• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

EQing a track for warmth. Freeware Soundforge or PSP Vintage Warmer?

I need to 'warm up' a track of someone speaking. I used to use Sony Sound Forge and Vintage Warmer but I can't get my hands on it now. Damn.

Audacity is OK but not good enough, unless someone knows a good plug in. I'm using Adobe Elements for a rough draft of the movie. (Yes, I know, I know)

I need a nice vaccuum tube sound if possible. The original track is too tinny sounding.

Any ideas?

Thx...

Talking about sound is like liking a photograph...

On my other now forget forum, HomreRecordingReview, WARM is the ONLY banned word :)

excessive tinny is an EQ problem. The tube plugin helps because tubes ALSO change the eq curve.. you might just play with a parametric eq (don't know if that program comes with one, its pretty common tool so Id think so.. )

(FYI: Iv yet to apply ANY of my sound and music experience to my own movie effort. im focused on basics .. )

Thanks for your help all I will check out those suggestions. I suppose I could research the parametric EQ graph of a tube amp and fake it on my software....
Tube amp? Tube compressor? Tube pre-amp? The problem with that is every piece of tube gear has a different EQ curve, and the better the piece of gear the more transparent it is. "Warmth" is a very subjective term; what sounds warm to some may sound obnoxious to others. And unless you are willing to spend A LOT of money I haven't heard a plug-in that really did what it claimed to do - at least where "warmth", "fatness", "tube sound" or "tape saturation" is concerned - and at that price you may as well spend a little more and buy a nice piece of tube gear which sounds better than the expensive plug-ins.

There's not much you can do with "thin" sound. Yes, you can add EQ and other plug-ins, but it is very difficult to create what is not there to begin with.

Try some old guitar god tricks..

Double up the track, time shifting one just a bit (microseconds)
Re amp into the REAL world.. meaning set up an amp, a speaker (presume they sound good) and microphone. Playback the track through the amp\speaker, and record that to a new track with the microphone.

AUX send to a compressor, squash the heck out of it, and blend back .. just a little..

AA, you're right- there's no way to fake it in the end but Vintage warmer does a pretty good job. Maybe it's not true tube but it gives anything I run through it a nice feel. You're right, might be best to just get some hardware and stop messing around.

Wheatgrinder. I like micro-budget ingenuity, I'm at the same level myself... Doubling up/timeshifting, never even thought of that. I might just run it through some speakers like you said.

Back