that. Build some nice imagery! Endear me! Entertain me! Give me a reason to keep reading!

- Give Man a name. I don't care what the name is, Chuck, Stan, Greg, Marko, fucking Julio for all I care. I don't care about a guy called Man. Make it personal. Who is this guy? How old is he? Does he look like my grandpa? Am I going to get a feeling of nostalgia looking at him because he reminds me of the time I spent with my grandpa in the front yard/garage building things? Play on things like that. Make it personal.

- Try not to put camera direction {(repeated shot)} in to your script.

- If you're going to write FADE OUT halfway through the script, make sure you write FADE IN after wards, otherwise save it for the end.

- Introduce the nurse properly.

- Introduce the girlfriend properly.

- The nurse's dialogue... is she an expert in the quantum mechanics of time and space? Is she actually Steven Hawking in disguise? Is a nurse really going to know all of that stuff or even say it? Nah, probably not. You could fade in on the nurse having to wait outside as a secret government agent or someone similar talks to the Man as he wakes up. You KNOW the government is gonna want that kind of technology. Leave it on a cliff hanger! Those words do not sound right coming out of her mouth. Would they sound right coming out of a secret agent's mouth? Yeah, probably.

- Don't put parentheticals halfway through dialogue. ESPECIALLY Action. There's no harm in breaking up dialogue to move to an action line. Just for the love of god, don't write (CONT'D).

- Get rid of (CONTINUED) at the bottom right of the page and CONTINUED: Probably just an auto setting in your software, so it isn't your fault, but it still pisses me off. No shit it's continued. I can effing see that.

It's mostly just formatting errors and stuff that needs tightening up. I'd watch this and probably enjoy it but you've gotta put some flare in to it!

Hope that didn't come off as too harsh.

:)

I actually thought the montage was a pretty decent way of showing a lot of information (building a car) in a one minute film.

Also considering the format, the titles of MAN, NURSE and GIRLFRIEND I feel are quite appropriate.

I think you'll have trouble editing this into 1 minute, the dialogue at the end will probably be the easiest to trim, perhaps the shaving scene.

- Get rid of (CONTINUED) at the bottom right of the page and CONTINUED: Probably just an auto setting in your software, so it isn't your fault, but it still pisses me off. No shit it's continued. I can effing see that.

Although there is some feeling that only a shooting script should have the CONTINUED etc. in it, I prefer it and it is a generally accepted format. Why would you so vocally insist that it just be removed as a matter of course?

It's also not obvious without going to the next page if continued is necessary or not. Having it means the particular SCENE continues on the next page (not the script), which you'd have to actually look for a new slugline on the next page or not to know. If I were shopping a script around, I might take it out. Otherwise, I always include them.

CraigL

I actually thought the montage was a pretty decent way of showing a lot of information (building a car) in a one minute film.

Also considering the format, the titles of MAN, NURSE and GIRLFRIEND I feel are quite appropriate.

I think you'll have trouble editing this into 1 minute, the dialogue at the end will probably be the easiest to trim, perhaps the shaving scene.

Although there is some feeling that only a shooting script should have the CONTINUED etc. in it, I prefer it and it is a generally accepted format. Why would you so vocally insist that it just be removed as a matter of course?

It's also not obvious without going to the next page if continued is necessary or not. Having it means the particular SCENE continues on the next page (not the script), which you'd have to actually look for a new slugline on the next page or not to know. If I were shopping a script around, I might take it out. Otherwise, I always include them.

CraigL

Calling it a montage isn't necessary, and like I said, lazy in my opinion. It doesn't need to say "montage" it takes the reader out of the story. If it needs to be a minute long, that happens in the edit room, not the script. Obviously that doesn't mean write a ten page script expecting it to be a minute, but it isn't required and it just looks cringeworthy.

Again "CONTINUED" takes readers out of the story and looks cringeworthy. Come on, don't give me that "it's not obvious" thing. Who looks for a slugline when it doesn't say CONT'D? No one. If there's a new scene, there'll be a slug line. Have you ever read a script with CONT'D at the bottom of the page and thought "Shit, thank god that was there, otherwise I'd have been totally lost!"

What's the difference between not having it in a script you're shopping around and having it in one you're not?

Again "CONTINUED" takes readers out of the story and looks cringeworthy. Come on, don't give me that "it's not obvious" thing. Who looks for a slugline when it doesn't say CONT'D? No one. If there's a new scene, there'll be a slug line. Have you ever read a script with CONT'D at the bottom of the page and thought "Shit, thank god that was there, otherwise I'd have been totally lost!"

