favorite Favorite Indie Sci-Fi's

That rules! Thanks for posting that! I absolutely loved Hardware Wars as a kid. He did a couple others too, an Apocalypse Now spoof I think was called Porklips Now. Think I only saw that once. There was also a Close Emcounters one but I don't know if that was the same director, it's been so long. Those I think may have been my first exposure to a low budget indie film. Still trying to capture the magic those brought me as a kid.

You mean this??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grs4acx-3SU&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLCC420D4454661322

sorry but share option is disabled
yes i remember this one as well!!!

Last edited:
Difficult to answer this question, without knowing our working definition of "indie". If you mean that it was made outside of the Hollywood Studio System, shit, that's a lot of great movies. And, if we use that definition, then "Splice" definitely fits the category, and that movie is terrific.

How is it possible that nobody has mentioned "Dark City"?

Wat ellements, make this a SF movie? I understand that SF stands for Scheince Fiction. And the movie had some Math and Fiction.....but it feels more like....eu....It does not feel like a SF movie....

PI is Sci-fi by virtue of its mad scientist character. Max obsesses about the "code of the universe." He builds a supercomputer to help him figure it out. He believes that life can be represented by numerical patterns, which bear themselves out in spiral shapes, from our Milky Way galaxy, sea shells, down to our finger prints and beyond. This code can reveal the secrets of the Torah and predict Stock Market patterns. There are people who will kill to get it.

Max also has something wrong with his brain He has migraines that are getting worse - and he tears into his head at one point. It's driving him insane and we start questioning his reality and paranoia.

pi-0+%25281%2529.jpg

PI is similar to PRIMER in that it's a cerebral mindtwist. It also has a very synthy soundtrack by Clint Mansell (which I really like). PI is to science fiction what REQUIEM FOR A DREAM is to horror. They are not obvious examples of the genre.

According to IMDB it is. It's soft sci-fi, though, rather than hard sci-fi.
I spit-on-the-floor dispise this soft sci-fi/scifi lite trend begun in 2010.

The Adjustment Bureau - What we all thought was everyday serendipity or tragedy is realy JEdgarHoovers rewriting the future.
Another Earth - Haven't seen it, but I can spot this puke a mile off.
Inception - Dream Machine attached to our wrists allows multiple fabricated existances.
Limitless - The pill allows schmucks like you and me to become creative geniuses, business tycoons, and government creme.
Melancholia - See Another Earth.
Monsters - (I do kinda like this one) Twentysomethings bond over tribulations during their cross country trek home.
Never Let me Go - Forced organ donation clones caught in a love triangle.
The Source Code - The program in a box allows the man in the box to repeatedly go back in time until...

D@mmit!
I want space ships, scary aliens, giant robots, blaster guns, superior effing tech, and bizarre permutations of humanity! :mad:

I spit-on-the-floor dispise this soft sci-fi/scifi lite trend begun in 2010.

The Adjustment Bureau - What we all thought was everyday serendipity or tragedy is realy JEdgarHoovers rewriting the future.
Another Earth - Haven't seen it, but I can spot this puke a mile off.
Inception - Dream Machine attached to our wrists allows multiple fabricated existances.
Limitless - The pill allows schmucks like you and me to become creative geniuses, business tycoons, and government creme.
Melancholia - See Another Earth.
Monsters - (I do kinda like this one) Twentysomethings bond over tribulations during their cross country trek home.
Never Let me Go - Forced organ donation clones caught in a love triangle.
The Source Code - The program in a box allows the man in the box to repeatedly go back in time until...

D@mmit!
I want space ships, scary aliens, giant robots, blaster guns, superior effing tech, and bizarre permutations of humanity! :mad:

I don't exactly see your description as being less "soft" sci-fi. I've only seen one movie from your list (Inception) but space ships, robots, and blaster guns screams Star Wars, which is very much soft sci-fi, or more specifically science fantasy.

Then I like science fantasy. Concentrated, if possible.

Load me up, please.
Blow my mind, if at all possible.

Those movies are like sci-fi chicken noodle soup minus the chicken and noodles.

Science fiction versus science fantasy?

Oh great, now we have another category split/label/genre to juggle.

:P

:)

And yeah, there ya go, I didn't know Dark City was indie. Or is it...?

Dahm! Dahm! Dahm! Dahhhhhhhm! (<----dramatic music to emphasize the drama of above question)

Last edited:
Science fiction versus science fantasy?

Oh great, now we have another category split/label/genre to juggle.

My movie geek friends and I have this discussion often. Technically, nearly all science fiction is science fantasy, if you want to look at it that way. It depends on how you define it. According to some, true "science fiction" must adhere to the physical laws of the universe as we know them. By that rationale, only 2001: A Space Odyssey and a few others qualify. All of the Star Wars and all of the Star Treks do not, along with just about every other movie one might otherwise consider Sci-Fi.

In fact, there are so few, it's really kind of pointless to separate them.

Soft sci-fi simply means it deals with the soft sciences (psychology, sociology, etc.), where hard sci-fi deals with things like physics, chemistry, and biology. That's the only difference. It's why things like post-apocalyptic films are generally soft sci-fi. Technically, you could have soft sci-fi set in space. And science fantasy is a different genre all together, not the same as soft sci-fi.

as a kid Roger Cormans Battle Beyond the Stars i always liked for some odd reason. Its basically The Magnificent Seven or to be precise both were taken from The 7 Samuarai. I always like the main spaceship ..the one that looks like flying boobies..LOL (which also that ship was also used in another space movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t7z_44nGio

Ice Pirates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AJsXMIPeqM

Good japaneese low budget scifi fun, good Toho suff here
Message from Space (1978)
http://youtu.be/qOSmIJCHqcQ

The War in Space
http://youtu.be/tFoCLK6n5fo
By the way i see your Spacehunter and raise you
Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn (1983)..LOL

Last edited:
I always like the main spaceship ..the one that looks like flying boobies..LOL (which also that ship was also used in another space movie)

You're being generous. Not only was it the same ship, I believe it was the same footage from BBtS that was used in the other movie! That's quintessential Roger Corman. :lol:

This titlle character reminds me of a Superman villain from the comic books who was a prehistoric cavemen who became immortal from the radiation of a freak meator.

I'll see if I can find this movie available somewhere.

Also, there was a similar character in the Witch Blade TV series who purposely committed horrible crimes because he wanted Sara Pazinni to kill him with the witch blade, believing it is the only thing powerful enough to kill him.

The fact that this character is only 14,000 years old suggested religious overtones. We have scientific proof Humans existed longer than religious beliefs from skelatal remains.

There is religion involved in Man from earth but it involves the character himself, who he may have been in the past There is nothing, as far as I remember, to show that film was trying to deny mans prehistoric origins. I`m not religious at all and found the movie very interesting. There`s not much action and the whole film is set in one location but I loved it.

Back