Equipment and techniques

Hey I'm pretty new to filmmaking and I'm young so I'm on a kindof low budget . Right now I've got a 720p Sony camcorder, some industrial lights, a couple of microphones, and a glidecam coming in the mail soon. I don't know what else I need as far as equipment goes but I do have a couple of questions
1.camera has no microphone jack so what should I do
2.how do you do selective focus
3.any tips or tricks you can share
I am young so like I said I'm on a low budget. And suggestions would help and thanks for your time

What is the model of the Sony camera? '720p' isn't the model number, that's the output resolution.

Well those in the industry would record their audio on a separate device and then sync the audio and video together in post.

What do you hope to achieve in your film making? One thing I suggest to do is to try and replicate a scene from a film trying to get the same camera angles and similar costumes and such. This way you develop an appreciation for the art as well as a better understanding of how to set up the camera and the scene.

Last edited:
1. Camera has no microphone jack so what should I do. Right now I've got... a couple of microphones...

You use a separate audio recording system. The recorder you select will depend entirely upon your budget and the specific mics you own will dictate how they are connected to the recorder.

Getting the mic off of the camera and properly aimed with a boom-pole will improve your sound greatly.

This thread may be of some help:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=44668

What is the model of the Sony camera? '720p' isn't the model number, that's the output resolution.

Well those in the industry would record their audio on a separate device and then sync the audio and video together in post.

What do you hope to achieve in your film making? One thing I suggest to do is to try and replicate a scene from a film trying to get the same camera angles and similar costumes and such. This way you develop an appreciation for the art as well as a better understanding of how to set up the camera and the scene.

Yeah I know 720p is just resolution but I was saying the quality. But the camera model number is HDR-cx190. And with the audio, what would I plug the mic into to record it? I do watch movies and py attention to the camera angles a lot so ill try your advice. Thanks!

Yeah I was thinking YouTube like you said. Like filming seems like something I really want to get into and I'm working on the equipment but as far as filming god I don't know where to sart or who to get to be in it. Where would you suggest? I was thinking of doing a music video for my band. But as ar as short films go I don't really know what to do? What do you think I should?

So you want to film something but you don't know where to start?

As I said earlier
One thing I suggest to do is to try and replicate a scene from a film trying to get the same camera angles and similar costumes and such. This way you develop an appreciation for the art as well as a better understanding of how to set up the camera and the scene.

Actors wise surely you have at least one friend who loves being an actor of some degree.

Alternatively act in it yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGqjLCVc5sQ

Look what I've progressed to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_knuHLJ04
^thats from networking and meeting new people and stealing* equipment from my school :D

* note in this case stealing refers to asking my teacher if I can borrow lights and sound equipment for the holidays, but this was after building quite a trust up where I was doing (and still am doing even though I've left...) various film work for the school

The quality on the handycam sort of looks like crap. Can I can edit it for better quality? I want to start a film project using the cameras mentioned above. I really liked how the blair witch project, cloverfield looked.

The quality on the handycam sort of looks like crap. Can I can edit it for better quality? I want to start a film project using the cameras mentioned above. I really liked how the blair witch project, cloverfield looked.

You can shoot for better quality. Light your scenes, lower the dynamic range in your scene, zoom in all the way to get shallower depth etc.

Blair Witch was shot on a handycam - a Hi8 one - with relatively inexperienced crew. Cloverfield may have attempted to fool the audience into thinking it was shot on a handycam, but it was shot on expensive digital cinema cameras - namely the Sony F23 and Thompson Viper ($60,000+ cameras at the time). All the scenes were lit, and of course there was a buttload of visual effects. They also had really experienced crew - it was shot, for example, by Michael Bonvillain, who shot Lost, Zombieland and most recently Hansel and Gretel Witchhunters, amongst others.

Both films look completely different, though they are both 'found footage' films.

