• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Faking making out on film - Help!

I'm currently making a movie that involves a player making out with three different girls in the beginning of the movie. However, since I'm making it in a high school class, it can't have any inappropriate subject in it (including making out.). So I was wondering if anyone has ideas about how I can shoot the scenes to give the idea that the two characters had just made out, without actually showing it.

Please discuss any ideas that you might have, because I only have one but I need three! :weird:

Help!

They could be re-arranging their clothes & hair, looking a bit awkward/embarrassed/self-conscious.
The girls can also clean off smeared lipstick & re-apply it.
Also retrieve an earring or hairclip from sofa or chair cushions.

Always remember this - the audience's imagination is much more wonderful than ANYTHING you can show on camera.

In horror - a saw coming in towards someone's leg and then cutting to the face screaming.

In this case, great suggestion about the wiping lipstick away.

Here I think you serve your audience better if you pay special attention to the music and pacing of the shot. Give it a slow build.

If you can imply them going in for the kiss... maybe cut to the actors hands - his hand on her back or in her hair depending on the intensity that you imply and her hands near his hip.

Again here more than anything the score and music is going to be crucial.

Or this... if you have a long kiss... and it's a high school thing

Have them in the halls (breaking the PDA rule is always fun) standing underneath a clock...

show them moving in as you tilt and or pedestal up to the clock. Put on some Luther Vandross :) stay on the clock for a while (and please do NOT include the lip smacking sounds of kissing) and then come back down to show the actors pulling away and then her wiping her lips.

REMEMBER... the longer you are on the clock (or any other similar devices) the more time your audience has to let their imagination roam

Some good suggestions already.

Make a list of the things that are inappropriate so you can find out what you have left to work with. Go to your teacher, counselor, etc. for an assist in drawing up the list.

And it probably comes as no surprise from me, but you can do it with sound. We hear the sounds of making out through a door. Someone walks up to the door (make the footsteps obvious so the couple hears it) and we hear (through the door) the sounds of the couple(s) getting themselves back together. When the door opens we see the disheveled couple (as mentioned by mlesemann) trying to look as if nothing has happened.

If it is set in a school, use a janitor's closet as the location. Apply Alcove's audio advice to the closed door. A short time later the door opens and a girl exits with smeared lipstick and messy hair. She closes the door behind her. Quick cut to a different girl exiting the same closet. Repeat one more time. Instead of closing the closet door, the last girl looks both ways down the hall and gestures into the closet. Player exits with a huge grin on his face. The same principals can be applied to almost any location, such as the front/bedroom door of Player's house.

If it is set in a school, use a janitor's closet as the location. Apply Alcove's audio advice to the closed door. A short time later the door opens and a girl exits with smeared lipstick and messy hair. She closes the door behind her. Quick cut to a different girl exiting the same closet. Repeat one more time. Instead of closing the closet door, the last girl looks both ways down the hall and gestures into the closet. Player exits with a huge grin on his face. The same principals can be applied to almost any location, such as the front/bedroom door of Player's house.

Wasn't that used in the Fight for Your Right To Party video like 20 years ago?

Beware cliche.

The guy is in a utility closet, all we see is the 3 girls enter the closet one after another. jump cut each girl coming out with messed up hair, smeared make-up, fixing clothing, etc. Maybe the guy emerges with a smile, or if he's really cool, he comes out looking like james dean.

Edit: I just read Lucky Hardwood's post! haha

just have the back of one persons head block the other persons face.. lean in a little bit or grab their head and it looks like they're making out

Maybe I should be selling Mary Kay.

Maybe I should film Mike & Mara selling Mary Kay together. :lol:

51loTk6AD1L._SY300_.jpg

Back