• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Favorite movie for Cinimatography?

The first thing I ever saw that made me aware of what cinematography even was: Road to Perdition.

But as a matter of personal taste:

"And the winner is.... AMELIE. Case closed."

Here here!
Honestly I'd give A Very Long Engagement the upperhand but you can add everything Jean Pierre Juenet has done to that list. I don't know if he stuck with the same Cinematographer or not.. but they've all been beautiful.. Even Alien Resurrection.

Okay, here is where you all get to laugh at me. Stupid Don!

I watch a lot of movies, paying a lot of attention to camera direction, 'look', movement, angles, etc. -- for all is important. One can learn a lot from turning off the sound and just 'looking'. There are a lot of great movies with great cinematography, but there are a few movies that fall under the radar, recent movies that impressed me greatly.

Both of these movies were seen on a 73" widescreen @ 1080p format.

Working within an enclosed environment with lots of CGI -- don't laugh too loud, I think SILENT HILL was awesome. I know many will frown and wonder "what is that boy high on?" But watch the movie in 1080p. Forget the story, acting, etc. -- concentrate just on imagery -- the cinematography.

For working outdoors in a somewhat uncontrolled environment, A PERFECT GETAWAY was also very impressive.

Lord Of The Rings (all 3) -- was a pleasant mix of interior and exterior mind blowing cinematography as well, but it also had a much bigger budget to work with!

Are you done laughing at me? Do your sides hurt? Good. Go watch the two lower-budgeted movies with sound off, (if you have already seen them and know the story), then come back to IndieTalk and laugh at me some more!

I agree on the dubbing. Especially when they replace the entire audio with new (usually cheesy) foley and all.

I don't know why people complain about subtitles. I stop noticing that I'm reading after 5-10 minutes.

I've got a lot of time for this movie (more than most people probably) and I think this might be Deakins' best work and that's saying something given what an extraordinary body of work he's amassed.

I watched it for the first time just a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. The photography is exquisite.

Back