Is there any free or cheap programs I can use to get my idea on to paper? I go to an Art Institute and and a bunch of people interested in helping out with this project. I just have to get the idea onto paper. Being a college student puts me on a low budget to begin with. Are you apart of the Werewolves In Heat Production?

You can shoot for better quality. Light your scenes, lower the dynamic range in your scene, zoom in all the way to get shallower depth etc.

Blair Witch was shot on a handycam - a Hi8 one - with relatively inexperienced crew. Cloverfield may have attempted to fool the audience into thinking it was shot on a handycam, but it was shot on expensive digital cinema cameras - namely the Sony F23 and Thompson Viper ($60,000+ cameras at the time). All the scenes were lit, and of course there was a buttload of visual effects. They also had really experienced crew - it was shot, for example, by Michael Bonvillain, who shot Lost, Zombieland and most recently Hansel and Gretel Witchhunters, amongst others.

Both films look completely different, though they are both 'found footage' films.

I want to do a zombie/undead film about a guy who returns from overseas to find his hometown in chaos. Sort of like Red Dawn.

Selective Focusing?

Is there some kind of way in the editing to focus kindof like how a lot of cameras have a focus dial. Well is can you do that semi easily in a editing software?

Is there some kind of way in the editing to focus kindof like how a lot of cameras have a focus dial. Well is can you do that semi easily in a editing software?

Not really, no. Most cameras have manual focus, even if the manual focus is controlled by a knob or touch screen rather than a physical focus ring. Zoom to the maximum of your camera's optical zoom, and then use the camera's manual focus, or alternately design the frame so it's auto focus doesn't get confused and you'll get better results.

Is there any free or cheap programs I can use to get my idea on to paper? I go to an Art Institute and and a bunch of people interested in helping out with this project. I just have to get the idea onto paper. Being a college student puts me on a low budget to begin with. Are you apart of the Werewolves In Heat Production?

Guessing that you mean the screenplay, I would recommend Celtx.

www.celtx.org

Yeah I was thinking YouTube like you said. Like filming seems like something I really want to get into and I'm working on the equipment but as far as filming god I don't know where to sart or who to get to be in it. Where would you suggest? I was thinking of doing a music video for my band. But as ar as short films go I don't really know what to do? What do you think I should?
Find some YT videos you'd like to do something close to, post them here, and we'll see what it'd take to approximate them.
It'll be a beginning.

No. Not really.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846696-REG/Sony_HDR_CX190E_CX190E_Full_HD_Flash.html
Specs indicate it has manual focus and exposure:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/sony-handycam-hdr-cx190/4507-6500_7-35128679.html
Can you manually set & lock the aperture?
(Oh, and it can shoot 1080i just fine, BTW.)

Do you still have the receipt for this?

Is it possible to do a full length feature film on a sony dcr-sx85 handycam and newer smartphones? For editing and such I'm using CS 6 Master collection.
Yes, it is.
Steve, be nice.

MBay, yeah, but it isn't going any further than youtube if you know how to upload a feature length film there.

I want to do a zombie/undead film about a guy who returns from overseas to find his hometown in chaos. Sort of like Red Dawn.
Done effing to death, but gopherit: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=zombie+short&page=1

Is there any free or cheap programs I can use to get my idea on to paper?... I just have to get the idea onto paper. Being a college student puts me on a low budget to begin with.
Celtx version 2.9.1 is the last FREE hassle-free version: http://download.cnet.com/Celtx/3000-13631_4-10850080.html

Then learn what to do with it: http://www.scribd.com/doc/12721428/Professional-Screenplay-Formatting-Guide

This thread may be useful to you guys: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=28645

Last edited:
Steve, be nice.

I am being nice. :huh:

It's a simple answer to a simple question.

I'll even up my answer. Not only is it possible to shoot a feature on mbay2008's afore-mentioned sony dcr-sx85 handycam, but you could make an award-winning feature at that.
smiley_colbert.gif

Back