• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

EXILE sci-fi movie is...done!

In the trailer, the shot where the ship is flying/ skidding along the ground looks really good. The smoke could blend a little more cleanly, but the ship is convincingly comped! Very cool. This looks good and if I don't end up as the proud winner of a copy, I'll save up to buy one for sure.

The ship and planet FX were done in Maya, by James Rogers. His first time making such FX. I was in my truck, going 55mph and shot that background plate, out the window.

Yes, you are a proud winner. You should have your copy today or tomorrow. TheBuck got his, today.

Four DVDs have been given out. There is still one free copy left if someone wants it.

I about fell off of my chair when I read this...

I think this could get a decent cult following if it gets picked up by a decent distro. The weird thing is I didn't want to do anything sexual to any of the cast... I must be getting old.

Ha ha! You should have had a "Cold Shower" rating meter! :D Just so you know, the movie is on IMDB, at THIS LINK. No one has voted there, yet.

Thanks for the review, Buck!!!

Cool! Ordered on Thursday, it arrived on Saturday. :cool:

Gonna fix me a drink and settle down to watch this masterpiece up on the projector.

No shit sorry dude I didn't even see it on imdb I must have missed it. I will change that.
And now it is fixed. Thanks for the movie. If you want any others reviewed feel free to send them my way :)

Last edited:
Thanks, TheBuck.

Steve - watching in style!

Also, if you guys poke around on the Special Features' page (cursor to the right of OFF WORLD), there is a 90 second short, BIG DREAMS. Pretty cool sequence of a giant foot squashing a guy. It's also here on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/35tEOHt76fM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/35tEOHt76fM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Is there still a free copy left, because i would love to see this movie, but im pretty much broke after spending all of my money on birthday presents for girlfriend. if there is a copy still up for grabs i would love it though, if not cool. this movie looks quite awesome, i cant immagine the skill it takes to make something like this

Is there still a free copy left, because i would love to see this movie, but im pretty much broke after spending all of my money on birthday presents for girlfriend.

Yes! Hard to believe that it took this many days to give away 5 copies. It's yours, man! :D

The giveaway is officially complete.

I think people feel a little guilty about taking stuff that's offered for free when they know the costs involved.

I think people feel a little guilty about taking stuff that's offered for free when they know the costs involved.

This is true. I felt guilty. But we've also given out free copies of our movies too...I know the method behind this madness. I will be sure to share the movie with my other filmmaker friends, crew, and actors...get the word out, and if people like it, they'll order it for themselves. Perhaps that's not your reasoning...but it's only 5 copies...that's not going to break anyone's bank.

Thanks again for my copy...I anxiously await it in the mail.

I gave out 30 copies to half a dozen forums. But, I think it's a good way to get some word out, so it's worth it to me. Another dozen given to reviewers or cast, so I've been to the post office, a bit. :lol:

OK. I've watched both the film and the doc.

I expect certain things from a low budget sci fi film:
1) Slightly Cheesy costumes, check - although, I must say, they weren't all that bad
2) Big Alien who we end up seeing in a slightly disappointing full shot, check - although the look at it in the Doc wasn't all that bad... the filter applied to get rid of the fur looked a bit off rather than other worldly.
3) Horrible FX make-up, sadly lacking, this stuff was actually quite good.
4) Campy acting - a little bit, but not that bad all around. The actors actually did a good job, which was a nice surprise.
5) Bad CG elements - They were here, and not... um... There were some shots that Stuck out alot, however most of that was because I watched it on a Mac and am assuming it was color corrected on a PC without the use of the scopes. The blacks were washed out on the non-cg elements, while nice and rich on the CG. The silver fighters in the sky... absolutely convincing! The crash landing ship. Well composited into a great moving plate, but again, the blacks didn't match the plate. The fire was a bit unblended as well in that shot, and perhaps a bit too saturated. This is the worst part of this movie, which makes it really acceptable as a low-budget sci fi indy film in my book.
6) Horrible story, sadly, this was really lacking - from concept to dialog, it was of unusually good quality - darn you for dashing my expectations... Even the ending was good - grrr.
7) Bad Audio, nope, almost perfect... I heard off camera noise twice and a stray echo once
8) The music didn't interfere with the story
9) Amateurish camera work - Mostly spot on, some frames that were slightly static, none that were bad in terms of movement.
10) Crappy Editing: good, there were no points I found myself yelling "CUT!" at the screen (I really do that).

Overall, if the color correction had been better, I'd be able to say that I've seen less professional stuff on the scifi(syfy) channel. That was really the only sticking point for me.

So in terms of meeting my expectations, this film is a complete failure except for the color correction gaffes... Which is to say, this is really an exceptional piece of work considering its budget and crew size. Well done! Exceedingly watchable! I even liked the ending, which is really unusual for me to say about an indy flick!

Scoopic, if you'd like, I'll take some screencaps for you so you can see what it looks like on my screen (mac gamma is closer to TV gamma than PC gamma is) I'll show you the graphs if you'd like as well.

I hope this film makes you all a profit... I want to see more from you!

Knightly, thanks for going through all those points! Also, I'm happy that this wasn't what you expected.

Yeah, I was guaging the color to a PC, which was also running out to a television (not a pro monitor). But, I know what you are talking about because there is a flat screen TV at my work which showed the mismatches that you are talking about. With this small run batch of DVDs, I would suggest that everyone watch them on a television.

If a big distributor picks it up, they will mark all this on a Quality Control Report (QCR), which I will have to meet. I've had this problem with not having "true blacks" before.

I hope this film makes you all a profit... I want to see more from you!

Thankyou! Admittedly, I am broke, so it may be awhile before the next feature. I mentioned to my wife something about the next feature being a horror film and she about clocked me. LOL! Too bad about this recession, though my fingers are crossed.

I do have other films. It is very cheap (much less than EXILE), but our superchick movie THE AWAKENING is a lot of fun. Lots of shooting, cars getting tipped over, etc.!

AFMPoster.jpg

Mike and Tamra:

mikeandtamra.jpg

Heather (the android) is also in it.

Heather.jpg

Tipping a real van:

vantip.jpg

Models and greenscreen, too!

Mikegreenscreens6.jpg

We made it for $5,900, which basically went to food, costume, Marine and Black Op uniforms and props. Nothing really fancy, but there are scenes that are pretty crazy - she literally knocks a guy's head off, etc. There is a trailer, HERE.

Last edited:
Hey Mike,

Watched Exile the other night and enjoyed it. The making-of doc was fun, too. I'll post a review when I have more time -- I'm gripping on an industrial promo for Pepsi at the moment.

You are an amazingly prolific filmmaker, and very fortunate to have your wife on board as well. My wife and I have an agreement: I don't ask her to be involved in my productions, in exchange for which she agrees not to stab me in my sleep.

Once he checks his email and send a reply back to me, I will put the interview I did with him up on my companies site. should be some what interesting a read.

Good luck on the Pepsi promo, 2001 Productions!

Thanks for the interview, TheBuck!

I have a favor to ask.... EXILE has no votes or comments on IMDB. If you guys/gals don't mind, could you maybe copy your text from here and paste it in the reviewer comments?

Here is the link:

EXILE at IMDB

Thanks!

Back