news Family of Jeffrey Dahmer Victim Slams ‘Cruel’ Netflix Series: ‘Retraumatizing Over and Over Again’

True-crime TV audiences seem to have an endless appetite, but the true-crime victims have had more than enough. Eric Perry, cousin of Jeffrey Dahmer victim Errol Lindsey, spoke out on Twitter to express his discomfort with “Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story,” Ryan Murphy and Ian Brennan’s new Netflix series that stars Evan Peters as the infamous serial killer.

I’m not telling anyone what to watch, I know true crime media is huge rn, but if you’re actually curious about the victims, my family (the Isbell’s) are pissed about this show. It’s retraumatizing over and over again, and for what? How many movies/shows/documentaries do we need? https://t.co/CRQjXWAvjx

— eric. (@ericthulhu) September 22, 2022

“I’m not telling anyone what to watch, I know true crime media is huge rn, but if you’re actually curious about the victims, my family (the Isbell’s) are pissed about this show,” he wrote. “Recreating my cousin having an emotional breakdown in court in the face of the man who tortured and murdered her brother is WILD.”

Perry also noted that because the murders are public record, producers of true crime shows are not required to notify the families of the victims they portray. Perry says that nobody from “Monster” contacted his family, and that they found out about the show at the same time as everyone else.

“So when they say they’re doing this ‘with respect to the victims’ or ‘honoring the dignity of the families,’ no one contacts them,” he wrote. “My cousins wake up every few months at this point with a bunch of calls and messages and they know there’s another Dahmer show. It’s cruel.”

The show’s production team has defended the project, saying that the goal was never to humanize Dahmer but instead to show the perspectives of the victims and explain the ways that race and sexuality informed the killings.

“We had one rule going into this from Ryan [Murphy], that it would never be told from Dahmer’s point of view,” Peters said in a promotional video. “It’s called ‘The Jeffrey Dahmer Story,’ but it’s not just him and his backstory: It’s the repercussions, it’s how society and our system failed to stop him multiple times because of racism, homophobia. It’s just a tragic story.”

Still, Perry doesn’t think that those efforts were enough to justify the show’s existence.

“It’s retraumatizing over and over again, and for what?” he wrote. “How many movies/shows/documentaries do we need?

How many movies/shows/documentaries do we need?

You heard it everyone. We don't need anymore movies or tv shows.
There's enough of them already.

Time to pack it in and go home.

Season 9 Wow GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Last edited:
I watched Dahmer.

it makes me feel like a good son that my parents could be proud of.
Cause ya know, compared to him..

I watched Dahmer.

it makes me feel like a good son that my parents could be proud of.
Cause ya know, compared to him..
If you ever want to feel like a genius, just go over and read anything on Quora for 10 minutes. You'll walk away feeling like the smartest person in the world.

It's like everyone on there is a version of Deepak Chopra with a severe brain injury.

Question "My 11 year old kid shot me while I was letting him and his sister play with my handguns, will I get in trouble if I go to the emergency room"

This is your first clue that you have stumbled into a group of unintelligent people.

Answer "what most people don't know is that you can wear special chakra enhancing crystals, that would prevent the evil spirits that no doubt caused your son to shoot you. The solution is clear to an enlightened soul. You must lock your son in a closet with hundreds of guns, and tell him he cannot come out until he has shot all of them. In this way you have made a fun and forbidden thing into a chore. Soon, your child will realize that Haile Selassie is the one true reincarnation of Christ. For further help, read my article "10 ways that smiling can make you a millionaire""

And of course I always read the subline about the author of the answer.

"Zorlac Druveldavic is a highly respected thinker, and is gainfully employed as an advice dispenser. He has a family of 5, with no financial problems and 3 paid off mortgages. Listed as one of the 10 smartest people on Quora, he watches badly translated episodes of Dr Oz every day, in order to provide the best information to our community."

Honestly, I totally agree with the families here. Although the show is very well done, very well acted... Even though they have "intentions", they are achieving exactly the opposite of those intentions in my opinion.

They say it doesn't come from Dahmer's perspective, but that's all the show is. How does that make any sense, as we are taken into Dahmer's childhood, and made to sympathize slightly while he struggles with his parents divorce, and being practically abandoned as a young man for 3 months alone?

The only thing I hear from people is how "bad they feel" for him. So yes, the show is having the opposite effect of what the intentions were.

So, yes, honestly the relatives and victims have every right to be upset. But once its out in the world, its out in the world. Just shows that sometimes media expands into more than just entertainment... And takes on a whole new level of human interaction.

Back