• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

FCPX files on hardrive - Urgent

I have been editing this project for the last 3 months and I have been editing with all the files on a hardrive and I have been a bit scared to switch the computer off, incase I lose the edit. All the files are located on the hardrive.

What can i do to get some peace of mind about switching off my mac, my version of FCPX is 10.0.7

Any suggestions or advice for me?

what else can i do to get peace of mind.

There's prayer.........

I shut down my entire studio when I am done for the day - the computer, external hard drives, interfaces, everything - and then the power switch on my power conditioners. When I use my preferred brand of external drives (Glyph) I have no worries. I do back-ups every day.

So Alcove, just to clarify, if i've edited something from my external hard drive, when i've turned it off, it will all be back on there the next day. thats my only problem because you cant force a save on FCPX
and it makes me very nervy, i've edited a 45 minute project and for me to lose it would be financially and time economically devastating.

you cant force a save on FCPX

Wow, Apple really did do a number on that version, didn't they? I'd never use a piece of software that didn't allow for a forced save.

Closing FCPX will surely save it though?

You say it's on an external, but you must have an internal drive also, right? Copy it to there. Burn it to CD/DVD. Pen drive. Or, look into one of the numerous cloud-based backup systems.

CraigL

Do you have any particular reason to believe that now, after three months, is the time for it to crash? Or are you just paranoid :hmm:

Fwiw, you can get 7gb free cloud-space from Microsoft Skydrive, and the paid extra space is very cheap.

Close FCP X, eject your hard-drive, power down your computer. It could use a rest. It'll be faster when you restart it anyways. Connect your external drive again and it'll pop up in FCP X again. I've been doing it the whole time, no problem!

Back