It's used and not used. I like it, and I use it, as do many others. As I said, if I were sending it off to be read, I wouldn't. "cringeworthy" is not really a thought I've ever had, and I've never found myself taken out of the story with it there.

The rest is just seemingly to angrily express your opinion and belittle the rest. No comment really.

CraigL

I wouldn't say it's intended to come off as angry. Quite the opposite, but OP wants feedback, I gave it to them.

Seems like this is the kinda forum where everyone cuddles over the Internet and pats each other on the back instead of telling it like it is, and anyone who does isn't welcome.

Alex, you gotta chill. You do come off as angry. You're swearing, yelling, and getting all defensive. And we aren't that forum where everyone cuddles over the internet and pats each other on the back. We give our honest opinions, constructive criticism, and ideas (which you can't give without being a jerk).

Seems like this is the kinda forum where everyone cuddles over the Internet and pats each other on the back instead of telling it like it is, and anyone who does isn't welcome.
Yep, you gotta chill. People express their opinion here. Not
everyone feel exactly as you do. We all welcome new people
and we all tell it like it is. We even comment on each others
advice.

Stick around a little before you make an overall judgment of every
single person on the forum. Read what other people say. Keep
an open mind. And lighten up.

Other posters have already mentioned a few key things.

As always, you should try to read some pro screenplays.

A few things that will help you.

Your formatting does not 100% follow the screenplay formatting rules - you'll find format guides here:
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/watch-your-formatting.php

You must always introduce key characters - here's how (with some great examples)
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/character-intros.php

How to Create Great Characters
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/how-to-create-great-characters.php

John August is a pro screenwriter, he has an excellent site:
http://johnaugust.com/

Alex, you gotta chill. You do come off as angry. You're swearing, yelling, and getting all defensive. And we aren't that forum where everyone cuddles over the internet and pats each other on the back. We give our honest opinions, constructive criticism, and ideas (which you can't give without being a jerk).

Point taken. My comment about the forum was childish, and I definitely feel like a jerk for that.

Yep, you gotta chill. People express their opinion here. Not
everyone feel exactly as you do. We all welcome new people
and we all tell it like it is. We even comment on each others
advice.

Stick around a little before you make an overall judgment of every
single person on the forum. Read what other people say. Keep
an open mind. And lighten up.

Again, point taken.

I apologise if I come off as angry, or aggressive. I'm mostly used to brutal critique from people who speak/write in a similar way to how I did above. Most of the critique I posted is what's been said to me before, so I noticed the similarities in my old script and paraphrased it.

Edit: It's also kinda just how I talk.

Oh, I didn't realise this thread had suddenly received attention.

Thank you for the replies everyone/

I was going to be delicate, but then I read "be as harsh as you like." I'll be harsh but constructive.

- Don't forget to name your script. What am I reading? Who's it written by? How can I get in contact with you if I fucking LOVE this script and want to shoot it? I can't. I don't know who you are. I don't even know what the effing thing is called.

- INT. GARAGE ----- When? Day? Night? Dusk? Dawn?

- When you introduce a character it's all caps with his/her age. "man puts on gloves" should be "a MAN, 50's, puts on gloves."

- Starting with a montage is lazy. Put some effort in. Garages can be wonderful places, full of all kinds of stuff. Sell it to us. Paint us a picture.
This is a script for myself as director -I appreciate the tips for more correct formatting (I was actually aware of better formatting, I was quickly slapping this together and, as you said, being lazy), though I have no intention to take this story much further than a single day of shooting. I will keep the formatting tips in mind though.

As for montage, I will defend that. I don't particularly enjoy montages either - but my intention with this script is a subtle stab at hollywood cliches framed in the context of a light film. If that wasn't clear in my script (I didn't want to spell it out), then I'll take the fall for that.
- "etc" is even lazier. In my book etc stands for End of Thinking Capacity. It just means that you couldn't think of anything else but felt that *something* should have gone there.

- Get rid of the montages already. They aren't montages. They're just things that happen. "Man stirs the paint, takes the paint over the car and paints it" - there's a lot you can do with that. Build some nice imagery! Endear me! Entertain me! Give me a reason to keep reading!

- Give Man a name. I don't care what the name is, Chuck, Stan, Greg, Marko, fucking Julio for all I care. I don't care about a guy called Man. Make it personal. Who is this guy? How old is he? Does he look like my grandpa? Am I going to get a feeling of nostalgia looking at him because he reminds me of the time I spent with my grandpa in the front yard/garage building things? Play on things like that. Make it personal.

