favorite Favorite CGI Movie?

I know all us low budget filmmakers say that you don't need special effects and cgi to make a good movie. But some stories could not be told without it(they could but it would distract from the story).

What is your favorite movie that "required" CGI?

favorite movie that "required" CGI?

Tron 2 (or Tron 1) :cool:

Tron 2 is not a great film, but it's probably the greatest eye-candy ever seen.

It's not written well. It's not directed well. It makes no friggin' sense at all (at least Tron 1 puts it all in perspective). It's still the most ridiculously awesome film ever made, that would not be the same without a truckload of CGI.

Tron 2 (or Tron 1) :cool:

Tron 2 is not a great film, but it's probably the greatest eye-candy ever seen.

It's not written well. It's not directed well. It makes no friggin' sense at all (at least Tron 1 puts it all in perspective). It's still the most ridiculously awesome film ever made, that would not be the same without a truckload of CGI.

HAHA spoken like a true fanboy

To this day, in my mind at least, Jurassic Park is the best implementation of CGI. The Iron Man movies have done really well with it, too.

Either Lord of the Rings or King Kong. Both are very realistic without being flashy in my opinion. King Kong is very superb with the CGI.

Although there is always Eragon.... haha just kidding.

Definitely the Harry Potter movies for me...

How rubbish would they've been if they were just pointing wands at each other and falling over?

Last Starfighter... I love that movie.

Okay, favorite movie that "required" CGI

The Abyss - that water creature couldn't have been done without it.
Toy Story - if CGI in animation counts.

lol the funny thing is, pretty much every single movie made nowadays has CGI in it.

Even scenes of romantic comedies with no action or special things have "Digital Botanists".

hah!

As a big geek, I've watched and loved all of those movies. I love good CGI (hell, I love BAD CGI). I love watching giant spaceships and dragons and eldritch horrors from beyond. CGI is definitely an effective way of achieving those visions and can create some amazing, jaw-dropping experiences. Sometimes there is definitely no way to replicate those visions with practical effects.

But:

At the end of the day, that isn't the story, that's the vision. A good story is a good story if you went all out on CGI or if you filmed shadow puppets. I can't think of a single story that couldn't be told without the particular visuals that were used. Absolutely the creature in the Abyss would be imposible to do without computers. But could you tell the story without showing the creature? Of course you could (and it's a great film, so it would hold up). Avatar was jaw droppingly beautiful...could it have been without computers? Of course (hell, I've had jaw-dropped reactions to well done matte paintings, let alone expensive flyover shots).

Again, I love CGI. I think it's a wonderful tool that can create a cinematic experience unlike anything else. But it's a color. You can tell a wonderful story without green. I think that is the contention that is made when saying "CGI is unnecessary". Well, that and a bit of envy (myself definitely included here)!

Anyway, Jurassic Park blew my mind. Sin City was a blast, and wonderful. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within I would have enjoyed if the words "final fantasy" weren't in the title (though wise for a mainstream release. I loved "Advent Children", but most who didn't play FF7 were lost). There was great CGI in Lord of the Rings, and likely will be in the Hobbit as well. Hellboy 2 stands in my mind recently. And yeah, Tron, Last Starfighter, Lawnmower Man...beautiful stuff! Oh, and we're mentioning animation, both Up and Despicable Me were really great.

I hate to echo what others have said, but Jurassic Park. Definitly most realistic animals (Or CGi for that matter) that I've seen. It's odd how this old piece looks much better than most modern CGI blockbusters.

It's closest we've come so far too see how these once real creatures behaved and looked.

Avatar may have been good looking but it felt like watching video game. CGI feels more realistic if you blend it in with the live-action/environment, rather than the other way around! But I digress :)

Then there is more "artistic CGI", where it's all about cinematography and artistic stuff rather than realism. For that kind CGI it's hard for me to answer. Maybe the Pirate movies with Johnny Depp, if I remember correctly they had some pretty neat imagery/scenery.

Last edited:
It's funny to think that the laptop I'm typing on right now is a faster computer than what they created the FX of Jurassic Park with.

Back