• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Facepalm fail :(

UUUUGHGHGH!!! just spend 5 hours editing footage from my weekend shoot when I realized that i was cutting video files with on-camera mic, instead of my h4n synced clips :(((
well.. now I'll have to spend an hour or two to cut my audio pieces as well to match it to video :((

No wonder I thought the audio sounded like sh*t :(( And I was about to email my audio guy and tell him his ntg3 is the most useless equipment since the self kicking ass machine!
snapshot-2008-01-04-08-52-54img_assist_custom1.jpg

I need a break..

What are your latest biggest fails?

Last edited:
Heh, if someone ever built a machine like that, I'd totally try it out. :lol:

Latest big fail? Took on DoP gig for flat rate for X days, and shoot days ended up being double the estimate. Could have been worse. :)

my old company had us film stupid e-learning videos for 4 days in a row, we edited on a mac pro for about 2 weeks to get it right, 2 days before it was to be published someone re-installed the os, because it beach balled...

My biggest fail. Attempting to prove that anyone, including the lowest common denominator can be trained up enough to fill a worthy and contributing spot on a team. I lost that bet... big time.

Lesson learned.

Well that's the biggest fail I'd like to admit to ;)

Once I accidentally tripped over my power strip cord, which was connected to my desktop and 2 external hard drives, which were backing up at the time. It corrupted all the files on those drives including that current edit of the feature length I was editing. Set me back 2 days. Major bummer!

UUUUGHGHGH!!! just spend 5 hours editing footage from my weekend shoot when I realized that i was cutting video files with on-camera mic, instead of my h4n synced clips :(((

I don't understand.

That's how I do it. I cut my video files and then go look for the appropriate audio files on the zoom once I've chosen which take I'll go with. There is another way ?

Yeah, connecting the audio first is much faster, especially with something like synth eyes or the auto synching in FCPx. These do it automagically, then you just have to edit and done -- then bring them into your audio program to finesse the audio.

dlevanchuk,
I THINK you can still work the way you want to. I THINK there are ways in PPRO to REPLACE footage in an existing cut with footage from another sequence\footage..

if so then..

You create a sequence for each ORIGINAL shot (not each cut)
Line up the audio in that sequence
then while holding some magical key combination you can drag the sequence over the shot in the time line and so long as both have the same footage and same start, your "synced" sequence should not replace the non-synced footage, cuts intact.

This ^^^ is all conjecture

Another way that I know works, but is kinda dumb..
is to sync the shot in a sequence and then export it as footage. (highest quality of course)
Then you can use the "replace footage" menu option to replace ALL your cuts with the synced audio version...
I say its dumb becuase you render footage twice.

Last edited:
I prefer to pick the audio after so far in case there is audio from a different take, that you like better than the best video take. though i am finding that i rarely matches and is not worth it. so perhaps doing before is better.

For the record

In Premiere Pro cs5.5

So say you finished your edit and forgot to sync sound for the footage or other wise want to sync sound after the edit.

You could do this:

What were going to do is create a new sequence from our original footage sync the audio and video in that new sequence
Then replace all the clips that use the original footage with the same cuts but from our new synced sequence.

easy enough, there are a few ways to do some of these steps but I've tried to keep it as fast and convenient as possible.
Ill try to point out why each step is important.

• Open your "editing sequence" this is the sequence where you dropped in all your footage cuts.
  • Find the clip for which you want to replace the clip with synced audio version.
  • Move the playhead over the clip and make sure that video track is active
  • Press the M key ("match frame", different key in mac) This will open the original footage in the "source monitor"
  • Right click inside the "source monitor" chose "clear in and out"
  • Left click and drag the footage from the source monitor onto the "New Item" icon below the Project panel.
    This will create a new sequence from the original footage, including all of the footage.
    If you skipped the "clear in and out" step you will have only the footage from the clip as denoted by the in and out points when you pressed the "m" key
    The sequence will have the same name as the original footage which comes in handy when trying to find it later on in the process
  • In this new sequence sync your audio to the footage.
  • Once your done with syncing that file, open the "editing sequence"
  • Find your clip you want to replace with the synced sequence and then Shift + Alt Drag the synced sequence you just made from the project panel onto the clip. If you read the status message it will say "Drop onto another clip to replace the clip, leaving the effects in place"
Thats it, in 9 easy steps you now have synced audio in your original non synced(?) edit sequence.

Points of interest.

If you Shift+Alt Drag the sequence onto un-linked footage, you only replace the footage, conversely if you shift+alt drag onto un-linked audio you only replace the audio

Works wit J\L cuts just fine. If your like me and forget to "re-link" your audio\footage in your j cuts then the above point comes into play.

Once you have "synced" a piece of footage, you can shift+alt Drag it onto any clip you made from that same footage. You don't need to do it for every clip\cut of the same footage.
Unless of course you skipped the "clear in and out" step.

Follow up: If anyone cares Iv been using this exact technique for two days now and it works great, way faster then it seems it would be!

Last edited:
Back