Fair call; again this is my own laziness. I know what this will look like in my head, but didn't want to write out "hammers a nail, files an edge [...]" - of course if I was writing for someone else, i would make things a lot clearer. I think I didn't make this obvious enough that this was a much more casual project (I really wanted critique on the actual story and dialogue - but I realise I asked the wrong question for that, sorry about that).

Come on, man. Really? It's as if you're rolling your eyes and going "ugh." at your own script.
That's exactly what I'm doing, it is kind of the intent. Again, if I didn't make that clear, it is a flaw in my story (and this is the most valuable critique)

- Try not to put camera direction {(repeated shot)} in to your script.
Fair call, it is a bad habit, I consciously try not to do it (I didn't even realise I had) - I guess I tend to do it because I am not at all a writer, and am only writing for myself

- If you're going to write FADE OUT halfway through the script, make sure you write FADE IN after wards, otherwise save it for the end.
Yep, my bad there.

- Introduce the nurse properly.

- Introduce the girlfriend properly.
I'd love some suggestions of how to do this in a minute!0
(that sounds passive aggressive, I am genuine though)
I was considering the girlfriend being introduced through a simple cutaway of a photo of him with her (though I hadn't considered this when I wrote the version of the script being critiqued). Nurse would simply be introduced through uniform

- The nurse's dialogue... is she an expert in the quantum mechanics of time and space? Is she actually Steven Hawking in disguise? Is a nurse really going to know all of that stuff or even say it? Nah, probably not. You could fade in on the nurse having to wait outside as a secret government agent or someone similar talks to the Man as he wakes up. You KNOW the government is gonna want that kind of technology. Leave it on a cliff hanger! Those words do not sound right coming out of her mouth. Would they sound right coming out of a secret agent's mouth? Yeah, probably.
Again, this goes with the intent. It's meant to be ridiculous. The actual science behind this is atrocious (i have a background in physics and engineering), it's a stab at hollywood jargon, and the way they give characters way too much knowledge for what they do.

- Don't put parentheticals halfway through dialogue. ESPECIALLY Action. There's no harm in breaking up dialogue to move to an action line. Just for the love of god, don't write (CONT'D).
Okay, this is something I did not know, thank you :)

I didn't do this intentionally, would never have bothered, Celtx does it automatically. For my purposes and level of work, there is no way in hell I'm buying professional software.

It's mostly just formatting errors and stuff that needs tightening up. I'd watch this and probably enjoy it but you've gotta put some flare in to it!

Hope that didn't come off as too harsh.

:)
It came of as harsh, but I'm not offended, and there was a lot of useful stuff to take from it, so thank you :P

I initially had named the Man, actually, but it seemed wasteful, and his actual character is not so important, hence removing it.

Yeah, I'm worried about this. I have tried trimming the dialogue but am having some trouble. I am considering cutting the girlfriend and nurse out, and having him realise his face is *damaged*, google his condition and explain it that way. (So I can just have him mutter, and show key phrases that give enough explanation).
I also think the film could be started a bit later in (e.g. starting with him being inspired by Speed Zone - though this gives the film a much more basic structure).

CraigL
Given my current stature, I am not overly worried by this, but the debate is interesting, and I may look a bit further into this

Thanks for the link :)

Your formatting does not 100% follow the screenplay formatting rules - you'll find format guides here:
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/watch-your-formatting.php

You must always introduce key characters - here's how (with some great examples)
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/character-intros.php

How to Create Great Characters
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/how-to-create-great-characters.php

John August is a pro screenwriter, he has an excellent site:
http://johnaugust.com/
Thank you for the links, I'll be bookmarking these for sure!

I apologise if I come off as angry, or aggressive. I'm mostly used to brutal critique from people who speak/write in a similar way to how I did above. Most of the critique I posted is what's been said to me before, so I noticed the similarities in my old script and paraphrased it.

Hey, it's great to get such critique from someone who's been here before, I'm not offended. Although the phrasing was a bit aggressive, and I could see how such wording to other people may actually be unconstructive.

Yo, just a general message. I think Alex realises he was a bit over the top, so it'd be cool if we could all move on, I'm not offended (I understand the issue is more for the forum in general, though) and his comments are quite helpful.

Anyway, I think most of the response is my own fault for not being clear in what I was asking. I am mostly interested in feedback on the actual story, as the script, which i know isn't well formatted, is only really going to be used by me. I think my script may be a little unclear as well, though; the vision here is basically a self aware film, that plays on old cliches, hopefully to create a light film, as well as taking a subtle stab at the median the story takes place in.

Re format, I appreciate it's for your shooting convenience, so simplicity is always good in that respect, I think I just try and get in to the habit of formatting every time.

Re fair call, I know you've said you're writing it for yourself, but you're going to need a Man, his girlfriend and the nurse. Make it jazzy for them. Get them psyched! - and don't apologise.

Re cliché, I didn't realise that. Now I do.

Re camera direction and "I'm not at all a writer" - if you write, you sir are a writer. Like it or not ;)

Re proper introductions, what I meant was MAN, 20's - NURSE, 50's, GIRLFRIEND, 20's, or something like that.

Re dialogue, that makes sense now haha.

Re CONT'D, I know what you mean. I also use Celtx. Who's got money for final draft? I tried FD and prefer Celtx to be honest. They're a lovely team as well - always good if you need support or help.

I think I locked horns a bit too hard with CraigL regarding CONT'D. It's personal preference I suppose, but I've just been taught never to use it by a much better writer than I, so as I said a few posts back, I passed that critique on.

Re format, I appreciate it's for your shooting convenience, so simplicity is always good in that respect, I think I just try and get in to the habit of formatting every time.

Yeah, I agree with you, I'll be looking to format properly in future

Re fair call, I know you've said you're writing it for yourself, but you're going to need a Man, his girlfriend and the nurse. Make it jazzy for them. Get them psyched! - and don't apologise.

That's true. At this stage, it's going to be people I'm. I'm currently living away from home and unable to get all my gear to where I am, so I'll be shooting it when I go home in a few weeks (I'm only there for a week, so don't really have time to do real casting). But yeah, you are right, anything to help the actor understand the character better has got to help

Re cliché, I didn't realise that. Now I do.

Do you think it works in that regard?

Re camera direction and "I'm not at all a writer" - if you write, you sir are a writer. Like it or not ;)

aha, fair point. I am trying to get out of the habit of camera direction in script. I used to be a lot worse at it. I guess my brain is geared more toward the visual side of things (although I am heavily involved in story). I have a very clear image in my head of what something will look like, and I guess I have trouble translating that to paper, especially without description of camera. But that's what shooting scripts, shot lists and storyboards are for.

Re proper introductions, what I meant was MAN, 20's - NURSE, 50's, GIRLFRIEND, 20's, or something like that.

Yeah, that makes sense. I also realise I gave no real details regard appearance or costume

Re dialogue, that makes sense now haha.

I am actually most worried about the dialogue. What do you think about it? Does it/the general idea work?

Re CONT'D, I know what you mean. I also use Celtx. Who's got money for final draft? I tried FD and prefer Celtx to be honest. They're a lovely team as well - always good if you need support or help.

I think I locked horns a bit too hard with CraigL regarding CONT'D. It's personal preference I suppose, but I've just been taught never to use it by a much better writer than I, so as I said a few posts back, I passed that critique on

I'm not overly familar with Celtx yet - is there an option to remove the cont'd? (I can't see one) It was never something i considered or realise was a debate between people, so it was an interesting and educational discussion

I think I locked horns a bit too hard with CraigL regarding CONT'D. It's personal preference I suppose, but I've just been taught never to use it by a much better writer than I, so as I said a few posts back, I passed that critique on.

Interesting, as I tried the Final Draft demo and preferred Celtx also, perhaps because that's what I started on. And I love the Celtx team, not only for technical support but for the Seed program, competitions and stuff that they do to encourage the community in general. I ended up buying the Celtx Plus I liked it so much.

The CONTINUED thing, I'd never seen any controversy over it, I appreciated knowing that there were (strong!) opinions. I did tend to remove it when the script was in "reading"/rewrite mode, but left it once things got locked down.

I'm not overly familar with Celtx yet - is there an option to remove the cont'd?

Once you go to the "Typeset/PDF" tab in the script, there's a button for "Format Options" in the view toolbar, then there's a "Mores and Continueds" tab there that you can disable them at both dialogue and scene levels.

CraigL

Again, point taken.

Cool. For the record I didn't mention your critique of the script; I
thought your indictment if the entire indietalk community was
over the top. Honest, even brutal critique is fine; you now know
that if you come off as angry and aggressive you will be called out.
That's good, too.

Sometimes on a messageboard you need to temper how you talk
because the written word is different than the spoken word. I'm
glad you're here alex. It's always best to have people with strong
opinions here.

Thank you for the apology. Like Directorik said, written word is different from spoken word. I took what you said the wrong way. Great to have another good IndieTalk member :cheers:

Thanks guys. Apologies or getting us off on the wrong foot.

The reason I try and give a strong opinion is I used to send scripts to friends and they'd say "mate, that's so good!" and stuff like that. Need less to say it got very embarrassing when I sent an under par script around to other people and it got ripped to shreds haha.

Sort of a "cruel to be kind" type thing.

Back